Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    That must be a master class tale on its own——- why do I get the feeling we just opened up a whole new adventure?
    You said a mouthful Jackie—

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, as I’m sure you all know the AGA KHAN was not exactly short of a bob or three ! Or good looking women——- (you wouldn’t kick RITAHAYWORTH out of bed until after !
    AGNELLI owns Fiat——— Fiat owns Ferrari——-Italian government owns Fiat—— AND can call on the EU for “SPECIAL PROJECTS”———EU PROBABLY has more floating loose cash than Russia——- China—— or even the USA.
    So there was never going to be a shortage of money if the Italians wanted to build a transatlantic crossing boat!
    Bit like the AMERICAS CUP————- when the USA wants something——— you can bet your sweet hippy it’ll get government backing.
    did the crossing on a tankfull, more like the Blue Riband but they didnt award it as they said it was a private yacht

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Enough, How about some piccies of the poor old VAC 1 that was a CAT that sank within sight of the finish. A catamaran would of been far more impressive an achievement.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    did the crossing on a tankfull, more like the Blue Riband but they didnt award it as they said it was a private yacht
    Morning Pilgrim!
    OK, but the tank did hold ten thousand gallons !
    I was under the impression that the only criteria for qualifying in the BLUE RIBAND was ——“ you must have at least one paying passenger”.
    But, seeing as how this is a “POSH” award——-five will get you ten it’s one of those——- YOUR FACE HAS TO FIT AWARDS ,!
    We still have a bit of that sort of thing over here——— don’t think they’d ever allow me into the hallowed halls of “THE SQUADRON”. (Facetious example of course).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techteam View Post
    Enough, How about some piccies of the poor old VAC 1 that was a CAT that sank within sight of the finish. A catamaran would of been far more impressive an achievement.
    New one on me TT——- how ‘bout that—— 87 and still learning new stuff every day——- WHAT A WONDERFUL WORLD WE LIVE IN ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Morning Pilgrim!
    OK, but the tank did hold ten thousand gallons !
    I was under the impression that the only criteria for qualifying in the BLUE RIBAND was ——“ you must have at least one paying passenger”.
    But, seeing as how this is a “POSH” award——-five will get you ten it’s one of those——- YOUR FACE HAS TO FIT AWARDS ,!
    We still have a bit of that sort of thing over here——— don’t think they’d ever allow me into the hallowed halls of “THE SQUADRON”. (Facetious example of course).
    Yes I remember reading at the time about paying passengers so they were eligible but seems not?
    The big aussie built cats received it.
    Perhaps they should have said G&T's on the outside deck every evening to qualify?
    Last edited by powerabout; 04-18-2019 at 04:42 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I remember reading at the time about paying passengers to they were eligible but seems not?
    The big aussie built cats received it.
    Perhaps they should have said G&T's on the outside deck every evening to qualify?
    You know what Pilgrim——- when you’re THAT rich——— you can make your own rules——— bit like the AGA KHAN AND SHEIKH MUHAMMAD——- they even made racehorses run faster !
    Horse produces enough semen at one jump to sire a hundred foals ——— charge $50,000 a pop and you got a nice little earner ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a gentle roll this morning—— Gene reckons There was a shedload of Naviquip on board Gentry’s Eagle !
    Well ive been up to my fetlocks in SatNavs today—— plus a bit of artists licence—— even TG would have been impressed.
    Not forgetting the Arneson ——- afraid there’s only one on this particular concept!
    show you close of play Friday just how far I’ve come—— apparently it’s Easter this weekend ——- most folk make it a Friday to Tuesday inclusive bank holiday here in the UK—— we got visitors Monday and a family barbecue Sunday——— I’ll be hard pushed to get two full days in.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0A293B11-A8D2-461B-85EE-DD92C4FB779A.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	373.1 KB 
ID:	436422Click image for larger version. 

