Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    My parents taught us by example that being debt free in retirement is the key to peace of mind.
    mine did as well. my dad retired at age 37.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    mine did as well. my dad retired at age 37.
    I was 50 when I retired—— then I found out what working for a living was all about —— bringing home the bacon by wheeling and dealing—— Fernagling—- cobbling ! That’s when she your wits take over and you start “risk taking” —— but that’s a whole different story, and for another day.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, I’m seriously thinking of retiring again —— I’d like to do it in the next ten years or so—— before I’m too old to enjoy it!
    Bought another South Bend lathe today——- plenty of help loading it on the truck——- forgot about the unloading, I really can’t be chucking 300 lbs of cast iron about any more. Can’t tell you how or when that came about—— could have sworn I had muscles last week—— wonder where they went to?
    Been frantically Fernagling a device to enable the lathe to be slid off the truck without the need for lifting!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    merry christmas to all my friends, have a happy and peaceful time.
    Thanks for your support over the last 12 years.
    Tricks thread could not exist without your support. Myggwy.

5. Thanks AZMIDLYF, GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Likes peterse90 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    merry christmas to all my friends, have a happy and peaceful time.
    Thanks for your support over the last 12 years.
    Tricks thread could not exist without your support. Myggwy.
    Best wishes to you and your clan and the Southbend.
    Brings back memories as my late father had one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must have had a mad fit of depression buying another one.?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must have had a mad fit of depression buying another one.?
    full numerical control??

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    full numerical control??
    Afraid not Pilgrim—— 1950’s top oiler—- will post you i piccie of the electrics——- Freddie Flintstone and Barney Rubble had modern “Crowtonics” compared to these.
    Will put DRO on the Harrison Gap lathe when we move, promise you that’s the last lathe I will ever buy!—— ​Merry Christmas pilgrim.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Afraid not Pilgrim—— 1950’s top oiler—- will post you i piccie of the electrics——- Freddie Flintstone and Barney Rubble had modern “Crowtonics” compared to these.
    Will put DRO on the Harrison Gap lathe when we move, promise you that’s the last lathe I will ever buy!—— ​Merry Christmas pilgrim.
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing—— knew exactly where to look to determine the age of the South Bend Lathe !
    Amazed to find it was manufactured in September 1911 ——- long before the First World War!
    Have to say, it’s nicely made——- they kept the exact format until well after the Second World War.
    Managed to trap my bloody finger changing chucks—— just knew it was going to happen j——- Shoulda put some cushioning on the bed and simply spun it off and let it drop.
    No wonder the electrics looked a bit archaic——- now I’m going to have to retire the whole shebang from top to bottom. Wouldn t normally mind, but this ones just to fill in for an interim period while I fernagle my final workshop and prepare it for THE BEAST .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, that’s Christmas Day over and done with—— I got a neck warmer and three squeeze bottles of BADEDAS shower gel——and a Terry’s chocolate orange- not even socks or handkerchiefs this year.

As my sainted mother used to say—- it’s as far away as it’ll ever be ???
    She was of course referring to next Christmas!
    Definitely do NOT want to see, taste or hear the word “ Turkey” for another year—— I’ve stuffed myself in spite of my best efforts of celibacy ?
    A BIG MAC seems positively appetising after two days binging, with a promise of another tomorrow
    (Boxing Day) . Still this ones sixty miles along the coast at Eastbourne—— I’ve volunteered to do the driving—— that way there’s no booze involved.
    Friday the boat reaches port and life will be back to normal—— get the south bend up and running—— the silver Ghost finished and we’re cooking with gas.
    Tomorrow will be the first day I don’t go anywhere near the shop in a long while.
    Saturday got more houses lined up to scrutinise——- been told that a great workshop with a small house is what I’m looking for.
    Madame would prefer a nice house with a super kitchen and fantastic garden with a lean— to shed would suffice !!!!!
    Somedays that damned bear !!!!!!
    Last edited by jackiewilson; 12-25-2019 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Mistake

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tell the realtor a three car garage with a house. they will catch your drift. you won't end up with that, but...you have to start somewhere...
    Last edited by FUJIMO; 12-25-2019 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    tell the realtor a three car garage with a house. they will catch your drift. you won't end up with that, but...you have to start somewhere...
    Told the “estate agent” .anything with a 50’ barn in the garden will suffice!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

15. Likes AZMIDLYF, ron54 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so it’s Boxing Day morning and I’m not doing much until lunchtime anyway !
    I laid in bed and thought I’d write a couple of hundred words about the 1979 Parker 7hour which is billed as a nine hour ?
    I did this with great aplomb, when I clicked “ send”—— it told me I needed more than three and it was “too short”—— now I’m not a simple person, I always was under the impression that 100 was more than three ??? —— but in this modern age of instant millionaires from the dot dot who think up a game of tiddly checker chess and are hailed as a bloody genius——- I might be wrong!!!
    whats really pissed me off, is the fact the whole soliloquy has disappeared into outer space and I completely wasted my valuable boxing morning answer question time—— only for it to bugger off into the long distance!

I decided to give it one more try without going to the “ Reply With Quote” section, so here goes!
    Cosworth played their part in the 1979 Parker race by sending Duckworth himself, Ian Hawkins and Malcolm Tyrell —- along with a spare, brand fire new COSWORTH DFV V8 motor to boot!
    The rig had won its last race at Chasewater—— The Duchess of York 100 miler—— beating the likes of Alfie Bullen in the factory OMC—and Tom Percival in the works Merc. So it was in good shape.
    i get a call from Bedford Davie ——- how about you bring the boat to Parker if I pick up the transport costs ?
    Of course it was no contest—— a chance to run Parker in a rig I knew damn well could walk it at a canter —— airfreight cost was over $12500 !
    All looked well for a-good result until GG and Duckworth In their unquestionable wisdom, decided to change the gear ratio in the interest of extending the life of the gearcase ( which had never given a moments trouble since COSWORTH had take to rebuilding them after each race) .
    Nobody told me anything about this until the first morning of practice—— that’s when I found out I had nothing in the prop box that Could even get me up on plane!
    Bob Hetzel took my worst prop ——- cut a full half inch off each blade—- this took many hours of intensive labour under a hot desert sun!
    Final result resembled a tin opener— bit it did get us up and running—- but do not slow down in the corners because it would take a mile and a half to get over the hump again!
    We figured there’s only two corners —- seven miles apart— let’s go for it !
    We were running pretty good —- right up there with the best of em for the first four hours—- then Duckworth decided we had better change the gearcase—— the gearcase had other ideas and for twenty five minutes refused to budge—— so that route was abandoned—— press said we came in for a tea break—— scones and crumpets ( untrue) .
    Rest is history—— boat never raced again—- motor was taken out, the boat did the Ford publicity rounds until it was finally retired and sent to the Watt Tyler Maritime museum in Essex.
    It was there until the museum ran out of funds——- closed , all the boats and motors were put outside, in the middle of winter,
    I FOUND OUT ABOUT THIS——— called Mark—— he called COSWORTH ( who had lost all interest in the boat years ago) did a deal, shipped the boat back to florida—- which is where it is today!
    But that’s not the end of the story?

17. Thanks AZMIDLYF thanked for this post
    Likes peterse90, powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie, I saw the boat at Bristol with the original motor but not in its present display form. Did you make the Replica DFV it does look the part.

Page 745 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 245 645 695 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 795 845 1245 ... LastLast