Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Not quite right Johnno—— Billy was running a bored two litre V6, to comply with the new RULE OMC introduced to the OZ class. Capacity suddenly had a MINIMUM CAPACITY!!!!!!!!
    PREVIOUS TO THIS TIME OZ WAS UNLIMITED AND WITHOUT A MINIMUM CAPACITY.
    Was always told that the minimum V8 horsepower was way over 400—- even with a 3 Litre V8 ??????? Or was that just publicity?????? .
    Pity the factories could never agree on anything. OMC threw the dollies and said you can’t play in my game——— .
    Fonda series had proved itself to be the best series ever , costing Mercury very little .
    OZ series went through five million in three years—— great for the teams —- bubble had to burst and did in a big way. Plenty commissioners in the UIM had to look elsewhere for a supplement to their earnings . Rolfe Fraulin in particular.
    I should post this on my "Fact thread" but not ready to start that one up again.
    This is the entry list for Bristol-Embassy GP 1977. (I was there racing a brand new Molinari with Volvo/Konig power in the OE class)
    Long before the OMC V8 and also before the Merc T-4.
    You can clearly read ON 1500cc -2000cc...OZ - 2000cc upwards.
    Every class has a minimum cc including OZ.
    Boat Mercury and OMC raced the OZ class.
    Now to 1982 when Mr. Bill did a fantastic job and won the OZ class.
    (I was there racing F3/OE.)
    This was the second year for OMC V8 drivers and Bristol was always early in the season. This was back when the V8 used a 12 inch mid section and carb powerhead..Very top-heavy and the boats was not yet designed right for the V8. Molinari was probably the only one in his titanium boat.
    We can all speculate but the 6 inch mid section and the more powerful fuel injection powerhead would have been way more fit for Bristol..(last picture) but was not available 1982.
    Funny is..the new Merc F1-V8 4 stroke is using a 12 inch mid section...good luck with that..!!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bristol 771.jpg   Bristol 772.jpg   johnson 6 V8.jpg  

2. Thanks powerabout thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is it Wilson/Cosworth is ON one time and OZ another? When it should have been KT in both. And Jackie has the balls to complain about UIM???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    Why is it Wilson/Cosworth is ON one time and OZ another? When it should have been KT in both. And Jackie has the balls to complain about UIM???
    johnno, i didn’t make the rules , or write them, i simply kept within the rules . The ON rules that you must not exceed 2,000 cc!! When i raced ON that’s exactly what i did .
    quote for an outboard ——— it must be removable from the boat— complete with its drive ???????
    I adhered strictly to the rule book
    Same with the OZ- strictly according to the rule book. The DFV was a three litre motor, so it had to run in the OZ class——-All the Cosworth engined boats i ran were scrutineered by a registered UIM scrutiniser . Without that certificate —- there was no way you could put the boat in the water !!!!!!
    Not absolutely certain, but i think only the APBA ran KT class—-only in the USA i never heard of a UIM class for The KT’s’, Could have been added after my time. If i read it wrong, i apologise .

Yes, i do have the balls to complain about the UIM—— it has never done anything for me that didn’t cost. THe stupidity of SOME of its commissioners beggars belief . [ there were a few HONEST ones —- but they were rare as rocking horse sh-t.
    Last edited by jackiewilson; 05-03-2021 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BRISTOL WAS A GOOD EXAMPLE OF THE V8 JONRUDES AGAINST THE V6 MERCURY.
    Seebold Versus Percival——— the Merc was a tad quicker than the Rude —- Billy could have squeezed Tom on to the bouy a couple of times, too much of a “fair” [ gentleman] driver —-only a spit second between them at the finish. Just saying——- in spite of claims to the contrary, it was never a fair playing field—- OMC had far too much money tied up in the OZ spectacle to risk Mercury pissing on their parades.
    Still didn’t stop them from going belly up !!!!!!!! Just saying.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1980's series summary of F1 boat racing..jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	298.6 KB 
ID:	486439

6. Thanks Watermark thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post

Name:	1980's series summary of F1 boat racing..jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	298.6 KB 
ID:	486439
    Another significant 1980's chapter in Tunnel Boat Racing's History was written in 1985 with the development of the First Safety Capsule.

Team Managers Chris Hodges and Cees van der Velden led these changes with the backing of OMC, together with title sponsors and organizers of the F1 Powerboat Championship. Jack Leek can be seen in the background with two representatives of PRO ONE, the Belgian promotional syndicate for The Champion Spark Plug F1 World Championship Series in 1985.

8. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lassie — nice of you to call !!!!

