Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    You are going at it right, It is somewhat rare to have the electrics fail on these but nothing lasts forever.
    Isn't that the truth. How crucial is it if the Reed's are good but the exhaust tuner wasn't changed. Reason I ask is I don't want to dive too deep into this thing. I just bought it and am hoping to enjoy it this summer still. Question being can I just make sure the reeds match the carbs with out burning it down. Stock jets and all.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No issue with the tuner, I ran the original for most of my time, Did not swap the tuner till I was swapping on a real Excel motor.

You might want to check numbers on the heads to see if they sapped them. It will still be a great motor with the original head, tuner and exhaust chest.

Most important thing is to find what is wrong with it.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    If it ain't broke, modify it.
    80 21' Superboat with Yamaha 225 Excel power
    76 Glastron to be powered by a 6.2 L92 with surface drive
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    No issue with the tuner, I ran the original for most of my time, Did not swap the tuner till I was swapping on a real Excel motor.

You might want to check numbers on the heads to see if they sapped them. It will still be a great motor with the original head, tuner and exhaust chest.

Most important thing is to find what is wrong with it.
    I'm not sure what numbers they should be. I cross referenced the carbs with Yamaha parts finder. So basically the carbs, heads, reeds need to be 200hp parts?. I should be able to just reference Yamaha parts finder correct?. Yes I agree the biggest thing is to figure out what's wrong with it but figuring out what has all been done to it should help with the diagnosing of it as well. Once again I really appreciate all your help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The parts do not need to all be 200 bits, just a curiosity. The heads to look for are early special or Excel.
    Old threads on this site has allot of great info. If searching on site does not get you far then Google might get you to them faster.

Look for old posts by Ray Neudecker, he was one who did much of the development on these motors. I was bless to get on this site while before he passed away. There are other very knowledgeable guys here as well.

I know the path to go with the ProV since that is what I have. But I am far from the gurus.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    If it ain't broke, modify it.
    80 21' Superboat with Yamaha 225 Excel power
    76 Glastron to be powered by a 6.2 L92 with surface drive
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Astro92

Couple of other things to think about.
    if the restricted reeds are still in then you won't generating enough air speed through the carb butt that would cause a lean burn. That can be compensated for by using larger jets. (use the 8 petal reed cage as suggested by CharlieN)
    If the engine is four stroking then you could have pin holes in the the diaphragm of one or more of the fuel pumps. I recently had this issue swapped out everything electrical and made no change replaced pumps and bingo it was solved.
    Cheers
    Jason

Sold the old Formula 233.
    Now have a 22ft Whittley Sea Legend powered by 225 Excel with Pro-V 200 covers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 225XCL View Post
    Hi Astro92

if the restricted reeds are still in then you won't generating enough air speed through the carb butt that would cause a lean burn. That can be compensated for by using larger jets. (use the 8 petal reed cage as suggested by CharlieN)
    If the engine is four stroking then you could have pin holes in the the diaphragm of one or more of the fuel pumps. I recently had this issue swapped out everything electrical and made no change replaced pumps and bingo it was solved.
    Cheers
    Jason
    Thanks. I plan on doing the 8 pedal reeds. I found some on eBay used with an intake for 100 American. Do you suggest not running it until I change the reeds. I already rebuilt the fuel pumps and have two new ones on the way.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Astro92

Cheers
    Jason
    Also what do you mean by 4 stroking?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro92 View Post
    Thanks. I plan on doing the 8 pedal reeds. I found some on eBay used with an intake for 100 American. Do you suggest not running it until I change the reeds. I already rebuilt the fuel pumps and have two new ones on the way.
    First things first when a 2 stroke is really rich it won't fire every 2nd stroke and will fire on the subsequent power stroke (4 stroking). You can hear it the engines sound horrible.
    I would verify what reed cages you have and swap them out to the 8 petal if not already done. Double check your electrics, how old are the plugs BTW?

Once you have the intake sorted out and you know where you are at then start trouble shooting, otherwise you are just chasing your tail.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First things first when a 2 stroke is really rich it won't fire every 2nd stroke and will fire on the subsequent power stroke (4 stroking). You can hear it the engines sound horrible.
    I would verify what reed cages you have and swap them out to the 8 petal if not already done. Double check your electrics, how old are the plugs BTW?

Once you have the intake sorted out and you know where you are at then start trouble shooting, otherwise you are just chasing your tail.
    Thanks. I have already verified by looking into the intake with carb off that it only has 4 pedal reeds. I have double checked all electrics and found that bad charge coil on my stator. That is on its way. The plugs are burning rich. Very rich in fact. The plugs were soaked last time I pulled them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this will fit on my 85. Can you help me verify? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F283460277125

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am making the assumption that your motor is a 92 model like the boat That model appears to have the same vertical reed intake as what was in the link so it should be fine.
    I don't know what other guys see but my plugs are always wet after shutdown. I assume the plugs are all black mine are even when its running well after idling for a while.

Another thing to look at for is the float level.
    Last edited by 225XCL; 06-25-2019 at 04:29 AM.

12. Likes LittleCharger liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plugs are more white then brownie black. Be it I don't think it's getting a full burn because of the weak spark either. I checked float height when I rebuilt them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the plugs are white then that would indicate to me that you are lean and not rich. A straw to brown colour would be almost bang on.
    Mine tend to be brown almost black so on the richer side.
    Also are you still using the oil pump or doing a pre mix?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check this link out it will help you read your plugs and what AFR you have.

http://www.vintagebikebuilder.com/uploads/1/6/9/1/16913922/spark-plug-color-chart_3_orig.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So oddly enough according to the manual the stator I just received is checking out bad too? It reads exactly what the stator on my motor reads. Is the manual perhaps wrong? The one charge coil should read 1050 ohm's and the other should read 127 ohm's. The one reads 1040 or so and the other reads 24.5. what are the chances both stators are bad and read the exact same?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast