Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have experienced roughness at low speed acceleration from crap in the jets but cutting out would call for most or all the transition circuit jets being plugged.
    Sure the mixture screws are set as good as they could be?

When you fire up after fishing does the engine get to warm up before the throttle is opened?

If when running, you drop back to idle for a bit and open the throttle again, how does it react?
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    If it ain't broke, modify it.
    80 21' Superboat with Yamaha 225 Excel power
    76 Glastron to be powered by a 6.2 L92 with surface drive
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieN View Post
    I have experienced roughness at low speed acceleration from crap in the jets but cutting out would call for most or all the transition circuit jets being plugged.
    Sure the mixture screws are set as good as they could be?

When you fire up after fishing does the engine get to warm up before the throttle is opened?

If when running, you drop back to idle for a bit and open the throttle again, how does it react?
    From this point on the behaviour is the same. What its not doing is the cold start procedure where the engine RPM's are up until its warm. But it runs very rough straight away. These carbs have been rebuilt and cleaned completely, all I can think of is that there was a load of crap in the system somewhere that is now in the carbs. I will play around with the mixture screws, they are currently set to the spec's in the manual.

Sold the old Formula 233.
    Now have a 22ft Whittley Sea Legend powered by 225 Excel with Pro-V 200 covers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have more than once this past year been running fine and later in the trip had cylinders drop out at idle. Thinking back early in the year for 3 days on a lake I had idle and high throttle, just no transition. All of this has been crap in the jets. This is not the main jets, these are the tiny ones in the float bowls behind the mains.
    I started the season with just the in hull filter separator but soon reinstalled an engine mounted filter separator from a later 250 injected motor. Still will drop off a cylinder at idle from crap in a jet.
    I have two sets of carbs that I clean out in an ultrasonic cleaner, they just do not stay clean.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have more than once this past year been running fine and later in the trip had cylinders drop out at idle. Thinking back early in the year for 3 days on a lake I had idle and high throttle, just no transition. All of this has been crap in the jets. This is not the main jets, these are the tiny ones in the float bowls behind the mains.
    I started the season with just the in hull filter separator but soon reinstalled an engine mounted filter separator from a later 250 injected motor. Still will drop off a cylinder at idle from crap in a jet.
    I have two sets of carbs that I clean out in an ultrasonic cleaner, they just do not stay clean.

I will take them off and give them another clean. I have a 2nd set that were destined for another motor, I may try those and see how they go.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FINALLY FINISHED, look at them go. Thanks to all the guys that have helped along the way, with source parts or providing helpful inputs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Folks, Thanks to DoktorC I now have an excel ignition and computer on my second motor. What a difference that has made.
    My last job is to have these motors jetted as per factory.

I'm looking for 3 x 6e5-1492e-80-00 #160 main jets to suit original excel carbs, if any body has any please let me know.

Cheers
    Jason

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I have spent a small fortune on jets, jet drill's etc.
    Both engines are now at original factory jetting and have the intake sliencers installed.
    Both running well and start better when cold (assume the air box is helping).
    These changes have reduced my combined fuel burn from 66L/h @3500RPm to 59L/h @3500RPM. Engine performamce has not changed (Great).
    Out of interest when I installed the excel ignition on the 2nd motor that alone reduced my cruising fuel burn by 3L/h.

Thats the sensible stuff done.

Now the fun stuff.
    Currently the WOT RPM is 5500 on the excel and only 5100 on bitsa (probably not surprising) with a top speed of 49.6MPH (GPS) with 15 1/4 19P large blade Michigan Wheel apollo props.
    I think this combination could easily spin a set of 20 - 21P 14 5/8 Rev 4's. netting me even better cruising efficiency and possibly better top end.
    What I didn't know until recently was that an 1 inch increase in dia has the same affect on engine load as 1 - 1 1/2 inch increase in pitch. So the above change shouldn't place to much additional load on the yammies.

These motors have provided massives gains in bottom end and mid range power, yet WOT and Top speed hasn't changed much. I guess thats due ot the heavy deep V hull.

