Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Attachment 439047

Look what I picked up at the car boot sale this morning——- cost me a whole quid !

There is not a single mention of either Tom Gentry—- Bob Magoon —— Or Richard Branson !

There is a mention of the HAYES TROPHY for the fastest crossing of the Atlantic for a liner with paying passengers.

It makes for some thrilling reading—— the likes of Sam Cunard And Vanderbilt raising the cash and getting engineers like NAPIER to build the steam engines.

Its called the BLUE RIBAND OF THE ATLANTIC—— written by Tom Hughes, everything in there, from the gleanings of an idea, to the meltdown of the SS UNITED STATES—— the fastest and the last BLUE RIBAND RECORD holder!
    was it written before or after the aussie built ferries got the Blue Riband?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    Now this is where it gets interesting Pilgrim——- rules of the game state categorically “THE HAYES TROPHY IS FOR THE FASTEST ATLANTIC CROSSING BY A LINER WITH FARE PAYING PASSENGERS !
    So, did the Aussie ferry boat ever get the Hayes Trophy—— was the attempt ever recognised as a BLUE RIBAND contender?
    Remember Pilgrim——— I didn’t make the rules !
    Nothing pisses me off more than the losers quotation “ NOT IN THE SPIRIT OF THE GAME” !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now this is where it gets interesting Pilgrim——- rules of the game state categorically “THE HAYES TROPHY IS FOR THE FASTEST ATLANTIC CROSSING BY A LINER WITH FARE PAYING PASSENGERS !
    So, did the Aussie ferry boat ever get the Hayes Trophy—— was the attempt ever recognised as a BLUE RIBAND contender?
    Remember Pilgrim——— I didn’t make the rules !
    Nothing pisses me off more than the losers quotation “ NOT IN THE SPIRIT OF THE GAME” !
    They specifically set out with paying passengers as I remember to ensure they go it, let me look it up
    They certainly met the criteria for commercial passenger vessel
    EDIT, It seems the incat ferrys got the Hales

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another of the conditions set out in the original transcript for the Hayes trophy——- it shall be for competition between liners who have set time schedules ?
    Competition was fierce in the 20/30’s but with the advent of air travel, the owners of ocean liners threw in the towel after the Queen Mary and United States battles in the fifties!

5. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conclusions—— transatlantic crossingS, were for the big boys——- anything less might have BEEN AWARDED the Hayes trophy—— but never The fictitious BLUE RIBAND OF THE ATLANTIC title.
    Soldiered on with the roller——- hard work all round—— nothing clicked—- no continuity, be glad to get some sort of rhythm back into the project.
    Did the car boot—— same old crap—— same old place !
    Tomorrow is the big day at Cocoa Beach———- Fair portion of Brits representing the sport!

Watford and Man City was a “NO CONTEST” ——- minnows and sharks——- amateurs and pros !
    Might just take the afternoon off Sunday——- birthday celebration up country !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Conclusions—— transatlantic crossingS, were for the big boys——- anything less might have BEEN AWARDED the Hayes trophy—— but never The fictitious BLUE RIBAND OF THE ATLANTIC title.
    !

Jackie--40 years ago--little mention of the 'BLUE RIBAND'

The RECORD was the challenge

Held by the liner-SS United States---

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post

Jackie--40 years ago--little mention of the 'BLUE RIBAND'

The RECORD was the challenge

Held by the liner-SS United States---

You got it right Gene——— always was the challenge——— accolades and silverware were never the object———- Gave every single trophy I ever won away ( except the second place in the 1970 Paris six hours).
    Ever notice how nothing like the old attempts at impossible tasks and feats of dering- do simply don’t happen any more ?
    Only race of any real significance left is the “Cowes Torquay Cowes”——- and then it’s only a handful of entrants these days !
    Its probably rules and regs that killed off all the crazy stunts that used to take place——- Miami—Nassau, Miami— New York——- Bahamas 500—— Round Britain——- London Monte Carlo ?

WHERE DID THEY GO, ALL THE GOOD TIMES, THE FLOWERS AND THE WINE, THE YOUNG GIRLS WHO LOVED ME ————- THE KISSES THAT WERE MINE etc, etc, etc !

IM just glad I was born when I was——— still reckon I got more out of life than anyone I ever knew—- didn’t really feel like I was working at it———- it just kinda happened, and I went along with the flow—-rode the tsunami of life till it was tamed. Then simply stepped off and am enjoying the rest of the ride.

9. Thanks GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
    Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Pilgrim—— I missed your post—— it was published in 1973 by Charles Scribner and Son in New York!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you got it right gene——— always was the challenge———
    its probably rules and regs that killed off all the crazy stunts that used to take place——- miami—nassau, miami— new york——- bahamas 500—— round britain——- london monte carlo ?

Where did they go, all the good times, the flowers and the wine, the young girls who loved me ————- the kisses that were mine etc, etc, etc !

