Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    Jackie, the one I posted is the only one I have ...... from Powerboat. You'll probably have to get out the magnifiers to see both pipes in this pic, but they are there.

Attachment 419117
    Good Job I’ve got one hell of an imagination Bill——— it’s a crap photo—— from the wrong side——- pipes are covered in spray——- in black and white—— blurred and time faded——- but apart from that!!!!!!!
    Ill do something with it ?
    Did it really run with the motor tucked in so far, or was the snapshot taken at one of those”Lets see if this works” moments!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wilson 19.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	204.8 KB 
ID:	419143

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	Wilson 18 (2).jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	419162

4. Likes shadowcat, AZMIDLYF, Mugs914 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stacks are different on this last one.
    I CAN ALWAYS MAKE ANOTHER DOLLAR, BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANOTHER DAY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob V View Post

Views:	90 
ID:	419162
    . Bob, I’d say those were MEGA’S——— two pipes taken from a stacker !
    Damned if that motor still looks well tucked in to me——— maybe that’s the way it was supposed to run!
    piccy gives me a lot clearer picture of the proportions——- I got those well wrong!
    Will have to do another one——— see if I can get it right this time!
    Will put another pipe on this one before I stitch it all back together——— it will have a bit more “Panache” this time, what with the black and red to help.
    Still think it’s a neat mount for grown ups—— not for kids!
    Anyway, it’s my last day in the shop——— crack-o-sparrow Thursday, we head off to Devon for our autumn break!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Willa, the picture you posted ? We’re the two pipes MEGA or straight !?
    Cos I have to tell you—— they look straight to me.
    I may be a tad dopey—- but the peepers are still in good shape ! Nah!- Nan- A - Nah! Nah!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	2CC1AE80-39F7-46AC-886E-D582780807CA.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	336.5 KB 
ID:	419191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB56C911-52E3-4400-AECD-C8E887B70A41.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	300.3 KB 
ID:	419192

Well. Whatdya think Willa ? ——— I know it’s still not the dogs cajones, but it does have a bit of style now———- was never meant to be anything but a “CONCEPT”
    You’ll just have to wait until I build the next one——— you never did say whether they were straight pipes or meggas——— So you got a couple of straights.

9. Likes Mugs914 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Views:	80 
ID:	419199

Jackie - As I remember, during the actual record setting attempt, the engine had two straight pipes. However, Willabee is the one that knows best. In the picture, the engine has two of the standard megaphone style stacker pipes on it. Perhaps the original record setting engine was removed and what is there is just a mock-up. Believe it or not, I found this picture on The Duck Hunter's Refuge website and it was posted by 1995 US1. He also posted some commentary which I did not originally post, but think now that I should. Here it is:

Courtesy of 1995 US1:

"I shot this pic a few years ago visiting with the guy that built and tweaked my race props. This was his dads' boat. His father built the boat, built the motor, built the propeller to set the World Speed Record at that time. Now, imagine kneeling in the front of this thing at that speed, no belts, no seat, on your knees, butt up and head down. His father died about 20 years ago working on the Mercury F1 testing program. Stuffed a boat and was killed instantly, what a man. I am close friends with all of Jims' boys, we hunt and fish together every chance we get. I'm not sure even they know of their dads' impact on the outboard racing world. It still sits exactly as in the photo. It is in the "attic" at Merten Marine in Oshkosh, Wi. The boys do not touch it, they only show it to very close friends. It is a bit like a shrine to their father, it was "his" piece. I feel blessed to have been allowed to see it, touch it, feel it. I wanted to pull the cowling off that thing in the worst way and see what magic Jim Sr. did with that engine back in 73. That guy was one of the founders of Mercury Hi Perf....... His sons are not slouches when it comes to boat racing either. Jim Jr. is the best prop man in the country. He was my secret weapon during my racing career. His knowledge of racing props made up for my lack of driving ability."

11. Thanks Mugs914 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two piper .....

Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post

Name:	2CC1AE80-39F7-46AC-886E-D582780807CA.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	336.5 KB 
ID:	419191Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB56C911-52E3-4400-AECD-C8E887B70A41.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	300.3 KB 
ID:	419192

Well. Whatdya think Willa ? ——— ——— you never did say whether they were straight pipes or meggas——— So you got a couple of straights.
    Didn't know you were in a hurry. Ya got to give a guy a chance to sleep before he responds!

It set the record running two straight pipes. They were parallel to each other, about half the length of yours with more separation at the elbows. It did run 'tucked' as the photo shows.

When the boat was made ready for display, there was no powerhead, just an empty block and cowling. I think Mike Butler hung the stacker pipes on it so he could put it on display during an aircraft show. At the time, Mike was storing it in his hangar.

