Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    AUTO TECH
    5 hours ago

Mazda exec details plans for rotary range-extended EV coming in 2019

By Viknesh Vijayenthiran | Motor Authority

(Mazda)

Tesla gets a lot of flak for its delays in promised technology, but the electric car company looks like a straight-A student next to Mazda which has been has been talking about reviving the rotary engine going back to the demise of the RX-8 sports car in 2012.
    Mazda says it is committed to the rotary, though the automaker has flip-flopped over whether the engine will be used to power a sports car or simply serve as a range-extender for an electric car. We've seen concepts for both, and just last year a Mazda executive said the company may end up going with both options.

A Message from Southeast Toyota
    Time to take on the day.

See More

Now Mazda's sales chief in Europe, Martijn ten Brink, has revealed to Dutch group AutoRAI that Mazda's electric car launching in 2019 will be available with a rotary range-extender. The exec said the electric car will be based on the same underpinnings as the next-generation Mazda 3, and hinted that a crossover body style would make sense.

We also have a few details on the rotary range-extender itself from ten Brink's interview. He said it would be a single-rotor engine without a turbocharger. He also said the compact design should take up no more space than two shoe boxes, and because of the smoothness of the rotary engine, drivers of Mazda's electric car may not even notice when the engine is operating.

(Mazda)

Mazda has already shown an electric car with a rotary range-extender: the Mazda 2 RE Range Extender concept unveiled in 2013. Its rotary was a single-rotor 0.33-liter unit that with a full tank of gasoline could provide an additional 111 miles of range. Based on ten Brink's comments, it's likely a similar setup will feature in Mazda's electric car due next year.
    Unfortunately, ten Brink didn't have anything to say on a rotary-powered sports car from Mazda. The Japanese firm has struggled with meeting emissions regulations with high-performance applications of its rotary engine. The company has also described building the business case for a sports car as another issue. Those are two major factors standing in the way of a new rotary-powered sports car.

Johnno——- this motor has been kicked around from arsehole to breakfast time ror 100 years or more——— by some of the most prestigious names in automotive history, so it was never suddenly just going to disappear. Too many brilliant engineers expected so much out of the damned thing———- in spite of everything——- somebody——- somewhere———- sometime, just might make the damn thing work
    Me myself Johnno always thought it had a flaw————- find it, and you’ve won !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had better days in my life——- as my friend Chas used to say—— Some day’s you eat bear. Today was not one of those days. But, if you want to continue life’s journey past where your presently at, you have to live with them now and again.
    This well used frame and the mechanism that guides it , is pretty well shot for today——- so I bid you all goodnight and we’ll talk tomorrow MYGGWY.J.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did not have a good night——— the Old think box has gone into overtdrive and I can neither get my foot ofn the pedal or knock it out of gear.
    Current project is an NGK PROJECT. ———— got to thinking when I was a lad and father had an Austin 8 van———- he had the plugs out most week ends, two I remember most were LODGE and CHAMPION. ———- in my mind I had the idea that Lodge was an English make, whilst Champion was American but made in England———- bit like the Ford motor car. NGK was not something I had ever heard of.so I looked them up on the dot-dot.
    Turns out they employ Over 10,000 in Japan and Have subsidiary’s in most countries, products are mainly “Ceramics” ( space stuff)——— but from 2017 production has concentrated mainly on battery production for the electric vehicle production?
    Currently sponsor just about every team in F1— Indy—— And damn near every motorised sport in the USA including powerboating.
    Remind you of anything? Trojan Horse, How long have we been asleep . Just asking.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wonder how many of the old farts remember Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Mae West——— as far back as I can remember they all lived together in a little place up on the hill called HOLLYWOOD——— course, we never took much notice of them———- they made films, got on with their bits of “ HANKY PANKY” and it didn’t really bother us did it ?———— strange thing is , here we are 100 years on and it’s now called SONYWOOD , Funny, I never noticed that happening—— did you. Last time I looked it was MGM, RKO, UNIVERSAL———— uh, uh, wrong, not any more. Just a front name for SONY,

Its that wooden horse trick all over again.
    Remind me again of exactly who won what——-!,y’know — That 1939/45. Thing ?

5. Likes OLEGATOR liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Duke of Wellington once said "Next to a battle lost, the greatest misery is a battle gained"

Now, because I'm a bit thick it did take a while for me to figure that one out, but now it is obvious... what a perceptive feller he was.

7. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ron54 View Post
    The Duke of Wellington once said "Next to a battle lost, the greatest misery is a battle gained"

Now, because I'm a bit thick it did take a while for me to figure that one out, but now it is obvious... what a perceptive feller he was.
    Not a lot of Dukes had a pair of boots named after them either Phill, Je. Concur!——

9. Likes GENE LANHAM liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been watching the MOVIE CHANNEL——- sponsored by HONDA ???? Insidious or what !!!
    Caled in at the Re-cycling depot this morning———- five huge slabsided trucks loaded with One metre square, compressed vehicles———-you will never guess where their all bound ? Southampton docks——— then Singapore——— why are the hairs on the back of my neck standing up?
    John at the scrapyard tells me he gets more money per load from the Far East than he does from the UK!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need a good stiff drink.....maybe some sake

