User Tag List

Page 20 of 1251 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 70 120 520 1020 ... LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Mark, did you ever come across a character called Jim Thompson from Valleyfield ???
    He took us out for a meal one evening, the restaurant was on an island several miles up the seaway, was real nice evening when we took off in his little tub with a cuddy and an oversized outboard, marvellous trip up there-------different story coming back------mountainous water, fog, rissing down with pain and he thinks he's Aronow !!!
    Took an hour to get there----and all night to get back----got back to Valleyfield at 4am, where he immediately took us to a diner for breakfast.
    Could write a few chapters on that trip-----including how the guys from Lake George fed us coke cookies and Flashmans and the Mayors wife tried 'em and finished up starkers in the pool with my mechanic Chas. Doesn't bear thinking about when your sober, resulted in my ex jumping on the first plane back to London ------it was 76 for crying out loud and the Olympics were on in Montreal and we were living the life. Ah well, that was one lifetime ago-----is till two more to go.!!!
    Jackie my friend. You got to learn how to rotate your pictures so they are right side up. Its becoming a real pain in the neck to lay sideways tring to admire your work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie and Greg, indeed it is a small world - and both of those stories confirm that life is absolutely ALL about the journey, be it good, bad or ugly. The ugly makes some of the best stories though...The next time we meet (OFF, golf tourney if I ever send my entry in? ) I'll tell you another Valleyfield whopper that haunts me to this day ... can't be told in public, unfortunately. Racing in the 70's, half of Canada's events took place in Quebec... mostly small towns where the regatta was the annual highlight. Racers were treated like Gold (albeit somewhat tarnished) : Every man, woman and child came out to party, down a case of Molson's Export or Labatt's 50, and let their inhibitions out. Naturally the Mercury team went to bed early - so they could be fresh and win races the next day ;0) ... but those white-cowled drivers? What can one say? Actually, if I did say, they would kill me.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	407.4 KB 
ID:	296255

I guess you have to hold the phone different Jackie..I cant rotate my iPhone pictures.
    Last edited by lars strom; 04-15-2014 at 08:51 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lars strom View Post

Views:	129 
Size:	407.4 KB 
ID:	296255

I guess you have to hold the phone different Jackie..I cant rotate my iPhone pictures.
    Thought the iPhone was only for grand kids, I sure as hell would have no idea how to pilot one of those contraptions. Sam bought me an all singing and dancing Sony compact that even wipes my bum when I'm done , but it only takes sideways pictures.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Views:	12 
Size:	390.6 KB 
ID:	296292

Remember the "nearly "piece of timber from Arundel,well I stuck four windys rounding a buoy on top and it's still a "nearly" piece.
    Way back when, we all used to SWIRL any piece of aluminium with a flat surface, so I did the back of the sails, and polished the front, even though it's stainless.
    Were heading in the right direction, just got lost somewhere along the way, possibilities are endless, just a case of playing the cards right.

Dont be reticent about the lighter side of the Canadian side of boat racing, Mark,I do know it's not all goodie two shoes and dolly mixtures, just from the Valleyfield trip.
    Second trip was a much quieter affair ----went Rocky Mountain railway from Calgary
    to Vancouver ----first class upper deck----two diesel, characterless chuggers reached a staggering thirty one and a half miles per hour on the downhill section.
    Wildlife was impressive, one bear, two chipmunks , thirty seven eagles and a stray dog----exciting or what.
    Met that champion Rottweiler of powerboat history Benny, (Benson, that is) ,not true, he's a pussy cat and as nice as can be-----buy him a drink and he'll follow you anywhere .
    Also got to meet Travis Davies and his fantastic collection of boats and motors, now that was something else.
    Also met a bunch of Canadian race boat drivers at their old farts get together, got to ride in a little boat with a fecking big frightening motor stitched to the transom, 300 plus horsepower I was told, guy driving it told me it would run close to a hundred, but he kept it down to below ninety-----After all I was just turned eighty with only limited medical insurance, a triple by-pass and a bad case of scaredy cat itus at the time-----I'm ok now though.
    So get some Canadian stories coming Mark, -----we are all growed up now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Views:	14 
Size:	366.9 KB 
ID:	296331Click image for larger version. 

Views:	16 
Size:	441.9 KB 
ID:	296332Click image for larger version. 

Views:	15 
Size:	396.2 KB 
ID:	296333

Ran out of mounts to put stuff on so reverted back to the damn near empty wood store, was the bark that caught my eye so I very gently carved and sanded away, until I exposed some wonderful images.
    Have a selection of quartz , glass, crystals etc, that I have picked up over the years, one of the blue bits fitted the knothole just about spot on--------what do you think of "OLE BLUE EYE" ? Bit munsterish , but totally different.