The boat is a Ron Jones hydro. It was an older boat that had been returned from competition and put in dry storage at Mercury Racing.Mert had some changes made on the transom, the work was done by Carl Stippich and Jack Ferris. The powerhead used to set the record was one of two built at Plant 6 by Dick Lanphere's group. A TII with special porting and pistons. The exhaust systems, both single pipe and twin pipe, originally came from Ted Morgan's work on the early C6. I kept them at Racing and put them on a powerhead we built at Racing for this attempt. Our powerhead fell a little short of the speed Mercury wanted to attain, so Lanphere's guys borrowed them and tried them on their powerhead. Most of the PR pictures were taken when Mert was testing the powerhead from Racing and the single pipe exhaust. I doubt Merc's PR guys even knew the powerhead and pipe change had been made, that's why almost all the announcements you see about setting the record show the single pipe exhaust system. I'm not positive, but I think Bob Hetzel was brought in to do the prop work.

13. Thanks Bob V, Mugs914 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie...If you have time (ie find the time!) to motor the "big L" back a couple of miles back from Salcombe to Slapton Sands....Bring your camera and take some snaps.... read the information boards....I won't give the game away because I'm sure you will give it some script when you are back.

If it doesn't bring a tear to your eye you have no soul...................

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That was a lovely message Bob—- thanks!
    Have to tell you though, my son Mark spent ten years apprenticeship at ROLLA PROPELLORS LUGANO SWITZERLAND. ——- Did props for Billy Mike and Timmy——— Does mainly the bigger wheels now for very expensive boats, reckons it pays better !! So as only a proud father can——- I tell you he’s among the top five prop men in the world.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Willa—— pipes can be straightened a tad——- just a simple three mill nut and bolt, but I would have to make a new surround if you want the pipes spaced a little more. Would be easier to make a couple of new pipes than cut those down.
    Anyway—— like I said——- it’s only a FECKIN Concept—— I don’t do scale models, mainly because I don’t know how.
    Every school I ever attended always gave me the same end of term report——- “COULD DO BETTER”—— MUST TRY HARDER———— that’s why I do concepts, nobody gives a flying fart!
    Now I’ve got the general idea——the next one will be fit to show Merts kids.
    I have enough information to cobble something together that will fit the bill.
    Shops all closed down—— left it like the bottom of a baby’s pram—- couldn’t be arsed to clean it up——— I’m slap dad bang in the middle of a couple of projects that have been put on hold for four days!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Willa—— pipes can be straightened a tad——- just a simple three mill nut and bolt, but I would have to make a new surround if you want the pipes spaced a little more. Would be easier to make a couple of new pipes than cut those down.
    Anyway—— like I said——- it’s only a FECKIN Concept—— I don’t do scale models, mainly because I don’t know how.

Now I’ve got the general idea——the next one will be fit to show Merts kids.
    I have enough information to cobble something together that will fit the bill.
    Shops all closed down—— left it like the bottom of a baby’s pram—- couldn’t be arsed to clean it up——— I’m slap dad bang in the middle of a couple of projects that have been put on hold for four days!
    I only mentioned those 'other' facts about the pipes so that I didn't give you another opportunity to jump on my case for not saying something soon enough. You're one hundred percent correct, it's a concept, so who would care if the pipes were forty-seven feet longer than the boat and one of them is obviously about to fail ?

Ok, enough of that ..... your 'concept' looks pretty damn good to me. I know enough about Mert's sons to say that they will be pleased by the thought itself. Time for you and yours to go and enjoy the next four days.

PS: I've enjoyed a couple of rum & cokes at Judy's Gin Mill tonight. Consequently I respectively reserve the right to edit or delete this post when I wake up tomorrow afternoon.

18. Likes AZMIDLYF, Mugs914 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Willa, do you keep seeing the snap with Stickle, Mert, Morgan Cubes and La Morte sitting on the stools around the bar at Judy’s Gin Mill ( at least, I think it’s Judys). Every so often it pops up.
    I remember sitting in that same spot with Garbrecht- Pruett, You, Cubes, Biers, -Bill Allen, Mert and a couple of others, we pulled licences to see who was the oldest——— I pretended I couldn’t find mine———- I knew damn well which of us would be senior!
    From memory, there was some “Raunchy” happenings at Judy’s—— Leo B. Was a bit gobsmacked——— he took me there a few times after that—— ( just to be sure).
    Nice to know, it’s still up and running after all these years—- and you still favour RUM AND COKE.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    P.S. there is no way one of the pipes could possibly fall off—— each one is tapped and threaded, with a three mill bolt at the centre, and a s/s nut inside the wrap around. N.n.n.n.n.?

Page 591 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 91 491 541 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 641 691 1091 ... LastLast