Name:	76BF5DAC-5AF7-4AD8-B3BB-E36C93DCD986.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	394.3 KB 
ID:	436423

Had this old chunk of hardwood which was once a door sill——— made the Gentry eagle out of it.
    Radar ball is the yellow out of a snooker set.

10. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techteam View Post
    My only picture--

--and confusing for sure

This was taken right after the $500K Miami/NY Race--July, 1985----George Morales the winner--( in a a catamaran)--

Sir Richards Cougar Catamaran in the background---designed by Peter Birkett

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GENE LANHAM View Post
    My only picture--

--and confusing for sure

This was taken right after the $500K Miami/NY Race--July, 1985----George Morales the winner--( in a a catamaran)--

Sir Richards Cougar Catamaran in the background---designed by Peter Birkett

Only know what Pruett told me about the “ dodgy” side of offshore——- Morales owed Parkinson a large bag of gold——— but he was in clink at the time——- Parky said he paid him every last cent plus a bonus.
    There was an awful lot of slush money being used under the radar of OFFSHORE.
    PRUETT ran a yellow Maserati when he was with Ballesteros——- always had lots of the ready—— at home in Sarasota he was poor as as a church mouse.
    Transatlantic crossing will always be a challenge————— fine for cruise liners——- hard for even a hundred plus foot raceboat traveling around Eighty !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it is bloody Thursday innit ?
    Did the car boot—— picked up a couple of useful bits—— solid day in the shop, should get shedloads done !

Isnt it amazing the vanity of polititians—— Suddendly, in 48 hours——- there’s a “BILLION”. EUROS in the pot to rebuild NOTRE DAME , and a nondescript French President who has never done one single useful thing in his life up to now——- spouting how he can rebuild the cathedral in five years!
    What a total dingleberry——— it took 200 years to construct——— its fifty percent destroyed——- but Magic Miracle Man Macron is going to do it in five years.
    There were thousands of craftsmen in those days. 800/900 years ago——- today there’s only a handful with the ability to rebuild the NOTRE Dame.
    Cathedral was closed for over fifty years in the nineteenth century because it was deemed unfit to let people inside——- great big chunks have been falling off it ever since.
    Its been falling down for years—— French are notorious for letting historic buildings go to ruin—-
    all of a sudden they’re seen to be heritage heroes .
    There’s been riots in the streets of Paris every weekend for the past year and Macron has done nothing.
    Five will get you ten when he’s booted out of office, he’ll wind up as curator of the rebuild NOTRE Dame billion euro fund——- in a paid capacity of course.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the French just cant admit to themselves that France is broke as in the cupboard is bare.
    The EU prints money and gets negative growth, they havent written the book on that one yet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the French just cant admit to themselves that France is broke as in the cupboard is bare.
    The EU prints money and gets negative growth, they havent written the book on that one yet
    Very true Pilgrim——- but they’re bloody good at blind mans buff and “ WOULD I LIE TO YOU”
    Like all good magicians, a distraction can make way for an amazing trick.
    Wonder if they got the MONA LISA out—— or was it lost in the inferno and wound up in a private collection somewhere ? Russia - China - Korea—- Dubai. .?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9F9DBE25-4B14-45E0-BEE1-83107CBFE91B.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	272.4 KB 
ID:	436490

I have never sen this boat before Gene——- but it’s everything a concept constructor could wish for ( except the paint job —— that’s going to be a stone bitch !
    So, what can you tell me about it ?
    Says it’s a 47’ Apache——- looks to me like an offshoreboat should—— it just has to work !
    Six wateri injected exhausts——- please don’t tell me it’s got three lumps !
    im just not good enough to make legs that small and get away with it !
    It had to Be, as one of the hardwood blanks looked just like an ’ “ Apache “. after I’d finished fernagling !

Page 670 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 170 570 620 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 668 669 670 671 672 673 674 675 676 677 678 679 680 681 682 683 684 685 686 687 688 689 690 691 692 693 694 720 770 1170 ... LastLast