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do not wish that one on me Stavros———- last time I got sh-tfaced on SAKE was in Hamamatsu. Was told it was was watered down, warm, and could do you nothing but good——— sad part is, I believed them
    Woke up with a pair of Geisha ladies in full costume and a well pissed off Sumo wrestler dressed as a Samaria warrior brandishing the meanest longest curved razor I ever saw.
    You know what it’s like Steve when your in a strange country ——— long way from home, chatting up a couple ladies when the old man comes home unexpectedly———— with no back up plan——- I simply did what every other normal person would have done.
    Got the hell out of there faster than the speeding bullet!
    I’ll pass on the sake thank you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK my friend. I just toasted you with a good American beer. Iris says Hi.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was living in the UK and co-owned a training college, we used to send ( smart ones) students down to a Japanese market research place.
    The Jap gov had a large building on the Thames, paid students 20 quid an hour to do work, which was good money for a student.
    They had this system running for years, they just learn how your country works and obviously pass this data to their industries.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But we are “short term” people, if you can get a pound for it today why wait a week and get two pounds? America’s the same———— they think they’re being smart getting rid of all the old scrap iron and steel to the Far East at an inflated price———- one day you wake up and there’s no more scrap steel to be had at any price. In the land of plenty only a fool wastes time thinking of shortage.
    Weve been had Pilgrim ! Trojan horse was dumped and left for so long we never took any notice, we were happy in our own “Middin” and what came out of the horse didn’t bother us none——— take a look at Detroit———- is that a self inflicted wound ???
    Dagenham and Coventry———— all the names are gone——— Alvis——-Allard ——Austin Morris ———— Lanchester———. Lagonda——Sunbeam and dozens more fell by the wayside.
    Rolls Royce, owned by Germany now———— Jaguar and Range Rover India owns those——— MG.? Try China. Bentley ———- Germany again and FECKIN VDUB to add insult to injury.
    Final humiliation was Cosworth——- guess where she landed—— just can’t bring myself to tell you!

At least the Japs and the Far easterners Brought their own brands——— guess the Chinese will be the next invasion.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off up to Binstead for Sunday lunch——we got a great pub there, THE BLACK HORSE—-serves everything just about right. Bit pricey, but I’ve been on a fast for the full forty days and more ——- time to push the boat out!
    Couple of tales to tell later—— the trip to The Marine Stadium to see the Cosworth KT run and some other stuff!
    12,45—— I can almost taste that fillet steak with fried onions!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Off up to Binstead for Sunday lunch——we got a great pub there, THE BLACK HORSE—-serves everything just about right. Bit pricey, but I’ve been on a fast for the full forty days and more ——- time to push the boat out!
    Couple of tales to tell later—— the trip to The Marine Stadium to see the Cosworth KT run and some other stuff!
    12,45—— I can almost taste that fillet steak with fried onions!!!!!
    Keith and I talked most days of the week, he told me that Bill Petty was putting a rig together——- very similar to mine. Was going to run it next weekend in miami, at the. Marine stadium, thought it might be a good idea to go take a peek at how it might run.
    I have never seen as many KT boats at any one time ———- my services were not required——— Petty had Bentz drive the boat.
    Mr. Rickey had his girl friend DEE there, ——— a very well endowed young blonde lady——- she was driving his boat “BIG DEE” —— a pickle Jones with a Keith Black motor ( I think, Willabee could tell you for sure).
    Bentz was under orders to hold back until the last lap and then cut loose———- but Bentz being Bentz just couldn’t resist having a thoroughbred under him——- by the third lap, he had succeeded in lapping the whole field ——— thereby destroying in one foul stroke the KT Class as it was at that time ?
    After the race we all went back to the motel and jumped into the pool to cool down, hounded by a totally out of control little raccoon in the form of Mr. Rickey———- I don’t think I ever saw any human being all so fired up and spitting feathers———- he was just busting a gut——— swam from one side of the pool to the other to try and get out of his way. Told Keith he’d make damn sure all his engines would be barred until eternity and Vapor Trail would never publish a word about Cosworth motors.
    Keith said , let’s get out of here, I have to meet Roger Penske and A,J, Foyt at Rocky Aoki’ Place in half an hour. Pruett Had already left to go to an offshore party that Was being held at his house.
    We took a taxi to the house where you could not move———— people, music , food, Benihana everywhere———— Benihana boats on the docks ———- Benihana trucks on the driveway———- Benihana restaurants all over the place———- I did get to meet A.J.Foyt and Roger Penske And a whole bunch of car drivers.
    I got to meet most of the Offshore racing drivers of the day, the Kramer’s, Joey Halpern, a few of the real hard men in offshore, Had met quite a few via Billy Don.
    Was surprised to realise that most of those people were “normal” —- just like you and me, they were not supermen——— just super people.
    One of the most memorable nights of my life——— sun was coming up when I checked back into the motel. Joan and Pruett, Keith and Jill were long gone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to interrupt the tales to tell, but how was the lunch at The Black Horse? For a guy that is coming off a starvation diet, I was wondering what you indulged in?

Page 497 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 397 447 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 547 597 997 ... LastLast