Before Bristol there was no such thing as the FORMULAS ——-was purely the brain child of CHARLIE SHEPPARD .
    He invented it [or them if you like}.
    Spectators found it hard to understand the different classes , so Charlie made it simple for them —— no longer the complex lettering of the various capacities —- or shapes — ie V bottoms or tunnels . So he came up with the simple idea of Formula ONE —tWO—-three and four.
    limit for Formula one was set at two litres .
    Was hugely successful—— so much so, the UIM decided to adopt the formula idea and write it in the rule book !!!!!!!!!!
    That’s when the jiggery— Pokery started . For two years there was an upper limit on race boats of two litres —— sport was controlled until then.
    Then they wanted a 2,5 limit ——- then a 3 litre —- then a four litre , then twin engines . The whole thing was out of control. You could race with unlimited number of motors ——- unlimited capacity.
    They simply ran under the old HYDROPLANE OZ CLASS . YOU RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG ????
    THATS WHEN THE ON WAS LIMITED TO 2 LITRES ——- OZ WAS ANYTHING OVER TWO LITRES .INCLUDING TWO LITRES ?????????? As can be seen in your postings Lasse !!!!
    Right up to the time OMC changed the OZ class to OVER two litres —— 15 minutes between heats —- very slim chance indeed of getting the boat out and swopping Powerheads — and getting the rig to the start line in time . BUT THE TEAM DID JUST THAT,,,,that Billy „“BIG SIXED THE V8‘S WITH A BORED OUT TWO LITRE!!!!!!

10. Likes Old boy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Lassie — nice of you to call !!!!

Before Bristol there was no such thing as the FORMULAS ——-was purely the brain child of CHARLIE SHEPPARD .
    He invented it [or them if you like}.
    Spectators found it hard to understand the different classes , so Charlie made it simple for them —— no longer the complex lettering of the various capacities —- or shapes — ie V bottoms or tunnels . So he came up with the simple idea of Formula ONE —tWO—-three and four.
    limit for Formula one was set at two litres .
    Was hugely successful—— so much so, the UIM decided to adopt the formula idea and write it in the rule book !!!!!!!!!!
    That’s when the jiggery— Pokery started . For two years there was an upper limit on race boats of two litres —— sport was controlled until then.
    Then they wanted a 2,5 limit ——- then a 3 litre —- then a four litre , then twin engines . The whole thing was out of control. You could race with unlimited number of motors ——- unlimited capacity.
    They simply ran under the old HYDROPLANE OZ CLASS . YOU RUN WHAT YOU BRUNG ????
    THATS WHEN THE ON WAS LIMITED TO 2 LITRES ——- OZ WAS ANYTHING OVER TWO LITRES .INCLUDING TWO LITRES ?????????? As can be seen in your postings Lasse !!!!
    Right up to the time OMC changed the OZ class to OVER two litres —— 15 minutes between heats —- very slim chance indeed of getting the boat out and swopping Powerheads — and getting the rig to the start line in time . BUT THE TEAM DID JUST THAT,,,,that Billy „“BIG SIXED THE V8‘S WITH A BORED OUT TWO LITRE!!!!!!
    Here, here I say!
    In the early 80's I attended the Australian National Outboard titles at Wagga Wagga in country New South Wales. My friends Troy & Halliday were running their Merc powered Tunnel in both classes as well.
    Somehow, I became recruited to assist in the removal and replacement of the powerheads between races. I was the person who plucked the V6 off the Mid (by hand, well a bear hug actually!) and then assisted with mounting and bolting of the slightly bigger V6.
    Yes, we the made the switch in time and of cause.. their boat Challenger VI won both classes! That's a fact!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa there a little
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermark View Post
    Another significant 1980's chapter in Tunnel Boat Racing's History was written in 1985 with the development of the First Safety Capsule.

Attachment 486451
    Team Managers Chris Hodges and Cees van der Velden led these changes with the backing of OMC, together with title sponsors and organizers of the F1 Powerboat Championship. Jack Leek can be seen in the background with two representatives of PRO ONE, the Belgian promotional syndicate for The Champion Spark Plug F1 World Championship Series in 1985.

Attachment 486450
    whoa, slow down a little there Mark——-lets get things in APPLE PIE order here first.
    Hodges had worked with MACLAREN to perfect a safety cell in an Fi car. He decided to build a safety cell for race boats. [after Percy was killed ]. Was Parkinson who got him his first £500 to finance the scheme. Verden went with a Dutch university to create a pod.
    Front runners in the safety cell race in England were BILL BROWN with his all aluminium device . And Hodges with his carbon and fibreglass construction.
    Bill managed to borrow a million pound mannequin from the British motor research to drop test the cell. Well, he succeeded in killing the Mannequin, after dropping it into the water from 50feet .
    Hodges strapped himself into his capsule ——- crane took him up to 75 feet . Hodges wanted higher still . Crane lifted him to 100 feet —- then dropped him !!!!!
    Hodges was unhurt . Way forward was with the Hodges cell. Rest is history. I NEVER ONCE HEARD OF OMC INVESTING IN THE HODGES SAFETY CELL.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LASSE take another look at page 36 about the F1 OZ CLASS—- the bit you outlined in red—- see where it reads, 2000 CC UPWARDS ?????????
    now take a look at the field of runners ——— eight three litre RUDES [ ONLY SIX TURNED UP ]—- A COUPLE OF COSWORTHS—— THE REST WERE ALL 2LITRE MERCURYS——- RUNNING OZ ????????

