Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about first start up on fresh built powerhead

I have my powerhead assembled and installed onto the mid for a couple weeks at this point. I used 2 stroke oil very heavy while assembling the pistons into the bores, but as it has sat for several weeks and looks like it will possibly be setting at least one more a question has stuck in the back of my head like a song that you just can't seem to forget.

With the oil having surely drained off the pistons and settled into the exhaust chest and lower ports, should I spray some fogging oil or some other lubricant into the cylinders before I start the process of firing it for the first time? I am certain that there will remain a very light film of oil on the surfaces but I don't know if I should give a little more since it has sat for this long without firing it.

Slimm
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It'll be fine.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Fire it up

Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you friends

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slimm i fired mine yesterday and can i say im impressed with james port work ive had Ruck do several upgrades thru the years for me on various ideas but ill have to say James perry is the winner as to porting this guy does port work that is the absolute cleanest ive ever seen and its a very nasty soundin PROMAX for sure but i had to take the 34CC off i had 150 lbs comp right off the reel and i know its going up im a happy camper to day and i got my 300x back from James so here i go again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh yeah lots of folks have different procedures they assemble by i guess i was taught right Tommy Warren he showed me how to build motors long ago and when he started he had me mix up gas and oil about 25 ; 1 and i assemble that first motor with that mix and after a whole bunch of motors later and a lot of years im still doing it!!! what makes sense??? assemble with what youll be burning for fuel no foreign stuff
    Last edited by TEXAS20225; 04-03-2014 at 08:31 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS20225 View Post
    Slimm i fired mine yesterday and can i say im impressed with james port work ive had Ruck do several upgrades thru the years for me on various ideas but ill have to say James perry is the winner as to porting this guy does port work that is the absolute cleanest ive ever seen and its a very nasty soundin PROMAX for sure but i had to take the 34CC off i had 150 lbs comp right off the reel and i know its going up im a happy camper to day and i got my 300x back from James so here i go again
    Hey there buddy. I am so excited to hear this thing I can't even stop thinking about it. I actually dreamed about firing it up and getting everything tuned and hearing it pop and crack last night. I woke up smiling like a kid with a bouncy ball. I wish I had another boat to do it all over again (as long as money wasn't an issue) so I could do more extensive work and have another toy to scare myself with. Now you got my heart rate up wanting to hear this thing. I can only imagine how snappy the throttle response will be and don't even get me started as to how bad I wanna feel it pin me in the seat when I pull her ears back and let her stretch her legs a little...I might hit the water and decide to never come home again!

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I do alot before start up on any new motor is fill the bearing oil hoses with fresh oil and fire it up. Might smoke but the atleast the it ain't dry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DOC W View Post
    The only thing I do alot before start up on any new motor is fill the bearing oil hoses with fresh oil and fire it up. Might smoke but the atleast the it ain't dry
    I used the Pro Marine (relabeled Doc Tranny) blue assembly lube. I hadn't thought about filling those hoses with oil, I think I just might do that tomorrow, I don't care about the smoke or the plugs...we have a small stream that runs beside the shop that tends to harbor mosquitoes so maybe the extra smoke will put them off a couple weeks!

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya I fill the top to bottom main full and put a squit in each main and have never had problem

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DOC W View Post
    Ya I fill the top to bottom main full and put a squit in each main and have never had problem
    I understand filling the tube from the lower bearing to the top bearing but how do you go about squirting some oil on the other bearings after it is assemble fully?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We always use CRC Fogging oil to assemble them.. It stays there until it gets cranked.. One was stored for about 5 years and it was still in there as we removed the heads being concerned but just re torqued the heads back and cranked it up.. It smoked a lot as it burned the CRC away and the lightweight grease form the wrist pins assembly.. Great Stuff. It still runs today several years later..
    20ft Gambler with Merc 260
    Too many projects to liist..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we start a carb motor for the first time we pump up fuel good and choke the carbs and crank motor over for about 15 sec until you can smell fuel coming out of the cyl (of corse have plugs grounded prop). You can actually hear the motor pick up rpm at cranking as the fuel and oil works it's way through the motor. Then install plugs and motor will fire off in half a turn usually. Then hold at about 1500 rpm and continue to choke and flood motor with a 25/1 gas oil mix for another 15/20 sec. I don't rev the motor past that for the first couple mins. Doing it that way and with all of its assembly lube help to coat all vital engine parts before the motor is under the first stress of start up. This has always worked great for me. It's prob a little over kill but its habit now so that's it. Like mentioned before everyone will have there own opinion and right way to do it so time to come up with yours. Hope maybe this helps.
    Stan carson.