"​those were the days my friend--we thought they would never end"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    "​those were the days my friend--we thought they would never end"
    They haven’t really finished for me just yet Gene. My granddaughter Louse and her husband Gary Stray run the whole Geico Race Team ! My friends James Shepard and Steve Curtis are in Charge of the cockpit. My son Mark looks after the propellers, And the guy who looked after The Cosworth ( (HAWKEYE HAWKINS) keeps a watchful eye on the motors

Fact is—- they just came first in the season opener at Thunder On Cocoa Beach—— laid down the gauntlet in the first of the 2019 series of races.

Trying to get over for Key West ( where Mark has his stall and I can sell a bunch of “ Concepts” ) the old farts in Tavares, and the season closing race on the Sunday .

Thats the plan—— but her majesty has decreed someone has to travel with me at all times across the Atlantic
    Only thing that’s slowing down is me Gene——
    THE SUN COMES UP AND THE SUN GOES DOWN——- BUT THIS OLD WORLD STILL RUSHES AROUND !

13. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blasted banks are a right royal pain in the nether regions————- close all the local branches , then tell you to do “ON LINE BANKING” .
    Thats fine, except , it doesn’t work that good all the time.
    So, I call,—— some person in India or south east Asia, who speaks such piss- poor English I can’t understand a word they’re saying is on the end of the line—— “Toom eye Splicking—- allezoop londres ma Bangladesh ?” After ten minutes I throw in the towel.
    Decide to visit my nearest bank which is ten miles away——— doors locked —- hooligan for a security guard has the temerity to ask Name— Business— —— I’m tempted to tell him short back and sides, but it’s plain to see he’s completely devoid of humour !
    After waiting in line for ever, a sweet young thing asks if I need help——- I tell her no, just access to my money which I have accumulated over a lifetime ——— excuses, and being told to be patient with the new all singing and dancing digital aeroelastic banking system——- I finally lose the plot———- after fifty years with the same bank, I close the account——- no hard feelings—— after all, I’m just a number—— not a person who’s a valued customer—— just a nobody——- so I told them to piss up their kilt !
    Made me feel better anyway—— just like all banks today—— get on line—- in line and wait your turnN

Anyone else had this problem —- or is it me ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you see the election result in OZ, right wing says no global warming, left said there is, left said we will tax the rich and give to the poor
    the right won.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    did you see the election result in OZ, right wing says no global warming, left said there is, left said we will tax the rich and give to the poor
    the right won.
    “Global Warming” —— the domain of failed scientists—- Wannabees and idealistic work shy uni students who never had a lick of common sense in the first place——— but they do have PHD’s— HGV’s— and letters after their name that aren’t even in the FECKIN alphabet.
    Robin Hood had the same bloody silly idea———- Sheriff of Nottingham would have none of it——- guess who lived longer ?
    Didn't Ned Kelly have a similar sort of idea——- that poor bugger never made old bones either !
    As my sainted mother used to say ——- if you can’t afford it —- don’t buy it—— if you want a weeks wages—— work for it !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So today I changed banks after fifty years with Barclays —- I’ve switched to Santander——- yes, I know it’s a Chinkie bank——- but there is no contest——- I’m pissed of to my titties with the established English “BIG FIVE” banks.
    Fed up with being a number——- I’ve worked too hard and too long for my money—-I will not fall for any on line scam!
    Only last week I won 10,000,000 dollars from a lottery in Nigeria—— followed by a further two mill a week later—- aren’t I the lucky one—— simply deleted the email—- tossers.

Miss Geico under the iron fist of Grandson GaryStray won the Cocoa Beach Race.
    Did think Victory might make a race of it——- he had the speed —— but made a right fist of trimming the boat—— over and under without the bottle to see it through——- to be fair he did lose it on the straight which sobered him up quite quickly.
    Now its a level playing field—— preparation and experience are The mitigating factors for this series—— they all have the potential—— speed and reliability—— just leaves management and experience!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went up to see my son in law Steve———-he started to tell me about the first time Buzzi interviews him for a job !.!!!
    SO, YOU COME TO ITALY TO SEEK A NEW LIFE, YOU NO SPEAK ITALIAN, YOU BRING YOUR WIFE, YOU BRING YOUR TWO SMALL CHILDREN, YOU BRING YOUR DOG. ARE YOU STUPID OR JUST PLAIN CRAZY ?
    TELL YOU WHAT STEPHEN, I WILL EMPLOY YOUR DOG, PROVIDED YOU BRING HIM INTO WORK EVERY DAY!
    He actually started work that same day, rewiring a three phase motor on a massive spindle moulder that was wired arse backwards and was chucking the timber out instead of sucking it in.
    All the workers took to Steve for fixing the dangerous machine that nobody would use !
    Some of his design boats are still in use today 25 years on.

Told me loads of tales about Buzzi ——- the time Prince Ranier of Monaco got him to alter the deck line on his motor yacht M

But it’s way past my bedtime—— it’ll have to wait for another day.

Page 677 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 177 577 627 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 727 777 1177 ... LastLast