Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    ...if you tell someone not to do something, they are going to do it. basic human psychology. sooo..."where" do you find the number of metal & wood working tools & machinery thats "for sale", in your area? online?...in a local rag of some sort?...someone else telling you whats available?(word of mouth)...a large local daily or weekly flea market?...or what? you have said you have sold or traded items very simply as well. give us the rundown mr. wilson...haha.
    Never ever thought about it FUJI — its what i do. Gradual progression of one thing leading to another. I am forever talking to people, always amazes me where the journey takes you after saying ‘HELLO, AND WHAT DO YOU DO”??? —-
    I LOVE CAR BOOT SALES !! The variety of people selling all their unwanted items— often from a garden shed , where tools go to die !!!
    there is a hard core of people who are retired—-engineers —woodworkers —tradesmen, all seem to congregate at any car boot sale —— those who sell only second used tools and instruments , machines and hand tools .
    Invariably, old tools are far superior to the modern stuff , which is usually nothing like the standard of old tools and machinery . Cutlery and cutting tools from Sheffield and Pittsburg —- the Ruhr valley and Toledo ; Machinery from Ohio , Derby and Wolverhampton. Instruments from Geneva — Milan and Paris.
    Nowadays all the stuff in the shops is made in the Far East—- Taiwan- Korea- China. Japanese tooling is nothing like it was pre-war.
    Today its a throw away society—- quality is adequate to last a short while before replacing it with another of the same ilk. IN THE PAST —If you were an apprentice carpenter —- you looked for tools from an old carpenter who had retired —— or bought tools that would last the rest of your life . Instruments that would last 100 years or more . Compasses -micrometers - wood or steel rulers .
    STARRETT IN OHIO AND MOORE AND WRIGHT IN England —— devices that were almost too good for their own good.
    Nowadays, can anyone tell me for certain that the modern radar system is any more accurate than a good old fashioned SEXTANT, that has been around for hundreds of years—- made of brass and housed in a wooden box. Will still be being used long after series i-2-3, plastic radar has been dumped .
    NO DOUBT ABOUT IT “FINGS AIN’T WOT THEY USED TO BE” !!!

2. Likes GENE LANHAM, OLEGATOR liked this post
    #2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sir Jackie, yes I can verify an electronic Radar is better than a sextant until the power goes out, at that point your side of the discussion wins. mainly during daytime navigation is certainly a plus in visually hampered situations. second, how many people do you know that know what to do with a sextant ? I strongly agree tools from the far east are limited at best for longevity. need to ask you a question about Marks endeavors currently, sending you a PM, Fun Out
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mr fun View Post
    Sir Jackie, yes I can verify an electronic Radar is better than a sextant until the power goes out, at that point your side of the discussion wins. mainly during daytime navigation is certainly a plus in visually hampered situations. second, how many people do you know that know what to do with a sextant ? I strongly agree tools from the far east are limited at best for longevity. need to ask you a question about Marks endeavors currently, sending you a PM, Fun Out
    Using stars is much more accurate than the Sun for a position as you get more triangulation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so you are telling me that radar is more accurate than the moon and stars. Relies on only mans ability to use the science that has been around since before pontius was a pilate.
    Forgive me if i don’t agree Keith, and as you say, without batteries its just a piece of useless equipment—- just like the mobile phone , computer and iPad —. Voice never fails though does it, not all the time there’s breath in the body!

#2 iron from the Mayo clinic, Fla. / Blue Ridge, VA.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all i'm saying in thick fog mid morning a sextant is about as useful as a soiled napkin
    most overnite successes usually take at least 10 years

Certified turd polisher,

7. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all i'm saying in thick fog mid morning a sextant is about as useful as a soiled napkin
    About the same as a radar without batteries then??????????? MITIGATING CICUMSTANCES DONTCHA KNOW!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CLOCKS OVER HERE WENT FORWARD BY ONE HOUR SOMETIME DURING THE NIGHT.
    i always wait until after breakfast and the crossword puzzle before changing the time on my wrist watch. Undid the clasp and removed watch from wrist!!!!!!!!!
    Was surprised when two butterflies— one long eared bat —- two sparrows and hawk moth flew out from under the strap . Inside was a long lost garden of spring onions and new potatoes ????????? Ok, so i only take off my watch twice a year to turn it back and forth an hour , but Jesus wept —- the hidden gardens of JRW on your wrist .
    was quite a disgusting sight—even to me. Took a beer glass and filled it with hot water chucked the ticker in and then two STERADENT tablets. Boiled like a witches brew , but man you should see the gleaming Timex on my wrist—- FECKIN AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    About the same as a radar without batteries then??????????? MITIGATING CICUMSTANCES DONTCHA KNOW!!!!!!!!
    you just use those guys from the AC boats and have a hand cranked Radar

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    you just use those guys from the AC boats and have a hand cranked Radar
    Do night glasses work in fog Pilgrim????????? AC boats????????? Or is that our beloved bloody spellcheck ??????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    radar works in fog

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    radar works in fog
    not without fecking batteries it dont !!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately modern navigation aids have become required even in the clear light of day in some cases. In the 60s and 70s one could navigate South Biscayne Bay using just your Mark 1 eyeballs. The navigation markers were easily seen from one to the next and well maintained. By the early 2000s the markers were out of visual range of each other and required binoculars to locate. Driving a boat while looking through binocs doesn't work. Thus I wound up getting my first GPS chart device. One advantage these devices have is instant and accurate speed readings to a !/10 mph. This allows fine setup adjustments on the fly. Would have been nice back in the day.
    By the way Jackie Starrett is located i Athol, Mass.

15. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...note to self: always carry extra batteries...

17. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course he can’t drive worth a lick- purely the car that he’s always had that does the winning .
    Put any other driver in the same car and they would win anyway. Well that’s the story going round.
    Whilst the world was singing Verstappens praises and winning all the practice sessions ,plus the first pole position of the new season, Hamilton was quietly dialling in last years car !!!!!!
    Lucky bastard only went and won the season opener ???????????? Wonder how the hell that happened
    WIN NUMBER 96 methinks ——. No F1 driver ever came close to winning 100 GP’S before —— really does look like the only way to stop him is shoot the bugger; ??????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    Unfortunately modern navigation aids have become required even in the clear light of day in some cases. In the 60s and 70s one could navigate South Biscayne Bay using just your Mark 1 eyeballs. The navigation markers were easily seen from one to the next and well maintained. By the early 2000s the markers were out of visual range of each other and required binoculars to locate. Driving a boat while looking through binocs doesn't work. Thus I wound up getting my first GPS chart device. One advantage these devices have is instant and accurate speed readings to a !/10 mph. This allows fine setup adjustments on the fly. Would have been nice back in the day.
    By the way Jackie Starrett is located i Athol, Mass.
    My apologies .i thought BROWNE AND SHARPE were in MASS—— American measuring devices have always been world class. So why do we all buy CHEAP, CHUCKAWAY CHINKIE CRAP???????? WHEN for a few dollars more , we could have once in a lifetime tooling ???

Page 929 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 429 829 879 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 979 1029 ... LastLast