scroll down to the next page—- there it says OZ class is OVER 2000 CC. THATS THE DAMN POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE—-
    Reason for all this is the simple fact that six RUDES at Bristol would not make much of a show !!!!!!!
    Unfortunately the 2 litre Merc was beating the three litre RUDES ——— THATS why the rules were changed !!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

APX and 6 inch Mid

Quote Originally Posted by lars strom View Post
    I should post this on my "Fact thread" but not ready to start that one up again.
    This is the entry list for Bristol-Embassy GP 1977. (I was there racing a brand new Molinari with Volvo/Konig power in the OE class)
    Long before the OMC V8 and also before the Merc T-4.
    You can clearly read ON 1500cc -2000cc...OZ - 2000cc upwards.
    Every class has a minimum cc including OZ.
    Boat Mercury and OMC raced the OZ class.
    Now to 1982 when Mr. Bill did a fantastic job and won the OZ class.
    (I was there racing F3/OE.)
    This was the second year for OMC V8 drivers and Bristol was always early in the season. This was back when the V8 used a 12 inch mid section and carb powerhead..Very top-heavy and the boats was not yet designed right for the V8. Molinari was probably the only one in his titanium boat.
    We can all speculate but the 6 inch mid section and the more powerful fuel injection powerhead would have been way more fit for Bristol..(last picture) but was not available 1982.
    Funny is..the new Merc F1-V8 4 stroke is using a 12 inch mid section...good luck with that..!!

Good point about 6 inch mid?!! A 6 inch mid would have caused a redesign of the APX swivel and trim casting and the overdrive box (height) wouldn't fit either. Wonder why they didn't do that since the top of the #6 gearcase is completely different anyway? If I remember correctly, the first V8 six inch mid center swivel castings kept cracking and breaking?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa there a little whoa, slow down a little there Mark——-lets get things in APPLE PIE order here first.
    Hodges had worked with MACLAREN to perfect a safety cell in an Fi car. He decided to build a safety cell for race boats. [after Percy was killed ]. Was Parkinson who got him his first £500 to finance the scheme. Verden went with a Dutch university to create a pod.
    Front runners in the safety cell race in England were BILL BROWN with his all aluminium device . And Hodges with his carbon and fibreglass construction.
    Bill managed to borrow a million pound mannequin from the British motor research to drop test the cell. Well, he succeeded in killing the Mannequin, after dropping it into the water from 50feet .
    Hodges strapped himself into his capsule ——- crane took him up to 75 feet . Hodges wanted higher still . Crane lifted him to 100 feet —- then dropped him !!!!!
    Hodges was unhurt . Way forward was with the Hodges cell. Rest is history. I NEVER ONCE HEARD OF OMC INVESTING IN THE HODGES SAFETY CELL.
    Jackie, facts and details are important and make a statement into a story. Thanks for those.

As we know, "It takes a village to raise a child" - and, as you point out, numerous organizations and people were involved and must be credited for the cell's ultimate development. Chris Hodges led the pack and, together with Cees appeared at Munich in May 1985, the first race of the season, towing brand new team boats with safety cells. David Burgess was still working on his, and by September in Milan, I was strapped in. From my count, I believe there were only 10 or 11 F1 drivers racing with cells that year.

As for investors, OMC, via PRO ONE, provided significant funding to several teams to ensure F1's success in '85. Safety was paramount given the tragic year we had in '84. Team Percival Hodges Racing, as others, were benefactors, so directly or indirectly, OMC was at the very least an enabler in this process.

All-in-all, 1985 was a significant year for boat racing. Sadly, several F1 drivers died and others were badly injured before the bull was taken by horns. I wonder how many lives have since been saved over the past 36 years thanks to this single development? One thing is certain; Be it circuit or offshore, inboard, outboard, jet, whatever... today's drivers and their families are the better for it.

16. Thanks lars strom thanked for this post
    Likes lars strom, Jimboat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Team Percival Hodges Safety Cell

Name:	Proposed Safety Capsule F1 Powerboats 1985_0001 2.JPG 
Views:	284 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	486469

18. Thanks lars strom thanked for this post
    Likes lars strom liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1985 - Safety Cockpits had arrived....

Name:	Munchen-85.jpg 
Views:	256 
Size:	254.2 KB 
ID:	486470

Name:	Munchen-852.jpg 
Views:	255 
Size:	227.7 KB 
ID:	486471

20. Thanks lars strom thanked for this post
    Likes lars strom liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read back in the day that Hodges was dropped from a crane but....100 feet?? That is a long way up!! A pancake landing and that would have hurt!
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mark—- its got to be on record somewhere—- i know he went higher than any of the others. Had the cajones to sit it it himself —- then get dropped .
    Osprey were ready to pull him out at all times.

Page 939 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 439 839 889 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 961 962 963 989 1039 ... LastLast