Had the annual retina test that diabetics have once a year this morning, sting drops in the peepers, ten minute wait then a bombardment of light and phoggies, to only be told what I already knew, the mincers were fine and fit for human consumption . Not allowed to drive for 24 hours, so I shall have 120 winks and maybe talk more if I feel like it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, it turned out I didn't feel so good a few hours after the eye tests, took to my bed and stayed there till morning. Would have been miserable company anyway, and Her who shall be obeyed would not have liked me under her feet, so to speak. Woke up and still didn't feel right, so decided not to go anywhere near the machine shop today. Instead I went to the car boot sale at Ford Aerodrome -----bought a really nice INCA 10' bandsaw and a xylophone from a Belgian lady who had travelled all the way from Brugge with a truck load of goodies.
    My workshop is too small and the Startrite bandsaw too big, I just don't cut up huge planks anymore, so the idea is to sell the Startrite.
    Not much activity today, maybe tomorrow , it's Good Friday so the roads will be gridlocked, wise to stay indoors far away from the maddening crowd. Forecast is for a fine weekend, so the death toll on the roads will be pretty high. You can tell I'm not meself , far too cheerful.
    Wish you all a very happy Easter --------will probably get into something or other over the weekend. If I do ,I'll let you know, j.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can always talk amongst yourselves------feel free to use the site------criticise if you like----just don't remain silent-------help make it an interesting site . ,!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a great Easter Jackie. Are you going to brave the pool?
    Last edited by CNC_Guy; 04-17-2014 at 05:11 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CNC_Guy View Post
    Have a great Easter Jackie. Are you going to brave the pool?
    You too my friend-------At 13 degrees, only a mad demented and depressed person would contemplate the pool---and grand children.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You too my friend-------At 13 degrees, only a mad demented and depressed person would contemplate the pool---and grand children.
    13 x 2 = 26 + 25 = 51 F
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Instigator View Post
    13 x 2 = 26 + 25 = 51 F
    Whats all this with the " Albert " theory Gary,-----you trying to tell me you were schooled------what sort of establishment was it-------'cos you got it wrong again, according to Julius Pythagarus who was a great one for the ladies and figures of all descriptions------his immaculate conceptional interpretation would have gone 13x2 = 26 + 32 = ?? But then again he was not much good at chariot racing------he weighed in at over 300lbs-----drove a Rolls Canardly in later life ?
    Have a wonderful Easter .

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Whats all this with the " Albert " theory Gary,-----you trying to tell me you were schooled------what sort of establishment was it-------'cos you got it wrong again,
    Just exercising the noggin Jackie.
    Graduated 1st in class from school of hard knocks.

I always remember the temperature formula taught to me by a friendly Canuck on one of my boat trips to their side of the lake. The interesting thing is it's not linear.
    What works at 15* C does not work at 30*.

Always liked playing with numbers. One bored, sleepless night I caught myself scanning the back of a car magazine that listed all the performance times of their previously tested cars and decided their should be a formula to predict this.
    A while later I had one that with Lb's divided by Hp's X a number representing either manual or auto transmission that worked.
    I tested it on every one of their published #'s and it was within a couple tenths on all of them. I was impressed and decided I had done something important.
    The next morning, leaving for work after 2 hrs sleep, I remembered what I had done and shook my head and said to myself that I needed to get more sleep

Have a great Easter over there too Jackie.

We start banging nails here in a couple hrs and it's raining.
    I'd rather be competitive w/junk I built in my garage than win w/stuff I bought.

I refuse to allow common sense to interfere w/my boat buying decisions.

Checkmate 16' 140 Johnson
    Hydrostream 17' Vector FrankenRude I
    Laser 480 (?) 21' w/GT 200
    Glastron Carlson Conquest w/XP 2.6
    Glastron Carlson CVX 20 w/XP 2.6
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 Johnsons
    24' Sonic w/twin 250 HO Johnsons
    19' STV River Rocket w/FrankenRude II
    Allison XR 2002 w/Frankenrude II
    Hydrostream 18' V-King w/Frankenrude II

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you do that-----just take a line out and send just the line, if nobody out there tells me, I will just have to wait for the kids to come.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Views:	21 
Size:	372.6 KB 
ID:	296405

Good Friday and everyone left for Mars-----went into the shop and got down to some serious alterations of the stuff I don't really like or at least am "unhappy" with. Filled the base with a beech faced board----improved it no end----gave it a bit of class. Not finalised but a definite step direction wise

Page 20 of 1251 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 70 120 520 1020 ... LastLast