Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

marine machine ram with latham wing plate

Ok so I have 9" marine machine ram and a Latham wing plate for a 250xs. I believe that the plate will work on my 300xs as mids are same.

Is the 9" m. Machine ram same dimensions as a Latham? I ask bc I want to use Latham plate w m.machine ram and I'm wondering if mounting hole on latham plate is in right position for marine machine 9" ram.

Thanks all!

Silverton section of Toms River, NJ/Stuart, Florida
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Superbender can make you a marine machine plate. He made mine. I guess he didnt have the latham one still available to him.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try it first. I have twin 300xs with Marine Machine rams with Latham wingplates and everything bolted right up. I didn't have to make any modifications.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	steering.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	293972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finished Daytona 4.jpg 
Views:	213 
Size:	195.6 KB 
ID:	293974

4. Likes NAVISPEED1 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for pic... I will give it a go.. Anyone know if 250xs and 300xs mid is same?

Silverton section of Toms River, NJ/Stuart, Florida
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They are

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know what size the inlet threads are on the ram hydraulic fittings? I am looking to buy bleeder tees

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    1/4" pipe thread. If you are using the Seastar hoses just buy the Seastar bleeder T's and have Fuller power bleed your setup.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the opposite setup. I have 9" Latham rams and marine machine plates on 1998 merc 225efis 3.0 liters and my 9" rams are not long enough, I will have to adjust my plate mount holes several inches forward and several inches out. I think the difference is in the mm mounting pins and the Latham mounting pins, I have Latham pins on my setup. Does anyone have the dimensions of the Latham plates and/or can anyone make them for me? I am happy to pay for the info, have not had much luck finding dimensions. I have the mm wing plate templates if anyone needs them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Trojan,
    Yes the stud can be cut off the end of your tilt pins, and a one inch square block of the correct length can be welded on the end. I think mine are four inch's from the center of the shaft to the center of the hole where the cylinders front eye bolts on ... best thing to do is mock it up and measure it for yourself. any competent, local machine / welding shop can do this for you ..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz View Post
    Trojan,
    Yes the stud can be cut off the end of your tilt pins, and a one inch square block of the correct length can be welded on the end. I think mine are four inch's from the center of the shaft to the center of the hole where the cylinders front eye bolts on ... best thing to do is mock it up and measure it for yourself. any competent, local machine / welding shop can do this for you ..
    Thank you Chaz. I am going to adjust the wing plates bc our neighbor has a c&c machine so we can just cut out new steel. The dimension I really need is on the Latham wing plate from the rear tie bar to the side wing where the ram mounts and that angle. Or if someone could trace theirs and mail it to be I would certainly be happy to pay them for their time and shipping. I need to move the existing hole forward approximately 3" to for the ram at it's full extension, but the mm plates basically keep the ram inline with the front pins whereas the Latham plates kick the ram outward several (4-6) inches it looks like. That's the measurement I need. Any help would be awesome ! Thanks guys !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imco wingplates are close to the same dimensions as the marine machine plates.

13. Thanks NAVISPEED1 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NAVISPEED1 View Post
    Jim, I know this is a very old thread but I have a question for you, I just bought a set of 250xs's for my Motion and I have Machine Marine ram's and I was wondering if Latham or IMCO wing plates would work with the MM ram's. Latham won't sell me the WP's because my system is not Latham. I still have to check with IMCO. But to be out of curiosity could you use a right hand Latham WP and use it upside down on the left side? Do you see any detail difference from left to right? I could have the left side build out of the right if that work.
    Please anyone can chime in, it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys
    The left would be identical to the right. Look for the thread where " skate" sold off his xs parts. His engraved plates could be flipped to hide the engraving.

15. Thanks NAVISPEED1 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe you can flip and bolt up.

Hey had anyone tried cutting weight by using 3/8" or 1/2" Aircraft aluminum. With all the CNC machines around I thought I try and get some aluminum or titanium plates made. I also want to get rid of two piece plate and try one cut out of single piece.

17. Thanks NAVISPEED1 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never seen a 1 piece xs plate. I allways wondered why.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpf091959 View Post
    I believe you can flip and bolt up.

Hey had anyone tried cutting weight by using 3/8" or 1/2" Aircraft aluminum. With all the CNC machines around I thought I try and get some aluminum or titanium plates made. I also want to get rid of two piece plate and try one cut out of single piece.
    I have made them out of both 3/8 's and 1/2 inch . I make a boss for both the ram and tie bar bolts to keep them from wallowing out the hole over time . They weigh about 1/2 as much as stainless .
    The one's I've done for "xs" style cans I still use 3/16 's inch 316L for the little adapter plates because the powerhead studs aren't long enough for anything thicker . And there isn't much room for the bolt hole loop either .
    The 300x style bolt to the can instead of up against the adapter plate , so 1/2" . Probably overkill , even for heavy boats , but it looks like that's what belongs there ..
    CNC ... I use the saw and sand method . I never brought it up with my water jet guy , because it would take two different programs , three , if you counted 2.5 stuff . And then each would need a sub program to add or delete a tie bar loop section .
    Unabtanium ... When I built my last dragster , I did gun drilled axles and aluminum spool . Following that theme I called Trick Titanium to order 10 wheel studs and nuts . The guy told me that it was $5000 plus shipping , I went back and sat on the porch with the puppies .. LOL I can only imagine what a 20" x 20" slab of 3/8 th's would run , let alone two of em ....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast