User Tag List

Page 8 of 1251 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 58 108 508 1008 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	411.1 KB 
ID:	293863Click image for larger version. 

Views:	81 
Size:	388.2 KB 
ID:	293864That's one of the cut outs from the guitar-------I'm always wandering off away from the main project and usually have three or four things going at once, it's the piece I tried the Brywax filler on, skier is only laid on at the minute, trick will be the mounting.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Views:	35 
Size:	383.2 KB 
ID:	293865Click image for larger version. 

Views:	98 
Size:	393.2 KB 
ID:	293866If you look at the first piccy it's a whale tail, turn it forty five and it becomes an angel fish, another distraction, if ever I get bogged down I fool around with bits and pieces and can get my mind back on track in reasonable time. Find it hard to focus all the time, keep reliving races and basking in what once was.
    Does anyone out there do that, how 'bout you Rich, Stavros. Willa, Billy.
    Didn't we earn the right to daydream in our dotage, it's the way I feel anyway.

Speedy, will measure up the Fender soon as I get up, it's seven thirty in the morning here and I do like to spend an hour in bed with my iPad, Jesus wept how sad is that-----good job it can't cook.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Speed fab, measured the fender and it's 46mm, probably 3mm of lacquer, damned if I would bet the farm on the kind of wood. It looks like Obeche or Satinwood----dead straight grained---not a knot in sight-----good for toilet seats and mass made " Fenders" I suppose.
    Another thought crossed my mind, which sometimes happens if I am in need of sex, whiskey or food, or indeed all three,------is DONMAC A LEFTIE.? If he is I'm in deep ka-ka
    turned the disc out of the same plank as the guitar ----have done a grain fill on it---will show you the results later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack, you don't need to do any routing! I don't think I'll put a pic. guard over that nice wood! that would be like driving an E-type with a car cover on it! not using the fender tremolo either. I'll probably rig it in the Gibson or PRS style with the cavity on the back! the neck scale length and neck socket determine where the bridge and pickups are located! I had a nice maple strat neck here that was planned for this project,but my son just finished another guitar with it! so now I have to find a neck, the nice thing is I can choose anything I want!
    Last edited by donmac; 03-07-2014 at 08:03 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donmac View Post
    Jack, you don't need to do any routing! I don't think I'll put a pic. guard over that nice wood! that would be like driving an E-type with a car cover on it! not using the fender tremolo either. I'll probably rig it in the Gibson or PRS style with the cavity on the back! the neck scale length and neck socket determine where the bridge and pickups are located! I had a nice maple strat neck here that was planned for this project,but my son just finished another guitar with it! so now I have to find a neck, the nice thing is I can choose anything I want!
    So you just want the basic polished base, was going to suggest skeleton mirror finish stainless pic guard----May just chuck it in to make up the package.
    Just going into the shop to final sand the "banjo" disc-----will give an idea on what yours will look like.
    Had a bit of De-Ja_ vue when you said son had nicked the maple neck-----nothing is sacred for sons.
    this is the banjo with the grain filler applied ( light oak if you believe 'em.)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As my old fiend Chas Shooter used to say ---Some days you eat bear and other days the bear eats you.
    Really got a hustle on this afternoon and finished the "banjo", got a bit too enthusiastiic with the mop and it spun out of my hand, rolled across the shop floor like it was on fire ----tore a lump out of it,---will have to spin a bevel on it to get rid of the damage----no big deal.
    the grain filler is a disaster, the finish is the same as my old granny's dresser----antique---loads of patina and the grain sticks out like a sore thumb.
    Pity really, 'cos I knocked it down all the way to 1000 grit and. Am well happy with the finish----just two coats of beeswax, it picks the grain out in dark brown, that's not what I want, would like to try white lime filler------it might look a bit Danish but it will look modern and not like an old Victorian piano.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in a small corner of an English churchyard is the last resting place of the first American airman to be killed in the Second World War, he was the first of thousands who gave their lives.
    My dad flew 36 missions over Germany with a crew of Americans, Canadians and an Aussie , he died 10 years ago aged 91.

Bear with me, just doing a bit of the nostalgia thing, get back to the job tomorrow .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am trying to put together a trip to England and Ireland next year after we get through with my daughters wedding. I want to go to Framlingham to the base my dad flew his missions from and to the little town in Ireland my Grandfather came from.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    I am trying to put together a trip to England and Ireland next year after we get through with my daughters wedding. I want to go to Framlingham to the base my dad flew his missions from and to the little town in Ireland my Grandfather came from.
    Then tighten your knicker 'lastic, book your flight, walk the paths your dad used, number one evil in our lives PROCRASTINATION.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This year we have two obligations. First this spring we have to take my parent's ashes to our home town in Mass. to be buried then we have my daughters wedding in November. After that if I can convince the wife to get on a plane long enough I am going.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=2us70;2608466]This year we have two obligations. First this spring we have to take my parent's ashes to our home town in Mass. to be buried then we have my daughters wedding in November. After that if I can convince the wife to get on a plane long enough I am going.[/QUOT

I had four daughters----all four of them got married-----and I never thought of it as an OBLIGATION, whilst they were not always sweetness and light, a couple of them were total disasters and I never read a book that lived up to the realities of my daughters boy friends and husbands.
    What I did get out of the sometimes chaos that came with girls are 11wonderful grandchildren and 8 great grandchildren----you cannot buy a result like that----sit back and thank God for a great life and live every day like it's your last.
    One day one of them will probably have to empty my urn, I do hope they have a laugh and a giggle and recollect some of the fun times, if I ever thought it would be an obligation I would tell 'em to leave me in the urn down in the workshop.
    Hope you ENJOY the trip to Mass. After all, they did write a song about it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don, tossed and turned a lot last night wondering and cogitating on which direction. Going to spin the Banjo, reface it and start from square one with the grain filler. Will get it right I promise you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack I know nothing about wood grain and how to make it succumb to your desires! I do know they paint the bodies that have a slab unusable for a natural finish!maybe this piece of wood is destined for paint, it isn't the first and won't be the last! you can't do the impossible!
    if this piece wants to be a painted body just get the shape the way you want it and we'll call it done!

an old racer once said! "We've done so much,for so long,with so little,we can now do anything,with nothing!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been hard at it all morning, spun the surface off the disc, filled the grain with a much lighter filler--it's out in the fresh air with the sun on it drying out----let's see how it behaves once I've given it a good seeing to.
    Guitar is looking good for lift off, will decide today just what kind of filler to use, when you get it I want you to think there is NO filler there at all----then I shall be a happy bunny.
    It is very tactile----one of those things you just have to reach out and touch, run your fingers over it and feel the beauty of the wood.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Views:	78 
Size:	405.5 KB 
ID:	293919Click image for larger version. 

Views:	73 
Size:	395.9 KB 
ID:	293920Click image for larger version. 

Views:	79 
Size:	395.5 KB 
ID:	293921Click image for larger version. 

Views:	76 
Size:	403.9 KB 
ID:	293922By God Don, am I good or am I good and modest with it ?.
    absolutely nailed it---got it not just right, but bloody perfect.
    This is what your guitar will look like, high gloss finish with beeswax---no epoxy required, Don like I promised, you will love it, I finally got it right

Page 8 of 1251 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 58 108 508 1008 ... LastLast