Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    ...no gene. nothing shifty going on here...
    shades of Yam V8 and Suzuki 350 gears under the powerhead....
    Did they copy it, will there be a patent fight???

Nice to see Merc finally catch up on technology to reduce the load on the gearbox, Merc need to add that to production engines like the Japs have
    Then they can add shift to the vertical shaft( like a BP) and put huge or more gears in the lower?
    Back to the future...
    Last edited by powerabout; 09-20-2020 at 01:12 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    You forgot F3 where OMC saw off Merc for 20 years with an engine full of fishing motor parts, then in mono hulls T850 ( stock 70hp) was all Yam and still today.

When you say in the fore of outboard production do you mean technology or sales numbers?
    Who rattled your cage today ? I never forget anything Pilgrim , please don’t give me all that crap about “Fishing Motor Parts”. Nobody disputes the OMC 750 had much more grunt than the equivalent Mercury. But if you want to talk about long levity in race motors, how about the V6 Mercury? Nearly fifty years before they finally pulled the plug.
    Technology or production, you choose. Fact is, Mercury are still there, still expanding, still employing. Don’t blame Mercury because there’s no competition from any other manufacturer, in any capacity! As the old saying goes “Put up or shut up” !
    T 850 just happens to suit the Yami, what other manufacturer has an 850 ? Another old adage is “no substitute for cubic inches”. If you want a motor to go racing, get one that has the full cubic capacity in the beginning, then fiddle fart !
    Im still surprised that Mercury put their product where their mouth is !
    Hells teeth Pilgrim , it’s Sunday, and I’m too old to start arguments again !

3. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Who rattled your cage today ? I never forget anything Pilgrim , please don’t give me all that crap about “Fishing Motor Parts”. Nobody disputes the OMC 750 had much more grunt than the equivalent Mercury. But if you want to talk about long levity in race motors, how about the V6 Mercury? Nearly fifty years before they finally pulled the plug.
    Technology or production, you choose. Fact is, Mercury are still there, still expanding, still employing. Don’t blame Mercury because there’s no competition from any other manufacturer, in any capacity! As the old saying goes “Put up or shut up” !
    T 850 just happens to suit the Yami, what other manufacturer has an 850 ? Another old adage is “no substitute for cubic inches”. If you want a motor to go racing, get one that has the full cubic capacity in the beginning, then fiddle fart !
    Im still surprised that Mercury put their product where their mouth is !
    Hells teeth Pilgrim , it’s Sunday, and I’m too old to start arguments again !
    Agree, the Merc V6 needs to be in the engine hall of fame, along side the 3 cyl OMC

( F2 is happily running with a EPA compliant v6 2 DFI Merc till Merc decides they cant use it..)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree, the Merc V6 needs to be in the engine hall of fame, along side the 3 cyl OMC

( F2 is happily running with a EPA compliant v6 2 DFI Merc till Merc decides they cant use it..)
    Lets face it Pilgrim, no company can afford to keep an obsolete motor running for long. Trick will be to see if they (or anyone else) can make a light two litre four stroke outboard For competition purposes I doubt that, took much Outlay for so little return.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lets face it Pilgrim, no company can afford to keep an obsolete motor running for long. Trick will be to see if they (or anyone else) can make a light two litre four stroke outboard For competition purposes I doubt that, took much Outlay for so little return.
    Well saying that I can buy parts and complete small block chevs from GM 65 years after that design came out?
    I walk around asia and see brand new Honda bikes from the 70's

So many boats built to suit the Merc v6 and now there is nothing to buy in that power/weight range? Modern technology cant seem to do it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well saying that I can buy parts and complete small block chevs from GM 65 years after that design came out?
    I walk around asia and see brand new Honda bikes from the 70's

So many boats built to suit the Merc v6 and now there is nothing to buy in that power/weight range?

Modern technology cant seem to do it?
    Was it ever so, I remember in the seventies there wasn't a boat built by Anyone that could take the combination of weight and power that the WIZARD produced.
    Jonrude V 8 had the same problem in the early eighties . boat manufacturers had to rethink and build a boat to suit the motor.
    Are we talking boat ,or motor Technology here. We have known since the sixties the end of two strokes was nigh. . Same thing will happen to outboards Again in the near future. Gasoline and diesel will be outlawed. Electric will be the way to go. Where to put the batteries. Boat or motor ?
    Not too far back to remember , some clown in California wanted to “Ban Smoking” was never going to happen, or was it?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...two of the greatest modern day, if you will, engineered outboards ever, agreed. when the 1968 Triumph 55 3 cylinder looper was born, it was omc's first looper that also had thru-hub exhaust, and modern era mid-section & trim & styling, that the complete rest of the johnson & evinrude line did not posess. it stuck out, as what the rest of their motors needed for change badly, and eventually did. at that point the Triumph design architecture was what Mercury already had in the looks & function department...across they're entire line. Charlie Strang was OMC's night-in-shining-armor that left Mercury the year before, came to OMC, and made it all happen. he was the lead on the entire project. nobody can debate what he did for OMC's Triumph 55 & future engineering & marketing.

9. Likes GENE LANHAM, Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1979 Parker.GG and Duckworth decided to put LONGER gears in the foot to prolong the life . It certainly lasted the seven hours. On inspection back at the office, there was no sign of any appreciable wear. Just saying !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was good friends with ROD QUAIFE. He was a wizard with gearboxes , plus a bunch of other trick stuff. He made a two step box for a straight six mercury, but i was always too busy to try it. Wonder what happened to it ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided I’d have a crack at a F1 concept with one of the new V8 lumps stuck on its bum. Carved out of a solid billet of aluminium, with a stainless deck and a crash box cell. All the new F1 craft are as ugly as a stack of assholes, so mine can’t be any worse. Looking at the size of the agricultural gear case, I suspect that Mercury are thinking there may be trouble ahead !!!!.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided I’d have a crack at a F1 concept with one of the new V8 lumps stuck on its bum. Carved out of a solid billet of aluminium, with a stainless deck and a crash box cell. All the new F1 craft are as ugly as a stack of assholes, so mine can’t be any worse. Looking at the size of the agricultural gear case, I suspect that Mercury are thinking there may be trouble ahead !!!!.
    the new v8 still has the old IV ssm on it, they added a jap step up box under the powerhead to keep the warranty claims down...lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the new v8 still has the old IV ssm on it, they added a jap step up box under the powerhead to keep the warranty claims down...lol
    Holy crap and corruption, isn’t that the same hoof that i used on the cosworth forty four years ago?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy crap and corruption, isn’t that the same hoof that i used on the cosworth forty four years ago?
    close....
    when I said old IV its also current ssm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...on the bottom of your alpha drive jackie? i thought is was a #2 speedmaster, no?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damned if I can remember Fuji.
    Boat is in Marks Shop at Fort Pierce, its all up together except for the dummy DFV.
    Gear case is still where it’s supposed to be, I’ll call Mark tomorrow, he knows every gear case Theres ever been.

Page 862 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 362 762 812 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 858 859 860 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 912 962 ... LastLast