Does any body know if the old Yamaha analogue tach gauges lose accuracy over time? Next run out I will disconnect the rev limiter and see if there is any difference, just as a test for the gauges. I odn;t expect any difference.
    Last edited by 225XCL; 12-26-2015 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to upload this previously, this is the first start of the bitsa.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll know this is an old thread but you guys sound like you know your yammys. I just bought a 92 astro with a pro v 150... So I think. It has 200hp carbs on it that much I know. I have done everything I can think of. It seems to be running really rich. It is fine at wot but stumbles out of the hole. I have gone through the entire fuel system and timing as well as a link and sync. Still stumbles. I'm beating my head against a wall here. Please help

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro92 View Post
    I'll know this is an old thread but you guys sound like you know your yammys. I just bought a 92 astro with a pro v 150... So I think. It has 200hp carbs on it that much I know. I have done everything I can think of. It seems to be running really rich. It is fine at wot but stumbles out of the hole. I have gone through the entire fuel system and timing as well as a link and sync. Still stumbles. I'm beating my head against a wall here. Please help
    The Pro V 150 originally had 4 petal reeds where the other 2.6s have 8 petal reed set. You may want to confirm if these were swapped out when the larger throat carbs were installed.

If you pull the carbs off just look in and see if the reed sets have petals on one or both sides.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Charlie I'll look into that. Today I went through and ohm tested all my electrics. I found one of my charge coils is well out of spec so I'll be replacing that. Any good places to look for a stator?? And from what your saying it should have the 4 pedal Reed set?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Pro V 150 originally had 4 petal reeds where the other 2.6s have 8 petal reed set. You may want to confirm if these were swapped out when the larger throat carbs were installed.

If you pull the carbs off just look in and see if the reed sets have petals on one or both sides.
    Thanks Charlie for chiming in. So your saying it should have a 4 pedal Reed set if it is a pro v, but with the larger carbs it should be 8?? I did some testing today and found that I have a charge coil way out of spec so I'll be changing the stator. Do you know of any reasonable places to look for one?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Astro92 View Post
    Thanks Charlie for chiming in. So your saying it should have a 4 pedal Reed set if it is a pro v, but with the larger carbs it should be 8?? I did some testing today and found that I have a charge coil way out of spec so I'll be changing the stator. Do you know of any reasonable places to look for one?
    Originally it came with a 4 petal reed, you want the 8 petal sets.
    I was thinking I did not say that right. What the 150 Pro V is, it is a good 200 HP motor that is strangled at the reed valves and has a restricted tuner. There are also relief notches in the exhaust ports that allow it to be a bit more docile just off idle.

If when the carbs were swapped they changed the reed sets, that makes a major change, But it is possible they put the 200 carbs on with the bigger jets but if it has 4 petal reeds it is like it is trying the breath through a straw.

But you need to follow that ignition system out, it might just be running on 4 cylinders. Mine did that after some work. Could barely get on plane. Boat went 28. I found corrosion in a few terminals and it then went 65.

So your issue could be the electrics as you are discovering and not carbs.
    Also clean every terminal you can find before you spend money. These motors are reliable, it is the stupid stuff that can take them down.
    I can not help with where to buy at this time, I have been out of it for awhile.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally it came with a 4 petal reed, you want the 8 petal sets.
    I was thinking I did not say that right. What the 150 Pro V is, it is a good 200 HP motor that is strangled at the reed valves and has a restricted tuner. There are also relief notches in the exhaust ports that allow it to be a bit more docile just off idle.

If when the carbs were swapped they changed the reed sets, that makes a major change, But it is possible they put the 200 carbs on with the bigger jets but if it has 4 petal reeds it is like it is trying the breath through a straw.

But you need to follow that ignition system out, it might just be running on 4 cylinders. Mine did that after some work. Could barely get on plane. Boat went 28. I found corrosion in a few terminals and it then went 65.

So your issue could be the electrics as you are discovering and not carbs.
    Also clean every terminal you can find before you spend money. These motors are reliable, it is the stupid stuff that can take them down.
    I can not help with where to buy at this time, I have been out of it for awhile.
    Awesome thanks for the help. If you don't mind can I bug you from time to time while I try to figure this thing out. I believe they may have started the 200 up mods but not sure how far they went. Checking the Reed's will be an indication of that. I have over looked every electric connection while I was testing everything. I also took the coils off and cleaned all the grounds as well.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are going at it right, It is somewhat rare to have the electrics fail on these but nothing lasts forever.
    Regards,
    Charlie North
    87 Glastron CVX20 Hull

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast