Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    ...generally speaking, most people are not mature enough to raise children, until they are in they're forties. of course, this isn't how it ever happens...well, for most anyways... (this will stir the pot)
    Can‘t see why—- in my day most of my friends were married by the time they were 21– exceptions were EGGHEADS who couldn‘t pull a bird anyway and nerds !!!!!!
    i was still 21 when my firstborn arrived ! Had four more with the same lady— enjoyed 38 years of bliss and tragedy— its called life .
    Yesterday we all attended that ladies funeral—-my grandson George, he lives and works in SAN FRANCISCO. Took time out—- went through all the restrictions of COVID in both countries to attend .
    Whole thing was live videod so the rest of those relations and friends who could not be there in person could actually watch the whole event. This was organised by another grandson SIMON — he is one of those modern day computer „“GEEKS“, piece of cake to him.
    i grew up WITH MY KIDS —- far cry from todays parenting—- i actually took them out of school during term time —just to attend a race meeting in PARIS—-MILAN——BARCELONA —-SYDNEY—-ASTERDAM-
    Was never once stopped by any teacher —any time —.
    To this day, i still believe it did them all a lot more good than harm. They learned from a trip more than they would have done at school.
    Of course, that is not allowed today—- i would be fined hundreds of pounds by the education authorities and called an „“UNCARING“ parent by some well trained but misguided and inexperienced ex university student holding down a well paid job . Actually-totally unqualified for the position.
    By the time i was 40— i had five kids Think they were all teenagers by then —— was well matured in the art of child rearing long before i was forty.

2. Likes STEVERINO, FUJIMO, OLEGATOR, GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    i grew up WITH MY KIDS —- far cry from todays parenting—- i actually took them out of school during term time —just to attend a race meeting in PARIS—-MILAN——BARCELONA —-SYDNEY—-ASTERDAM-
    Was never once stopped by any teacher —any time —.
    To this day, i still believe it did them all a lot more good than harm. They learned from a trip more than they would have done at school.
    Of course, that is not allowed today—- i would be fined hundreds of pounds by the education authorities and called an „“UNCARING“ parent by some well trained but misguided and inexperienced ex university student holding down a well paid job . Actually-totally unqualified for the position.
    By the time i was 40— i had five kids Think they were all teenagers by then —— was well matured in the art of child rearing long before i was forty.
    I know, that I personally benefited culturally from on-site experiences in foreign countries. Whereas compared to reading about it in a school textbook. Jackie like what you presented your kids, my Dad also provided for me (still a teenager) the opportunity to visit your country England. Plus, other race sites in Italy, France, Germany, Holland and Sweden too.

When he and the family came back to the states, he asked me was it worth it. And I told him, that I valued (and still do today) the cultural awakening, and the Europeans and Americans which I met in the process.

4. Likes RogerH, powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    I know, that I personally benefited culturally from on-site experiences in foreign countries. Whereas compared to reading about it in a school textbook. Jackie like what you presented your kids, my Dad also provided for me (still a teenager) the opportunity to visit your country England. Plus, other race sites in Italy, France, Germany, Holland and Sweden too.

When he and the family came back to the states, he asked me was it worth it. And I told him, that I valued (and still do today) the cultural awakening, and the Europeans and Americans which I met in the process.
    tried to answer your message Roy appears i have been banned forever ?????????????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was fortunate to live / work in France for a couple of years ('82 - '84). I definitely agree with Roy's statements about "cultural awakening". As a family, this was the best thing we experienced / learned about different cultures and gained a better understanding of our own cultural upbringing. Most Americans have NO CLUE about culture and how it effects everything about them and others. We laughed every time the American tourist complained about there being no wash cloths in the "expensive" 5-star hotel they were staying in. You learn first hand why tourists are our worst ambassadors. They view everything they see and experience from their American cultural upbringing with very little, if any, open mindness to other culturals way of life. rant over

7. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    I was fortunate to live / work in France for a couple of years ('82 - '84). I definitely agree with Roy's statements about "cultural awakening". As a family, this was the best thing we experienced / learned about different cultures and gained a better understanding of our own cultural upbringing. Most Americans have NO CLUE about culture and how it effects everything about them and others. We laughed every time the American tourist complained about there being no wash cloths in the "expensive" 5-star hotel they were staying in. You learn first hand why tourists are our worst ambassadors. They view everything they see and experience from their American cultural upbringing with very little, if any, open mindness to other culturals way of life. rant over
    each and every country has its customs.language and history. This tends to be unique, and peculiar to that country.
    Then you get divisions in that country even the mighty USA lays witness to that.
    Ireland has the north and south —- Spain has the Basque region in its own domain .
    South Africa—- India and Pakistan.
    We can put ourselves about a bit——- learn about other culture—- just when you think you’re all smart and learned , some wiseacre comes out with „“i hope you don’t include me in that statement .
    even in Italy — if you lived the other side of the lake -you were different .
    We can teach our kids what we think is right —— that doesn’t mean to say its written in stone
    Accents and dialects suffer the same discourse
    Even brothers and sisters in the same house don’t always see eye to eye .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLEGATOR View Post
    had a va eye doctor , his name was molinari. you can imagine what happened at my first appointment. yep, spent more time talking about italy than my eyes. he said there were more than one group of molinari's. as i remember, different parts of italy, different economic levels and he was unaware of the boat builders.
    ...lol...the "smith's" of italy......

10. Likes OLEGATOR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    each and every country has its customs.language and history. This tends to be unique, and peculiar to that country.
    Then you get divisions in that country even the mighty USA lays witness to that.
    Ireland has the north and south —- Spain has the Basque region in its own domain .
    even in Italy — if you lived the other side of the lake -you were different .
    We can teach our kids what we think is right —— that doesn’t mean to say its written in stone
    Accents and dialects suffer the same discourse
    Even brothers and sisters in the same house don’t always see eye to eye .
    Jackie, and to others, which accents on the British Isles give you the hardest to understand?

There are some parts in the southern states of the USA, which are heavily accented. I have encountered those southern rural areas, and you sometimes you have to clearly pay attention to decipher all the words spoken.

Here is American John Wayne encountering Irish accents, which might not be common to his ears.
    In this movie, I have to give my undivided attention (to understand his every word) the chap who starts revealing his fish stories.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love listening to American accents— Joe Gambone and his family in Valleyfield were very hard to understand at first. First time i met GENE TIPADEAUX i couldn’t understand a word he said . Larry Laudabach was another . Bronx and Harlem accents are difficult too .
    My side of the pond is another place full of dialect that to any stranger would be difficult to understand… welsh have their own language which nobody but a native can ever understand .
    Scots accent gets harder and more difficult the further north you go.
    Yorkshire dialect is also very hard to understand—— my grandmother used to translate the old language for me ——-couple of examples , WHISTA BARN ????? [where are you going ?]
    MARROW TO BONNY ! [just like— or similar to.
    When i go back to Bradford i drop into Yorkshire mode without even thinking.
    A true cockney using rhyming slang [ apples and pears for stairs —- daisy roots for boots etc] would leave most people for dead .
    Cornish accent is similar to french and again difficult to comprehend .
    i am pretty sure the same thing occurs in every other country.
    Back to Ireland —- lovely country—-lovely people —divided by religion——with regional dialects in every corner . Should be the most peaceful place on earth —— but 400 years of conflict with England and still no solution doesn’t help anyone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love listening to American accents— Joe Gambone and his family in Valleyfield were very hard to understand at first. First time i met GENE TIPADEAUX i couldn’t understand a word he said . Larry Laudabach was another . Bronx and Harlem accents are difficult too .
    My side of the pond is another place full of dialect that to any stranger would be difficult to understand… welsh have their own language which nobody but a native can ever understand .
    Scots accent gets harder and more difficult the further north you go.
    Yorkshire dialect is also very hard to understand—— my grandmother used to translate the old language for me ——-couple of examples , WHISTA BARN ????? [where are you going ?]
    MARROW TO BONNY ! [just like— or similar to.
    When i go back to Bradford i drop into Yorkshire mode without even thinking.
    A true cockney using rhyming slang [ apples and pears for stairs —- daisy roots for boots etc] would leave most people for dead .
    Cornish accent is similar to french and again difficult to comprehend .
    i am pretty sure the same thing occurs in every other country.
    Back to Ireland —- lovely country—-lovely people —divided by religion——with regional dialects in every corner . Should be the most peaceful place on earth —— but 400 years of conflict with England and still no solution doesn’t help anyone.
    ----and if you are lucky--you will live long enough that you can purchase hearing aids that are guaranteed to improve your 'WORD RECOGNITION'---

Nope

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    ----and if you are lucky--you will live long enough that you can purchase hearing aids that are guaranteed to improve your 'WORD RECOGNITION'---

