Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Broken superboat hull?

A friend of mine has a 99 superboat millennium center console. I have always been a fan of the boat and am building a go fast center console as I type. This millennium may end up in my hands and I wanted a little feedback before. The boat has a very thin crack from the transom to the middle of the hull that runs right under the stringer on one of the strakes. The boat does not take on noticeable water. The crack weeps a brown substance on the trailer for a couple of days after use. The owner went to superboat and Mr Coen assured him "you don't have the ability to break the boat there , that's the strongest part of the boat. Now I have been present on some serious rough water rides on this boat,one that resulted In a root canal. So I can attest we really gave it he'll, so much that he lost a 3 liter in the great South Bay because the upper mounting bolts snapped. (New motor has solid mounts). So has anyone with a superboat have a similar issue? Is this the core weeping out of the hole or just a gelcoat crack that grows algae? At the end of last season the crack was filled with 5200
    Love is a paycheck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I would want to dig a little deeper to be sure its not cracked thru. It would not be pleasant if it is soaking up water long term.
    On LSC Drinking beer and burning fuel

Wentzville.MO 40 "miles west of St Louis"
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like its the core leaking brown water out

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a good reason to negotiate a good deal..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Could you successfully repair an issue like this from the outside?
    Love is a paycheck

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by revlimiter776 View Post
    Could you successfully repair an issue like this from the outside?
    simply NO you cant repair it from the outside you will probably find inside damage as well , its like breaking a stick over you knee with 2 hands ! same principle !! The surface crack is telling HELP !!and as for the building or who ever saying its the strongest part that's just the problem it has no give !! if it had give it wouldn't break !! The frame work is to ridged for the glass bottom . The navy are making flexible bottomed boats and they are softer riding and capable of going even faster !! and the decks are suspended and don't touch the hull at all . they have no hard strong stringers od frames !! everything moves and bends and absorbs shock loads .
    I am in the process of writing a book about this very subject !! Soft ride ,bendy boats !!
    Last edited by tunnels; 03-06-2014 at 01:34 AM.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tunnels I believe what you are saying applies to larger vessels, I don't want a bendy sub 30'performance fiberglass boat, please don't convince anyone to build any. Since your using stick as analogy what about when you bend a paper clip too many times doesn't it fail? And aircrafts also flex and then suffer fatigue and are no longer flown. Also if shock mitigating i agree statement marine I think is using it.....

Have lived and worked in New Zealand ,Tahiti,Australia,Japan , south Korea, And now Suzhou in China
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quicklt1 View Post
    Tunnels I believe what you are saying applies to larger vessels, I don't want a bendy sub 30'performance fiberglass boat, please don't convince anyone to build any. Since your using stick as analogy what about when you bend a paper clip too many times doesn't it fail? And aircrafts also flex and then suffer fatigue and are no longer flown. Also if shock mitigating i agree statement marine I think is using it.....
    More than 35 years ago I built 2 boats for use on the west coast beach's of nz where there is no such thing as a calm day and these boats were used in the surf road huge waves were drowned many times and dumped on the wet sand completely filled with water and so could have burst like dropping a balloon filled with water . they survived 4 seasons of this punishment and came back to the company I worked and we went over then with a fine toothed comb and never found any stress cracks any where so they were then sold as surf fishing boats in the other end of the country again the same kind of scenario and use . Last I heard 15 years later they were still being used and by this time had had a few new tubes fitted and who knows how many motors . I hear you loud and clear about the aircraft thing . The boats I made were just built from Polyester resin and 4 layers of 400 gram unidirectional glass with a 225 of csm between the layers and over the top . The secret was in the orientation of the layers of glass and how its used ! . I am a great believer that boat bottoms should be able to flex and move and hull should be allowed also to be able to twist . after being in the glassing industry since 1972 I have travelled extensively and worked in a few countries I have picked up and learned many thing but the use of simple everyday glass and ordinary resins that can be bought off the shelf are completely miss understood .I have seen and had to repair boats that professional composite people had spec-ed as being the best but under harsh conditions had simply broken up and fallen apart . I have built life saving equipment from composites materials and done destructive testing to the point of total destroyed of my own and have a pretty good idea what stays together and the reasons why ! methods learned from clever race boat people and bright industrial composite designers I have used to great advantage over the years . Now I am called upon as a quality assurance and composite design consultant sorting failures and making things better and to last longer , Its how we use the materials we have and not so much of what we use that counts and this is the trick to it all !!.
    Messing round with boats is fun !! the learning never stops ,even after more than 30 years there's always something new happening somewhere ! BUT somethings never change and some problems never go away and just keep reoccurring !!so moved into Composite Forensics , Now that something completely new !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Post pictures of the damage and boat!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tux974 View Post
    Post pictures of the damage and boat!
    Close up and really detailed of possible !! if there's cracks they will be where the glass has bent at the corner of the girder or stringer or what ever is inside!! would be good to see inside the boat wide shots and close ups on what ever side the outside cracks have appeared on !! what kind of speed in what kind of conditions ???Just takes one sharp shock from one wave and its history !! there is no such thing as unbreakable !! as speed increases so does the shock loads by huge amounts with each 5 miles and hour added above 60 mph !!a lot of these problems can be attributed to the design that is not suitable for higher speeds !! everything has a limit .
    Last edited by tunnels; 03-06-2014 at 08:21 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will try to get some pics up ASAP thanx
    Love is a paycheck

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Surely rotten and will be a big problem if its not ground out and fixed correctly..
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like I pointed out cracks are telling a story and showing you there's a underlying problem !! so if its showing on the outside there possibly signs on the inside as well and depending on how the boat was constructed it could be really serious and if its only on one side of the hull sounds a little strange and the other side could need some really close looking at as well !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe hit something? Bad trailer??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't believe he hit anything,we have launched the boat in 6 foot seas and even had the console break loose on a landing , as well as lose the motor I mentioned. Trailer is a roller type much of the weight on the keel rollers.
    Love is a paycheck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast