Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie..you forgot to tell us they all use Mercury V8 power or stern drives..!!..
    Last edited by lars strom; 11-16-2017 at 10:03 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lars strom View Post
    Jackie..you forgot to tell us they all use Mercury V8 power or stern drives..!!..
    No need to bother Lassie, everyone knows that.
    In fact I can’t think of ANY other manufacturer who has the balls to produce RACE MOTORS production line style, year after year.
    Ilmor are the exceptions to that statement———- do not want “Hawkeye” jumping down my throat!
    If memory serves me right, last time Volvo had an inboard engine running competitively was with JIM WYNNE ( another ex Mercury employee ) way back in the annals of power boat racing history, even before Charlie Strang ( yet another ex Mercury employee) left to prop up OMC, Oh yes, in case one of us should forget————- there was a certain Gary Garbrecht——— him who started the rumour that OMC were the ENEMY. I always liked and loved the guys at OMC, So it wasn’t me !
    Did Evinrude EVER race an inboard (successfully) ? Course, my memory is not what it was!
    I suppose when you’re pushing for around 2,000 hp per motor, shi-t happens—-—- you know what the Americans say Lassie————- you cant make an omelette without breaking a few eggs..
    Enough of all this Lassie———— tell you what———- lets call a truce——— I’m coming up 86 in a couple of months and most of the arguing has been knocked out of me. I just want to live the quiet life and be friends with everyone.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie...Lasse or anyone.....We know that it is possible with alterations to run a boat with a car engine..

Would it be possible to do the opposite?

If it's a silly question....Don't bother shouting back at me.. I've bin asking them for too long and I am immune............

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    No need to bother Lassie, everyone knows that.
    In fact I can’t think of ANY other manufacturer who has the balls to produce RACE MOTORS production line style, year after year.
    Ilmor are the exceptions to that statement———- do not want “Hawkeye” jumping down my throat!
    If memory serves me right, last time Volvo had an inboard engine running competitively was with JIM WYNNE ( another ex Mercury employee ) way back in the annals of power boat racing history, even before Charlie Strang ( yet another ex Mercury employee) left to prop up OMC, Oh yes, in case one of us should forget————- there was a certain Gary Garbrecht——— him who started the rumour that OMC were the ENEMY. I always liked and loved the guys at OMC, So it wasn’t me !
    Did Evinrude EVER race an inboard (successfully) ? Course, my memory is not what it was!
    I suppose when you’re pushing for around 2,000 hp per motor, shi-t happens—-—- you know what the Americans say Lassie————- you cant make an omelette without breaking a few eggs..
    Enough of all this Lassie———— tell you what———- lets call a truce——— I’m coming up 86 in a couple of months and most of the arguing has been knocked out of me. I just want to live the quiet life and be friends with everyone.
    I respect your age very much Jackie, but you where pretty hard at OMC for selling F1-V8 pure race engines to (in your opinion) unqualified racers a few week ago on my thread.
    Here is a link to the page..http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...12#post2991512

OMC only sold the F1-V8 to racers with racing experience.
    Anyone today (35 years later) can buy a 1350 Mercury V8 or even more horse power with no racing experience. I guess its OK because Mercury is doing so..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails f1-v8 - Copy.JPG  
    Last edited by lars strom; 11-16-2017 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ron54 View Post
    Jackie...Lasse or anyone.....We know that it is possible with alterations to run a boat with a car engine..

Would it be possible to do the opposite?

If it's a silly question....Don't bother shouting back at me.. I've bin asking them for too long and I am immune............

Ron it has been done several, times here are a couple of videos https://jalopnik.com/the-mercury-out...car-1159424979,
    http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...ke-v8-startup/ I also saw a go cart back in the 70's that had a 4 cylinder merc used for drag racing. Not a silly question at all.

6. Thanks ron54 thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lars strom View Post
    I respect your age very much Jackie, but you where pretty hard at OMC for selling F1-V8 pure race engines to (in your opinion) unqualified racers a few week ago on my thread.
    Here is a link to the page..http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...12#post2991512

OMC only sold the F1-V8 to racers with racing experience.
    Anyone today (35 years later) can buy a 1350 Mercury V8 or even more horse power with no racing experience. I guess its OK because Mercury is doing so..

Im still of that opinion Lassie————— Bill Marshall was a classic example of this. When OMC ran out of capable qualified drivers, they went to the lower classes. Like I said before———they just wanted bums in seats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No Lassie——it does not matter a tinkers cuss who is selling killer motors to inexperienced drivers——— it’s wrong, be it Mercury, OMC or Uncle Tom Cobly if you don’t know who that is, look it up on the dot,dot———- probably listed as a “Seagull “distributor.
    Im tired and I want to go to bed———- I’m done arguing for today!
    Never made the shop this afternoon———- body was aching something rotten———- maybe I caught the flue, so tomorrow’s not looking too good either.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im tired and I want to go to bed———- I’m done arguing for today!
    Never made the shop this afternoon———- body was aching something rotten———- maybe I caught the flue, so tomorrow’s not looking too good either.
    Jackie - I only ask ONE Thing of you...and that is that you take care of yourself.
    You are the cranky old fart that everyone loves to have in their family, and I mean that as a compliment.
    --- Seeroy

10. Thanks shadowcat thanked for this post
    Likes shadowcat liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Im still of that opinion Lassie————— Bill Marshall was a classic example of this. When OMC ran out of capable qualified drivers, they went to the lower classes. Like I said before———they just wanted bums in seats
    Here you go again..trashing a good friend and race driver..I just did a history on Bill Marshall here..click the link for more info..
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...69#post3001769

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    Jackie - I only ask ONE Thing of you...and that is that you take care of yourself.
    You are the cranky old fart that everyone loves to have in their family, and I mean that as a compliment.
    --- Seeroy
    Wait a minute Seeroy; I was the one that gave Jackie that name :cranky old fart" when he got into it with Ken Finley over the rotary engine. However, you can use it any time you like in describing our mutual friend.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=lars strom;3001770]Here you go again..trashing a good friend and race driver..I just did a history on Bill Marshall here..click the link for more info..
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...69#post3001769[/QUOTE

Lassie. I rest my case, Bill was a well liked club racer in the lower classes——- i was not “Trashing” him in any shape or form—. unlike you, I don’t have to Quote —“-did a history on Bill Marshall,Unquote—- I knew already——— merely pointing out the fact that OMC scraped the bottom of the barrel when they ran out of drivers who were qualified to drive———— they didn’t give a flying fart who sat in the seat as long as they made the line up.
    My kids grew up with all the Bullen kids, have been friends all their lives, and still are, just because I said Andy never should have been in a V8 F1 doesn’t mean I was “Trashing” him.
    Same thing with Bill Marshall, he was a LMBRC club driver in the lower classes, just because OMC decided he “met the requirements “ did not make it right!
    What was requirement ? Alive and breathing, coulLd point a boat away from the dock, maybe you should print out the requirements to become a V 8 OMC jockey !
    Lassie———-you ARE an OMC “Ambassador” —— you look at the company through rose tinted specs, biased to a point of near hysteria should anyone dare to disagree. So forgive me for not agreeing with all your “FACTS”.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    Wait a minute Seeroy; I was the one that gave Jackie that name :cranky old fart" when he got into it with Ken Finley over the rotary engine. However, you can use it any time you like in describing our mutual friend.
    You know what Johnno, I couldn’t have told you WHO was the first to call me “A cranky old fart” feel quite honoured that my friends are fighting with each other to claim the first !
    Remember it well, LIQUID NIRVANA ( never knew his name was Ken Finley) copping the hump and just “losing it”, throwing all his dollies outa the pram and threatening when fire and destruction would rain down on me from a dizzy height ———plus a good thumping should we ever meet———- all because I asked if anyone was making a “Wankel that worked” ?
    Guess some guys over forty lose their sense of humour.
    Was Willabee who first thought I was a cranky old curmudgeon———-felt quite honoured——— just like I did when the Highway Patrol Officer gave me my first CITATION.
    If i can drag myself out of the arm chair and into the shop for a while, I’ll put your tunnel into the box that the single malt came in and post it. Maybe I’ll get a second bottle.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CBF278EA-0136-4A1D-8094-CF7193F81E00.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	269.2 KB 
ID:	392350Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4A035DC7-49A7-4665-9C9F-C5B649E06EDE.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	217.4 KB 
ID:	392351

This is what it looks like now, just polished mahogany.
    First I have to get out there.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8CFEA2D3-2226-401F-9957-734EF3C4667D.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	392353

Now theres a guy with a sense sense of Humour!
    wasn't Father Christmas a Swede ? Kris Kringle or Kristophensen something along those lines, long time since he filled my stocking. Bugger always managed the chocolate buscuit and glass of milk.
    He once left me a note———-“please leave me a chocolate liquor and a glass of single malt next year” —- next year (1936) i left him a glass of water and a note———-Sex and Travel————- that was the last time my Christmas stocking got filled.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seeroy View Post
    --- Seeroy
    Thanks Stavros, means a lot to have friends you can rely on, that are always there when needed, that step up to the plate without being asked ——- they somehow seem to sense it when you need a “CHUCK UP” . You know what Steve, you’re one of the few folk I haven’t fallen out with. You remember when we first mooted the idea of the old farts getting together, regardless of creed,colour or capability.
    in those days it was Just Jim, you me and Caddy !
    Dont take any notice of my moans and groans ———- I think the sHot up the arse is wearing off———to be honest, I was hoping it would hold off all invaders until the end of this month, when this course of medicine is completed———but even the pills and potions are struggling.
    Did you get down to Charley’s place for the off meet?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to ask you This Johnno————next time you send me a bottle of single malt————could you make it the gallon size.
    The boat I made for you was too long, or the box was too short———-had to cut one end open and cobble the box to fit the boat .Seemed a shame to shorten the boat, one of those situations where “SH-T HAPPENS”.

Page 448 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 348 398 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 432 433 434 435 436 437 438 439 440 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 498 548 948 ... LastLast