Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    From the pen of Clarence no doubt?
    I'm told this is the V-8 gear case. Clarence indeed did the original, but Jim Nerstrom is taking credit for this one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mercury never seemed to understand the need for the crescent front and the angular fin of a race motor gearcase.
    Rolla drew out a gearcase which was almost identical to the Koenig bottom end , only more so.
    He showed it to Dick Schneider but I don’t think it went any further.
    Put an OMC gearcase next to a Mercury gearcase and you’ll see what I mean!
    Looks like a mechanic drew the Merc—- and an artist designed the OMC—— I don’t think either was fault free—— both had major issues.
    To me ( yes I am totally biased) Phil Rolla was the greatest authority on high performance propellers at that time—- both circuit and offshore!
    He moved quickly from The traditional two blade, then to a three blade—— even quicker to a four blade which was highly successful —— on to five and six blades——
    Now it cost near as much to make an F1 prop at around £500, as it did to produce an offshore prop—— be it five or six blades——- both required many hours of hand work——-there was also much more money to be earned from offshore props than there was from circuit props. So F1 circuit props did tend to drop by the wayside .
    Sorry about that—- it’s what I do, I start to talk—- then to think—— then to remember—- then forget what I was talking about in the first place.
    If any one wants to chip in and challenge—— or discuss—- or just yell “BOLLOCKS”, please feel free so to do !!!

3. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E195CF1C-4CE7-4245-B151-CE48D18D5D0A.jpeg 
Views:	11 
Size:	76.3 KB 
ID:	459530

They seem to be getting the hang of things now Fuji—— shame it took fifty years—— if only they’d listened!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	905C27D7-A2B7-4210-8B57-ABEFF36706A0.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	459531
    wonder who that is getting a little fresh air. .

6. Likes AZMIDLYF, GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don Hendricks was OMC’S prop guru in the late sixties and seventies. I met him a couple of times at Rollas place on the lake Before his big move to Lugano.
    There were very few “Prop” men in those days—— although there were a few foundries that would cast props for a price—— Radice—- Michegan . Etc!
    Propulsion is not and never has been an EXACT science—— Theres a lot of feel—- gut feeling—- trial and error —— heartbreak and diligence comes into the equation.
    Mercury were slow on the uptake in the early days, but caught up rapidly to become a front runner in the propellor stakes.
    You can have 200 horsepower at the shaft—— but it’s not worth a hill of beans if you don’t have the wheel to suit ? Then of course the jockey still has a say in what goes on
    Rolla and Arneson were good friends—— Mark got to know Howard quite well——- TWIN DISC bought the ARNESON company——- Twin Disc then bought Rolla Propellors providing Mark ( who had been working for Rolla for ten years at that time) came with the deal.
    This is all leading up to the fact that the world is not exactly brimfull of knowledgeable propeller gurus.
    Its a long , steep and winding road that only a few men will ever reach the summit.
    Just saying Mark Wilson is one of the few that made it to the top and stayed there!
    Again—- I’m rambling—— trouble is—- I’ve got six weeks of “time on my hands” —- so there could be a lot more of ramblings on the “ TRICKS” site on S+F !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	E662A2BD-C94E-43E9-B9C5-E8B976D8F94E.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	459542

One of my early attempts at fernagling a quickie gear case——- took a bloody long time, and it didn’t seem like it was worth all the effort.
    Another of my better attempts was on the big Jonrude stuck on the bum of the PUGH I DID FOR ROGER HINSDALE.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a mechanic drew the Merc—- and an artist designed the OMC—— You are correct Jackie. Clarence Blanchard designed the outside shape of the OMC gear case above and those who knw him, know he was an artist first. In his later years he carved decoys that were sold for small fortunes.
    Jim Nerstrom
    Charlie Strang designed the first twin pinions while he was at Jones Engines waiting for his non-compete with Kiekhaefer to end. He worked with an engineer at OMC Waukegan who did the actural design layout - Hank Duer. Clarence Blanchard designed the CCC gearcase, which btw had a pitot tube cast into the strut/skeg. The pitot idea was later dropped because they would plug up and could not be cleared. I designed the CC, 727, V8 and SST100. Karl did not design any of our products.
    Last edited by Rotary John; 02-28-2020 at 11:41 AM.

10. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post

Name:	E662A2BD-C94E-43E9-B9C5-E8B976D8F94E.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	229.1 KB 
ID:	459542

One of my early attempts at fernagling a quickie gear case——- took a bloody long time, and it didn’t seem like it was worth all the effort.
    Another of my better attempts was on the big Jonrude stuck on the bum of the PUGH I DID FOR ROGER HINSDALE.
    You did one for my rotary model you did fr me. As a footnote, the rotary never ran with the "Darth Vader" gear case.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    You did one for my rotary model you did fr me. As a footnote, the rotary never ran with the "Darth Vader" gear case.
    Did get a great bottle of very expensive single malt for that one Johnno——- that day I ate bear!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Attachment 459543Attachment 459544

Few years ago—— one for Gene and one for Ted—- tried hard to make em look alike !
    Both men played an important part in the tale of the REDBIRD.

14. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spent a couple of hours at the Trauma unit in the Victoria Hospital East Grinstead today—— been a week since the surgery and the damn thing was beginning to stink.
    Sure enough when they finally removed the dressing wet rot had set in—— looked a bit grey- spit out and trod on —- not quite right somehow !
    Its all cleaned up with a thermal plastic splint—- it’s good to go until Tuesday, we’ll take it from there!
    Bad news is——- no driving —- no workshop—- no dust or dirt for the next five weeks, which means I get to bore the crap out of all those poor souls who read this column for the next few weeks.

Might have to write the book —— the one about the sport we all love so much
    —- it’s people—- places and events that I can remember or fabricate if I can’t.
    It covers all five continents——- multiple countries—— amazing boats and race people, as well as dog boats and crap people.
    Probably be a bunch of people wanting my arse——- get in line !!!!
    Just keep in touch for the next five weeks—- I promise you lots of stuff never seen before—- with tales from long ago you couldn’t even make up if you tried !
    Guess I can put the Silver Ghosts on hold for five weeks !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your posts are never boring. Hope you get healed up soon. Love the art you have been producing in the workshop.
    1970 15' Allison/135 Chrysler stacker
    RC Mod-VP Boats

IMPBA District 13
    NAMBA District 3

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Poole ModVP View Post
    Your posts are never boring. Hope you get healed up soon. Love the art you have been producing in the workshop.
    Thanks for that Mark—— you’ll probably be seeing a great deal more of it on these pictures in the near future—— I’ll be whiling away the hours somehow——and I have lots of pictures like these!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	715CB199-62FF-479C-AB6D-77FBC7F45535.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	195.4 KB 
ID:	459614Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5FAA89C-5DDC-4096-8BDD-B3017BEDB5F4.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	294.3 KB 
ID:	459615

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boat Racing needs a great Novel, to reveal the excitement on & off the water.

Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Spent a couple of hours at the Trauma unit in the Victoria Hospital East Grinstead today—— been a week since the surgery and the damn thing was beginning to stink.
    Sure enough when they finally removed the dressing wet rot had set in—— looked a bit grey- spit out and trod on —- not quite right somehow !
    Its all cleaned up with a thermal plastic splint—- it’s good to go until Tuesday, we’ll take it from there!
    Bad news is——- no driving —- no workshop—- no dust or dirt for the next five weeks, which means I get to bore the crap out of all those poor souls who read this column for the next few weeks.

Might have to write the book —— the one about the sport we all love so much
    —- it’s people—- places and events that I can remember or fabricate if I can’t.
    It covers all five continents——- multiple countries—— amazing boats and race people, as well as dog boats and crap people.
    Probably be a bunch of people wanting my arse——- get in line !!!!
    Just keep in touch for the next five weeks—- I promise you lots of stuff never seen before—- with tales from long ago you couldn’t even make up if you tried !
    Guess I can put the Silver Ghosts on hold for five weeks !
    Your book about “the sport we all love so much”, sounds like an interesting read. I would like to suggest a protagonist on a journey will, generate a wider readership, then a journal book of events. I have mentioned this to Ron Hill in the past too.

Rocky is probably the most successful sport’s movie. And the storyline is not just the fight game, but tensions & resolves with his trainer and his girlfriend’s brother. And also Rocky pursuing and courting his new girlfriend.

Race car movies like Ford vs Ferrari, Rush, Grand Prix and Lemans all have storylines off the race track too. These movies want the viewer to identify with the protagonist racer, and his struggles and accomplishments off the track. Then the viewer will root-for the racer, when he is racing on the big screen.

These basic movie formats that bring out large audiences will, also lend themselves to books. You mention “fabricate” and that might be what it will take to bring a boat racing book to the masses. I took a lady friend to see the movie Ford vs Ferrari, and I was surprised she liked the movie. And why —it had an interesting storyline and characters, because she is not interested in race cars or racing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    Your book about “the sport we all love so much”, sounds like an interesting read. I would like to suggest a protagonist on a journey will, generate a wider readership, then a journal book of events. I have mentioned this to Ron Hill in the past too.

Rocky is probably the most successful sport’s movie. And the storyline is not just the fight game, but tensions & resolves with his trainer and his girlfriend’s brother. And also Rocky pursuing and courting his new girlfriend.

Race car movies like Ford vs Ferrari, Rush, Grand Prix and Lemans all have storylines off the race track too. These movies want the viewer to identify with the protagonist racer, and his struggles and accomplishments off the track. Then the viewer will root-for the racer, when he is racing on the big screen.

These basic movie formats that bring out large audiences will, also lend themselves to books. You mention “fabricate” and that might be what it will take to bring a boat racing book to the masses. I took a lady friend to see the movie Ford vs Ferrari, and I was surprised she liked the movie. And why —it had an interesting storyline and characters, because she is not interested in race cars or racing.
    Tell you what ROY—- how about I Write down my thoughts and send em to you to add your thoughts—— then make up a round robin of interesting power boat personalities to add thers——- SEEBOLD —— WARBY—— before it’s too late.
    Events alone would never be enough—— has to include the midnight oil—- girlfriend’s—- parties —— aims ,ambitions , successes , failures—- everything there is or ever was in boating.
    its the never ending boat story ????

Page 775 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 275 675 725 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 799 825 875 ... LastLast