Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    Jackie. I just returned from the Marine Stadium. When I left the score was Dolphins 2, P1 0. By 3:30 they had made 2 attempts to get started ,both aborted by dolphin sightings. They have a Robinson helicopter flying over the site and if they see any "marine mammals", anything with a propeller is shut down. Feel bad for the organizers. Met some of the Wilson clan. Very nice folks. I like the way your grandson has those boats rigged. Would have liked to see them actually get on plane.
    Oh well, Somedays you eat bear!!!——— that’s a bit of a bummer——- still, if it hadn’t been Dolphins or Manatees——— it would have been Serra taking a dip and being mistaken for a turtle .
    World has gone “Conservation” mad———— it’s not considered PC to hold a race with a “Mammal” in the same pond, or to fart (no matter how quietly) when there are ladies in the room.
    Thereby lies a problem———— with no race——- no show——- no revenue——— promoters are not going to rush back for a repeat performance without profits.
    So glad you got to meet some of the family. Craig has done well to get eight of the existing P1/s re- hulled and rigged in time for the event! He worked with Gary Stray, Rigger at Cougar, then Crew chief at GIECO for years before starting off on his own with “WILSON COMPOSITES “ .
    Mark is one of only a handful of prop “Experts” in the world today——— he had a ten year apprenticeship with Phil Rolla in Lugano Switzerland, before moving to the USA when TWINDISC ( Arneson )bought out ROLLA PROPELLORS some twenty years ago. After over forty years in the prop business———- I think he can be considered an “Expert”.
    Sorry you didn’t get to see the boats run——— maybe today——— or is it a case of “tough titty” .?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jilly brought “Indy” home yesterday afternoon——— made herself at home immediately——- chased Murphy clear out out of the garden———- she bib that think much of that and it was six hours before she came Don off’n the roof!
    Lizzie does not like dogs of any description——— she got bitten by the family Lab when she was very small—— so it’ll be a while before they get to be bosom buddies.
    My disc and belt sander packed up yesterday——— it’s been a noisy bastard since the day I bought it.
    One of the sealed bearings either end of the shaft had broken up, must have been faulty from the word go. Gave me a chance to clean all the dust out of it, silicone the running surface on the belt, oil the rollers, tighten the drive belt and give the damn think a birthday..
    Got a couple of ideas festering in the background, but nothing that lights my candle enough to warrant a modicule of activity.
    I finally donned a pair of shorts——- discarded the last Two cashmere sweaters and I’m now sporting a sleeveless T shirt. Adventures not dead yet ———- not proud of the white pins, but I’ve got high hopes. Get Back to you later.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Voted The #1 Fragrance By Old Farts Forever

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Merc Stacker.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	405335

4. Likes AZMIDLYF, powerabout, GENE LANHAM, rckid74 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I learned a lot of stuff in my years of boat racing but propellers wasn't one of those things. When I found a good one I hung on to it until I either broke it or found a better one.
    The Marine Stadium has been reconfigured as a marina and is now physically unsuited to host any kind of serious boat racing. The "pit" area is now all seawall and there is a very small launching ramp. No way an event with a significant number of boats could be run there.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Oh well, Somedays you eat bear!!!——— that’s a bit of a bummer——- still, if it hadn’t been Dolphins or Manatees——— it would have been Serra taking a dip and being mistaken for a turtle .
    World has gone “Conservation” mad———— it’s not considered PC to hold a race with a “Mammal” in the same pond, or to fart (no matter how quietly) when there are ladies in the room.
    Thereby lies a problem———— with no race——- no show——- no revenue——— promoters are not going to rush back for a repeat performance without profits.
    So glad you got to meet some of the family. Craig has done well to get eight of the existing P1/s re- hulled and rigged in time for the event! He worked with Gary Stray, Rigger at Cougar, then Crew chief at GIECO for years before starting off on his own with “WILSON COMPOSITES “ .
    Mark is one of only a handful of prop “Experts” in the world today——— he had a ten year apprenticeship with Phil Rolla in Lugano Switzerland, before moving to the USA when TWINDISC ( Arneson )bought out ROLLA PROPELLORS some twenty years ago. After over forty years in the prop business———- I think he can be considered an “Expert”.
    Sorry you didn’t get to see the boats run——— maybe today——— or is it a case of “tough titty” .?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2us70 View Post
    I learned a lot of stuff in my years of boat racing but propellers wasn't one of those things. When I found a good one I hung on to it until I either broke it or found a better one.
    The Marine Stadium has been reconfigured as a marina and is now physically unsuited to host any kind of serious boat racing. The "pit" area is now all seawall and there is a very small launching ramp. No way an event with a significant number of boats could be run there.
    So after all the hype and the odd few million dollars spent here and there——— bottom line is ITS A MARINA !———— and you can’t hold a decent boatrace there!
    Dont know if the dolphins allowed the race boys to have their bit of fun today——— my lot are all INCOMUNICADO, so I have no idea of what’s going on today.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rained some this morning up here at my house. Radar looks good down there now. If the critters cooperate maybe they can get in some racing.
    That picture of the Mercury Team all lined up on the beach in the Stadium pit could not be taken today. 3or4 at the most is all that will fit on the present ramp.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that they should change the name to Miami Marina Stadium. I wonder if these power boats have to shut down if there is a dolphin or manatee in the area....I think we all know the answer to that.....

