Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No doubt about it—— 3D Printer images are deadly accurate and stunning to the eye—— but it’s like comparing any work of art to a photograph.
    Somehow, it just doesn’t feel right ! Progress I suppose.
    Im told that ANYTHING can be reproduced in 3D these days—— guns—— complete engines—— historical pieces of jewellery ——— I like the result, but somehow, I’m damned if it feels right—— bit like taking the iPad into the exam room to qualify for a place at university.
    Am I on my own in this view —— does anyone out there feel the same way—— or is it just an old fart envious of the success of the three Dee?
    On reflection, I do make props and steering wheels and bits for my own “Concepts” with a 3D printer, so I could be accused of being hypocritical.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    No doubt about it—— 3D Printer images are deadly accurate and stunning to the eye—— but it’s like comparing any work of art to a photograph.
    Somehow, it just doesn’t feel right ! Progress I suppose.
    Im told that ANYTHING can be reproduced in 3D these days—— guns—— complete engines—— historical pieces of jewellery ——— I like the result, but somehow, I’m damned if it feels right—— bit like taking the iPad into the exam room to qualify for a place at university.
    Am I on my own in this view —— does anyone out there feel the same way—— or is it just an old fart envious of the success of the three Dee?
    On reflection, I do make props and steering wheels and bits for my own “Concepts” with a 3D printer, so I could be accused of being hypocritical.
    Jackie: I'm afraid old fart craftsmanship is a thing of our past. Kinda like math, if the calculator says so, it must be correct. I used to build archery equipment, recurve and compound bows, but now it's all 3-D CNC machined. I like progress, but as you say, there's just no feeling like the personal touch.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    Jackie: I'm afraid old fart craftsmanship is a thing of our past. Kinda like math, if the calculator says so, it must be correct. I used to build archery equipment, recurve and compound bows, but now it's all 3-D CNC machined. I like progress, but as you say, there's just no feeling like the personal touch.
    I agree with you wholeheartedly Johnno—— the car industry used to employ millions of people, today there’s a handful of people employed in it——- but thousands of ROBOTS !
    Only a short step before they give five year olds a laptop and tell em to get on With it—- teachers—- history—heritage—- all in the past!
    Crazy movies—— bad language—- manners and speech will be the norm——- books, families, home made cooking ——- all long gone.
    Still with the high street gone forever—— doesn’t matter—— get it on line the following day—- even from the USA.
    You can still get a Big Mac—— a bucket of fries—— and a gallon of coke——- And still have change out of a fifty !
    What price progress ?
    Fifty years ago if any one had told you an outboard motor would cost $50,000 you would have laughed in their face!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Only a short step before they give five year olds a laptop and tell em to get on With it—-
    What price progress ?
    Or put bright young men in the cockpit of a Boeing 737MAX---with only 200 hours of experience--mostly on a SIMULATOR

6. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    Or put bright young men in the cockpit of a Boeing 737MAX---with only 200 hours of experience--mostly on a SIMULATOR
    Gene,
    My sainted mother used to say —— walk before you run son——- there’s a”learning curve”
    From kindergarten schooling to high school—— to university—— then on to joining society!
    If you were less fortunate you did a five year apprenticeship before moving out into the world.
    Im told there’s no substitute for experience.
    No matter what walk of life you chose—— winners always are the ones with experience !

8. Likes GENE LANHAM, OLEGATOR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All systems go at the minute. Had a stellar day in the shop—- should have the roller done and dusted in the next few days. Five weeks it’s taken——- seems like that’s the length of time each one takes!
    On the up side—— not much arthritis—— grey cells still running like clockwork—— eyesight still pretty damn good—— fifteen years since I had the cataracts done.
    Chucking the damn lathe around—- I must have pulled a muscle—— I have an ache in my left arse bone you wouldn’t believe.
    will be quite glad to get this last one finished—— started with Rich Luhrs, and ended with my grandkids.
    Grand total of ten in all—— yes, I can tell you who has them all—— SAm— Gary— Scottie B. —- Billy—
    Two anonymous—- the Wilson grandkids Two left in the shop and one unfinished.
    Been a year since I started the project, I’m glad it’s nearly over as I have a couple of ideas floating round in the old brain box I’d like to get off the ground.
    See if I can’t post a couple of piccies today—- seems like that’s what you have to do to spark interest these days——- nobody has time to read the written word.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got my head down and my arse up —— Beavered away like the proverbial “demented Gippetto”—- should have it ready for the upholstery tomorrow.
    Haven't decided whether to send it to, —- Park Ward—- Hoopers —- or Mulliners—-
    for the Chesterfield Black leather upholstery ?
    This last one is based on the 1908 Rolls Royce Silver Ghost that the American entrepreneur “ HARRY SELFRIDGE” bought.
    He did have a couple of accidents with it around 1910 ?
    He also built a “Little Ole Store” called “ Selfridges” .
    Lots of personalised extras on this one——- think you might just like it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    “ONCE MORE, INTO THE BREACH” ——— memorable day today—- I will finish the last Rolls Royce Silver Ghost ! for me, that’s quite an achievement !
    I tend to get distracted and start something else half way through any “ Concept “—— this time I just ploughed on until the end.
    I have half a dozen offshore boats in various states of finish——— need to get them finished before the move.
    I do have a “Biggie” in mind —- don’t know if I can carry it through - but I’ll give it some thought!

My son and grandson told me “ You never Finish anything “—— so this time I have. (to the best of my ability”)
    Sunday the 5th January 2020—- just a normal day—— will be in the shop for five or six hours, finishing and fernagling—— keeping the arthritis at bay and the little grey cells active.
    Have found a place with a garage and a couple of wooden workshops—— that’ll do for me, may have to split the enterprise—— machine shop in the garage, sanding and polishing, assembly and finish in the largest of the wooden sheds ?
    Who knows, it could be a nice little earner ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	75B968E1-3A9E-499C-BFC4-08DFC17F68F8.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	315.4 KB 
ID:	455809

That’s the all purpose catch tray I fernagled for my lathe—- huge success!

13. Likes Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB51FBEA-0562-40EB-9DB6-533233242823.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	305.6 KB 
ID:	455817Click image for larger version. 

Name:	85D9551F-4CE8-4125-9B2B-D139A5DF71C1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	257.9 KB 
ID:	455818

Couple of photos of the latest Silver Ghost——- as my grandkids can confirm—— I take lousy piccies !
    Not quite ready for the upholstery yet——- but close.
    Thought I ought to post something—— or you might think I’ve been yanking you’re chain for the last six weeks.
    leather upholstery should be done end of next week.
    Will endeavour to post some better pictures tomorrow.

15. Likes powerabout, AZMIDLYF, Capt.Insane-o liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the reasons I tried to make a really good job of the “Rollers” is because, I sent a picture to BONHAMS the very Posh, upmarket auctioneers of one of my early efforts.
    A certain Mr WILSON told me , no thank you, we’re not interested ! Items have to have a value of a minimum of £150——- Now believe it or not—— this got right up my left nostril—— pissed me off in no uncertain terms. But, —- on the upside—- everything I’ve done in that direction has been top class.
    ive only sold one under a thousand——- that was to a friend !
    Now they’re all finished——- I can get on with “Finishing” the six offshore Iconic historical boats——- two twin hills and four monos.
    Ive always been a bit of a bugger when it comes to putting the final touches to anything—- my mind invariably goes off at a tangent and onto a new concept long before the finish.
    Watch out for half a dozen boats in rapid succession—— they’re all shaped up except for the finishing touches—— where are you John Schubert When I need you?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You truly outdid yourself on this one.

18. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    You truly outdid yourself on this one.
    I cheated a bit Johnno just to get a piccy on the S&F thread——- it wasn’t anywhere near finished.
    T Top framework —— Silver Lady ( spirit of ecstatics) —— lamp lenses—— upholstery—- adv/ret mechanism—— lots of little things. But I promise I will have them all done this week.

8 poles going into two quadrants that holds a curved rectangular top and the round arse end of a roller, makes for some interesting calculations ——- suffice to say I spent three hours —— most of it trial and error, replacing at least half the poles twice before I nailed it !
    Does look the dogs cajones though——- well worth the effort!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If anyone had told me I would have still been working on the “Silver Ghost” this week —- frankly my dear —- I wouldn’t have believed it!
    Mind you, when it is finally finished it’s certainly the best “ Concept “ I’ve done in years!

Had the offer on the house accepted—- knowing how the legal profession drags its heels, charges the Earth for its painfully slow processes, I estimate we can should be in residence around summertime. Early or late —- depends on whether or not the lawyers get out of bed or not!

Feel much relieved at once more owning and living in my own house again.
    Renting has its advantages, but there’s an awful lot of disadvantages too !
    Lots more work space for me—- I’ve been really cramped for space since the six car garage I had in France.
    Already have a really good lathe now with the 9” South Bend.
    But I have given my word I would buy the HARRISON 11” GAP BED , so I will start the new shop at a gallop !

Page 748 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 248 648 698 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 798 848 1248 ... LastLast