User Tag List

Page 3 of 1251 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 53 103 503 1003 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=jackiewilson;2603190]Hey Don, I know my limitations and instrument making far exceeds them.
    Dont have a band saw that cuts a quarter inch or a throat depth of twenty inches.
    i would want to do a Stradivarius quality type body, and I believe he did his fiddles in one piece.
    I'll look into it.
    Jackie, a solid onepiece ash with a fender Stratocaster style tapered body[I find them most comfortable,don't dig in your ribs] the body horns Wilson winning style!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=donmac;2603328]
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Hey Don, I know my limitations and instrument making far exceeds them.
    Dont have a band saw that cuts a quarter inch or a throat depth of twenty inches.
    i would want to do a Stradivarius quality type body, and I believe he did his fiddles in one piece.
    I'll look into it.
    Jackie, a solid onepiece ash with a fender Stratocaster style tapered body[I find them most comfortable,don't dig in your ribs] the body horns Wilson winning style!
    i

Donmac, first where the hell are you?, Severn bridge is last stop before jenkinsland (welsh wales), unless you know of a different one.
    I have some 2" Ash x 20" wide x 7' long, all of it over thirty years old.
    Making a Donmac Tapered Stratocaster is a whole new ball game.
    Looking on the bright side, I love a challenge and never been beat yet, but I set my sights and ambitions lower a while back so your super duper Stratolooper may not live up to expectations -------aka quality of sound wise. J.
    Some more stuff in the shop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	408.7 KB 
ID:	293273Some stuff from a couple years back, her who shall be obeyed hates this one, she reckons I should bin itClick image for larger version. 

Views:	71 
Size:	397.6 KB 
ID:	293274

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    some of that figured wood is beautiful! a strat body is less than 2"thick about 1.80paint finished which I don't want! 13" wide 19'' long![these may change with your touch] ash or alder is good!prettier is best! Clapton might want one too! I'm in Ontario, Canada!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donmac View Post
    some of that figured wood is beautiful! a strat body is less than 2"thick about 1.80paint finished which I don't want! 13" wide 19'' long![these may change with your touch] ash or alder is good!prettier is best! Clapton might want one too! I'm in Ontario, Canada!
    O.K.so I'm interested, I have the product, ability to produce finished article is questionable, I worry where I can get " THE SOUND " from, if I remember rightly the minute a plucker has a number one best seller he rushes to the music store and invests in a "RICKENBACKER" and a "GIBSON".
    Point me in the direction of the sound source and voila maybe we can cobble something together. Are you DON,MAC, OR DONMAC-----friends call me Jack unless their boating friends and then it's derogitory.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don it is. Jack! I'm just a guy with a passion for fast boats and guitars! I thought I could bring the two together! I can route the neck joint,pickup,tremolo cavity when I decide which hardware I'll use!Have a look at some strat bodies, put your touchs into the design, show me a nice piece of wood,guestimate my cost and we'll see if we can create some more history! sscleaver@yahoo.ca

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Don, woke at crack-o-sparrer and was at a car boot sale on Ford Aerodrome before 8am.Place is full of Diddies (gypos or gypsies, Romanies if you like), these characters sell everything from cars, jewellery, grandma's teeth and "GUITARS. "Saw a likely lad who filled the gap on my knowledge of guitars, after an hour or so I was well informed on electric gits, not so much the construction as the values, he could get me any instrument I wanted------wasn't he himself the godson of Kieth Richards----to be sure, and BB King was his dad's best mate. You get what this laddie was all about anyway.
    Upshot of all this is --he sold me a beautiful strato fender with a broken fender and no strings for £20, I only wanted to know how it was constructed, what materials, how it was shaped and finished.
    I can make the main body blindfold, nothing clever in that ----would imagine the shape is very much up to the individual, some nice touches in the contours, but you don't need to be RICKENBACKER to make one.
    Finish is Epoxy and would need care.
    will post some pictures later today of the ash slab it would come out of.
    One I bought was constructed in three pieces, will post foggies of this later today.
    Have to download from camera to iPad but I'm not good with multi tasking anything, let alone a 'puter.
    cost of timber and shaping will be around $250 ,have a grandson who is in charge at " GIECO" and they have an oven and great painting facilities.
    Up to you, but your best bet would be just buy the lump of wood and get your fender bender made by someone who knows how.J.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is the strato I bought this morning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Views:	90 
Size:	314.3 KB 
ID:	293315French oak is like American oak bland and devoid of character
    English oak has knots and colour and deforms, polish it for a hundred years and you get something called patina.
    english elm has so much beauty it,s bordering on ugly, but you just can't ignore it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Views:	45 
Size:	284.9 KB 
ID:	293322That's English oak I turned up yesterday, see the darker figuring, but it does have open texture and you have to use a grain filler to get a high gloss finish
    next up is ash, see the character screaming to be let out, bold, hard and colourful.
    this is old English yew, forceful deep colours, hard as bloody nails and lasts forever, wipe a damp cloth across it's bum and it sparkles, why the hell nobody uses this for a guitar body I cannot imagine, mind you it would be hard to find a single piece wide enough. I just happen to have one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jack, that's a fender squire series! you don't often see them in a natural finish, usually painted!the quality is really low on the new ones, that one may be one of the early ones [run the serial number]! the Mexican made strats are better and the usa made are the premium!! there is a huge story behind the fender,cbs purchase! the American strats 60,70's are worth money! but that's not where were going here! show me some nice wood, patina is great! I have Gibson,fender,G&L[which is Leo Fender] to play! I'm looking for a beautiful piece of wood that you crafted, that will be finished natural ,not painted!
    by the way ,you did ok on the squire it's worth more than L20! what really has my interest is if that squire is real wood, if you pull off the back plate,what's inside, real wood or glued sawdust!

show me a slab of beauty,please! I'll be hanging a maple neck on it,my other stuff is all rosewood necks and I'd like to have a maple fretboard on the next one!

show me a slab of beauty to put in my room of boats and noise!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup!!!!! It's solid wood, looks like inch and a half sandalwood, they shaded the perimeter in black lacquer.
    Took the back off and it's cool. Can't find the serial number.
    You are right, it's a "Squier Strat by Fender" damn but your good Don.
    I lied to you, I gave £12 for it----$18 us. So I wasn't, screwed by the diddy, (gyppo).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By the way, this has a maple neck with rosewood inlays and ivory fret. Hot sh-t, I could turn a small profit here----that rarely happens.
    will pull a couple of planks and put a surface on it so you can choose which cut you want, sits real easy on the belly and hip.
    Will need a profile, but I would be happier for you to get a guy to measure you up and custom-cut the piece around you.
    Promise you it will be worth the money. End of the day I can still cobble a work of art round the Strat, after all were already half way there, it is a work of art.
    If you ever bend a prop my son is one of the few people in the world that can put it right.
    Wilson Custom Marine in Stuart Fl.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [yes of course STAVROS knows what I do, so does Rich Luhrs, they already have works of mine.[/QUOTE]

Sits proudly in my house. Will try to post photo later. - Steve Sirois (AKA STAVROS. Jackie stuck that name on me)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jack, the first pic. in post #34 what species wood is that!, got a piece like that big enough! I'm not surprised you bumped into someone related to the stones!those boys were busy for a long time,half the population is probably related!

Page 3 of 1251 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 53 103 503 1003 ... LastLast