Name:	ms1.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	405370

Name:	ms5.png 
Views:	87 
Size:	638.2 KB 
ID:	405374

Name:	ms2.png 
Views:	82 
Size:	1,002.3 KB 
ID:	405375

Name:	ms3.png 
Views:	83 
Size:	742.1 KB 
ID:	405376

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well Bob——— it’s ten o’clock at night and my bed time———— five o’clock in Miami and I still heard nothing!
    Im Taking it there was no racing again at the Stadium. It does not bode well for future events that require propulsion of more than five miles a fortnight.
    Somebody lost a shed load of money this weekend———- what do you say to a paying spectator? Sorry ‘bout that, but the dolphins came out to play, you can’t have boats and dolphins out together !
    Don't suppose there’s any refunds for a no show !
    Guess all my family turned off their phones for the weekend——- either that, or their spitting feathers and won’t talk. Best if I let sleeping dogs lie and let them call me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would appear the P1/s did get a race in after all————- well jolly hockey sticks——— Jesus wept, you have to be some sort of crazy enthusiast to think it was an ok weekend for boat racers.
    See that there were two fatalities and a critical out on lake Havasu——— Tunnel boat got into trouble, don’t know the details, just the result.
    Indy seems to be settling in ok——- no problems to date except Murphy is not best pleased with having an intruder around——— she takes off at first light and only comes back as the lights fading!
    Got stuck into the belt sander———- didn’t have the correct size bearing, only a larger diameter one, so I’ve machined up a new end plate ———- should get it back into service later in the day.
    Shorts or strides ? Weather set to be “fair” —— some sun, some wind, sixty five———- damn weather don’t know whether it wants a crap or a haircut.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Who'd a ever thought modern pleasure boats would be consitantly killing more people than modern race boats?
    people think pit bulls are dangerous and its actually cats
    (was that bad taste?)
    Last edited by powerabout; 04-23-2018 at 01:43 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have the odd million dollars or three Pilgrim, ————-you can toddle off down to your local marine dealer and walk out with a 2.000 hp engined fifty footer, give it to your 10 year kid and send him out on the water——— same thing here in England.
    Another of those instances where “COMMON SENSE” no longer comes into the equation.
    Yes!!! ——— exceedingly bad taste Pilgrim——— factful———- But bad taste!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My impressions of the Marine Stadium were as follows. 1 The grandstand requires a lot of work. The graffiti might be art to some but to me it looks like gangland. 2 Structurally some repairs are probably needed. 3 when all is said and done you wind up with a concert venue next door to a dry storage marina.
    I put my name on the petition to restore the facility but it is futile. South Florida has plenty of good places for concerts and such events that are much more accessible than the Stadium.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder what the consensus of opinion will turn out to be————-most folk seemed to think that bringing some life back to the derelict stadium was a good idea.
    Apparently it’s not what was envisaged———- end result will never be what the old stadium was!
    Anybody out there got a positive maybe view ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sadly, it will never be what it once was. When it was opened in 1963, it was an architectural masterpiece. There was plenty of parking with sheltered stadium seating. As the years rolled by, the City of Miami considered it a money pit so they stopped funding it and abandoned it. Now, like the boat racing that we all grew up with and loved, it is fading into the sunset. The stadium sits on a prime piece of real estate. I think that the City will say that the stadium has deteriorated and is no longer safe. That will open the door for them to sell the property to a developer who will build condos.

Name:	ms7.png 
Views:	91 
Size:	2.74 MB 
ID:	405554

Name:	ms8.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	264.6 KB 
ID:	405555

16. Likes shadowcat, GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is the best picture of the Stadium I have ever seen.

18. Thanks Bob V thanked for this post
Page 518 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 18 418 468 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 568 618 1018 ... LastLast