Nope
    Been stone deaf in the left ear since i had a mastoid removed at the age of 14. managed perfectly well with the right one for the next 65 years . Then i got one of the dreaded hearing aids !!!!
    Apparently its no good even thinking about a deaf aid for the left ear—- nothing left to pick up a sound wave . So i just have the one in the right ear . Supplied by the NHS for free , device works admirably most of the time . Lost the first one taking a leak on a flight from Miami to Gatwick—-aboard a DREAMLINER . Pushed the flush — just as the earpiece fell into the can —WHOOOOOOSH— straight out into the galaxy,
    Second one lasted a little while longer —- watching TV , i do tend to take out the deaf -aid and leave it on the table at the side of my easy -lounger while using wi-fi head phones . Ate a satsuma that night, left the device under the peel. Scooped the lot up and threw it into the wood burner ——- resulting explosion damned near blew the feckin doors offen the stove —— frightened the crap out of both MURPHY AND INDY.
    Had this last one some three years —- wonderful device —— impossible to use anywhere there are lots of people . I always take it out in a restaurant and lip read . One to one in a closed room its a great piece of kit —- anywhere else it sucks !!!!!!!!

15. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a great cultural awakening in Chicago once:
    Boat Manufacturer from OZ moved to the USA ( Flightcraft - swallowed by Malibu shortly after)
    Was at IMTEC, owner had a couple of aussie staff and about 6 -7 dealers/distributors from Canada to Florida.
    Was all blokes at dinners so telling jokes etc.
    One of the Canadians told a joke, the Texan sitting beside me elbows me and says "whaat did he saaayy" he couldn't understand him, wasnt even a French Canadian.
    It was at moment I thought Americans need to get out more often, even a long road trip...
    Last edited by powerabout; 08-16-2021 at 10:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was up at crack-o-sparrow and out of the traps like a bat out of hell—— spun up the body for the BUTLER KNICKERWETTER SPECIAL—- changed the disc on 6 inch grinder —- cooking with gas !!!!
    Felt a sharp sting on my right wrist —— blood pumped out onto the stainless steel workbench. Wondered what the hell i could have done . Looked at 2 inch slit that looked like a wide open silly grin knew instantly i was in trouble !!!!!!!!!
    Her majesty wrapped a tea towel round my wrist—- then a hand towel —— held my arm up into the air —red juice still dripped off the elbow . Time for a swift visit to BOGNOR REGIS HOSPITAL.
    INDY was licking up all the big drops with great gusto.
    Was bundled into the trusty—LEXUS and smartly driven to said hospital —— they didn’t like red blood dripping all over the floor——- bad for business dontcha know — so was whisked into a treatment bay a bit smartish like.
    Torniquayed the arm and put in five stitches [ sutures] and closed the grin.
    Arm is now in a sling and i am thumping buttons with just the left hand index finger — there will probably be more info later !!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was up at crack-o-sparrow and out of the traps like a bat out of hell—— spun up the body for the BUTLER KNICKERWETTER SPECIAL—- changed the disc on 6 inch grinder —- cooking with gas !!!!
    Felt a sharp sting on my right wrist —— blood pumped out onto the stainless steel workbench. Wondered what the hell i could have done . Looked at 2 inch slit that looked like a wide open silly grin knew instantly i was in trouble !!!!!!!!!
    Her majesty wrapped a tea towel round my wrist—- then a hand towel —— held my arm up into the air —red juice still dripped off the elbow . Time for a swift visit to BOGNOR REGIS HOSPITAL.
    INDY was licking up all the big drops with great gusto.
    Was bundled into the trusty—LEXUS and smartly driven to said hospital —— they didn’t like red blood dripping all over the floor——- bad for business dontcha know — so was whisked into a treatment bay a bit smartish like.
    Torniquayed the arm and put in five stitches [ sutures] and closed the grin.
    Arm is now in a sling and i am thumping buttons with just the left hand index finger — there will probably be more info later !!!!!!!

photos?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, and get well soon...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	27A34C08-9BE4-4371-AA2E-70562522B5F4.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	403.5 KB 
ID:	491975

Did like the afterthought —— what sort of a morbid old bugger wants pictures of a mans misfortunes anyway ——- here tis. Only one you will get. Yes it does bloody hurt—- and i am out of Action for a short while.

Page 971 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 471 871 921 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 1021 1071 ... LastLast