Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I assume you meant 12cm thick. That would be about an inch thicker than a standard slab over here. When you install your machines you get the benefit of the thicker slab. I have a few friends who have installed car lifts in their garages. A 4 inch slab just doesn't work. My own garage floor cracked diagonally shortly after we moved in. Just not thick enough.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    I assume you meant 12cm thick. That would be about an inch thicker than a standard slab over here. When you install your machines you get the benefit of the thicker slab. I have a few friends who have installed car lifts in their garages. A 4 inch slab just doesn't work. My own garage floor cracked diagonally shortly after we moved in. Just not thick enough.
    There was already a substantial base in place. To level it correctly there were depths of 8” of concrete poured . Reinforcing rod was also used —— this is one of the reasons they ran out of materials. I inspected it today. Floor covering arrived later in the day. Easter weekend, so not much activity. Going to be hard pushed to get all done and dusted before all the machines come in on the 12 April.
    Another couple of days and my workshop is cleared and locked down tight ready for moving.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like they did it right to me. Before my career in the Fire Service I worked in construction so I have some knowledge in that area. Probably why I have never been satisfied with my own house was built. Have spent the last 30 years trying to correct some of the deficiencies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...for a guy like you jackie, placement of each machine is next of importance, for the electrician to place outlets & lights, etc., exactly where you need them. not to mention a few extra here & there, just for the hell of it. draw those placements out on a pad of paper for the guy. you know the routine, hell, like you have'nt done THIS before, right?...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    ...for a guy like you jackie, placement of each machine is next of importance, for the electrician to place outlets & lights, etc., exactly where you need them. not to mention a few extra here & there, just for the hell of it. draw those placements out on a pad of paper for the guy. you know the routine, hell, like you have'nt done THIS before, right?...
    Electric Outlets placed !! I think he's more of a multi socket extension man.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my old workshop had four, LED, four foot lights in the ceiling. Plus one above the work bench.
    Was reasonable , adequate, but that was it. I am sold on LED strip lights . New shop can have up to six installed . Lathe has to have its own light. Pillar drill should have had, but didn’t. I have more than enough lights to suffice . I bought a pack of ten ,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...led lights are great. they use next to no power, so you can install three times as many and still not use near the amount of juice you used to...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LEDs Changed Everything

...led lights are great. they use next to no power, so you can install three times as many and still not use near the amount of juice you used to...
    LEDs have changed the game in lighting. Yes, they are cheaper to burn but the foremost advantage in shop lighting is the "instant on" in cold temperatures. Another advantage is in dealing with fluorescents was the broken tubes, mercury, flickering and humming. I have a box full of T12 ballasts I can't even give away? Global production of T12 bulbs stopped 10 years ago. I re-rigged my shop for T8s thinking that they would be the long term solution. I was wrong. LED development was an explosion. I just replaced my corded work light with a cordless one that charges via 12V USB cord. No more broken bulbs or rough duty bulbs. CFLs are becoming scarce in the hardware stores too. I don't think there are any vehicles produced today that still use 12VDC incandescents?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and for air-conditioned space, like we all have here in florida, the a-c is no longer fighting the heat that the old fixtures used to put out...

10. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tom Stickle .....

Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post

Just received word that Tom Stickle, aka Mr. T (far left in the photo above) isn't doing very well. Tom's daughter Tina posted that Tom has been in the hospital for the last 12 days. He has several problems including a cracked rib, a blood clot in his lungs and infection. She said he was transferred to a nursing/rehab hospital today.
    Want to wish one of boat racing's all time nice guys the very best towards a speedy and full recovery.
    Spoke with Tom today. He is still in the hospital (rehab), as they continue to work on his leg infection. Said he is not making much progress. He'd like to go home but knows they won't let him out until it's under control.. I think a phone call from a few of you would go a long way towards lifting his spirits. He runs short of breath when he talks on the phone, so he won't be able to talk long (he'll let you know). I don't think I should post his number here, but if you would like to call him, send me a PM and I'll send you his cell number.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tom Stickle.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	400.6 KB 
ID:	484833

12. Thanks OLEGATOR, GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Likes Lake X Kid, OLEGATOR, GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Negotiating a major sponsorship for a race boat, must have taken some skill and/or determination.
    “How many spectators at a boat race,” asks potential corporate sponsor. (Please Don't ask about television and major media outlet coverage).

When it comes to tunnel circuit racing, I think the Europeans were ahead of the Yanks. The Americans in the early 1970’s seemed to be satisfied with a local sponsor (if they had that). Cees, Bob and Tom were flying corporate colors, when other competitors were deciding what their favorite color was to put on their race boats. (Correct me, if my recollections or observations are wrong).

Maybe the Merc and OMC rivalry benefitted many drivers, and made them complacent in pursuing sponsorship money. Therefore, more kudos to the early pioneers who brought big name sponsors to tunnel boat racing.

Bill Seebold was a hometown guy from the Busch neighborhood, that geographically benefited Bill and his family. (And Bernie Little had Bud distributorships that helped cement his connection to the Busch family). If Bill writes his book, I hope he has a chapter, about acquiring major sponsorship in cold-calling exec’s offices. And having seat down meetings with them, and presenting his racing portfolio.

But the negotiating I would like to have been a witness to would be. Not Tom’s and Bob’s, but Cees. Tom and Bob seemed to me be more polished, than Cees, who was more apt to tell you want he thought. To be present when Cees van der Veldon pitched for major sponsorship, would to me be an interesting session.

And opposite of Cees outgoing demeanor, would be Renato Molinari more reserved social attitude. Someone like me wonders how did Renato approach Martini & Rossi. Was he alone, or did he have a representative talk to the appropriate corporate connections. And then there is Jackie's approach to said sponsorship.

Name:	Boats, Bud, Marlboro, JPS & Martini.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	415.6 KB 
ID:	484832

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was fortunate to talk to Tom at the OFF meeting in Tavares 2019. Tom the best to your health.
    When I did a little shop talk with Tom then, he was in high praise of Bill Seebold's racing skill.
    Two great guys Tom and Bill.

Spoke with Tom today. He is still in the hospital (rehab), as they continue to work on his leg infection. Said he is not making much progress. He'd like to go home but knows they won't let him out until it's under control.. I think a phone call from a few of you would go a long way towards lifting his spirits. He runs short of breath when he talks on the phone, so he won't be able to talk long (he'll let you know). I don't think I should post his number here, but if you would like to call him, send me a PM and I'll send you his cell number.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ROY, this is going to take a lot longer than i have time for right now.
    PARKINSON WAS THE RINGMASTER OF SPONSORSHIP.
    CANON—-JOHN PLAYERS——Parky brought them all to the table . —- GG AND MERCURY decided who the drivers would be. RENATO did have a number of influential backers who brought in Martini- but we are opening a new book here—- not just a chapter —- i am tired and i am going to bed .

16. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

confess to being a tad slow off the mark here Bill—- had a number of issues in my own family. Called Tom just once , but no reply. Like the road to hell, i was paved with good intentions and never made it ‘ i will call tomorrow—- Billy gave me the number . Apologies .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...tom got a staph infection in his leg, or? they gave me one during a simple miniscus knee operation. called mersa. methisilin resistant staph. bad bad bad.

Page 931 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 431 831 881 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 981 1031 ... LastLast