Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, rent day (Thursday) came and went with a lot of fuss and palava ------God must have been on the Guinness last night from the amount of liquid that fell from above today! We had a months rain in six hours, over two inches, hell's teeth it was more like Singapore than West Sussex! It was high tide around noon so there was plenty local flooding to boot.
    Did my normal trip to the car boot sale at Ford, no more than forty stalls and they all packed up and headed home by nine o'clock.

Battery coughed and died on me, was in a terminal state on the Lexus, bloody thing is only four years old(Yuasa).
    Spent an hour on line analysing the costs, amps and start up performances-----conclusions was there's no such thing as a cheap heavy duty hi-perf car battery, picked up an Exide and fitted it myself for under £100. That was was a years wages when I was an apprentice baker!

Never made it into the shop today except to dump on the bench the 12" steel rule, 25 magic markers, two crystal orbs for golf trophies and a mixed box of I don't know what!!!?Why the hell do I do it?----Shattered again from doing nothing, I'm off to Noddyland, MYGGWY "J.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would appear old racers are not much interested in Eagles , Owls, Falcons or Hawks so not much point in posting pics nobody ponders over.
    Up to now we have had the usual two day English summer with wall to wall sunshine, the rest of the time has been the same as usual, wet and windy with plenty of juice for good measure.
    Leave here 2am Sunday morning for six days in Ibeza, Jillys eldest boy has hired a villa for a month along with a "Pershin" and a couple of jet skis. Means she gets to be with Ivan for a while, she really is caught between a rock and a hard place.

Could spend the day in the shop finishing off some golf trophies for the 2015 annual Off Golf Tournament, nearly have enough to ensure everyone taking part gets "something".

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie
    what was the last outboard you owned, photos?
    How about one you wished but never had?
    Cheers
    Last edited by powerabout; 08-14-2015 at 01:54 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    Jackie
    what was the last outboard you owned, photos?
    How about one you wished but never had?
    Cheers
    THE COSWORTH. ( it was removable from the transom complete with its drive, according to UIM and apba rules, that is the designation of an outboard)
    Not in my wildest dreams could I wish for anything to match that one!
    Never envied anyone else's rig, it was always down to my own capabilities , I never believed there was any difference in the motors we ran.
    Always thought OMC had a better gear case than the Merc, but we had a much more reliable lump. Never did get used to The Jonrude moan of we only race "fishing motors" !

Well, I got news for you,----we FISHED with race motors------we caught more.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is an ever such interesting thread right here on S&F called "WORLD OUTBOARD RECORD BID"
    came across it over a year ago and was interested in it as it appeared to be in Stuart, which is where my son Mark lives and works.
    I gather from following the comments that the guys involved are fine engineers and very knowledgeable racers dedicated to reach more than Garbrecht did with Bedford Davey behind him funding the effort.!
    Now hereby hangs the problem, you either keep schtum about it like Warby did, (though his Ma knew all about it) or proudly announce it to the world and keep them informed of your progress.
    I keep hearing of problems-----the motor looks to be a beautiful and serious piece of kit putting out ridiculous amounts of horses , more than adequate for the task ahead, so I can't see the problem there. Up to now though the disturbing fact is, I have not seen any recording of even a shakedown run-------not even fifty miles per hour.
    You expect things to start happening, like Squirlies and a bit out of shape once you get past the 135mph mark, but dammit it all, outboard boats are running faster than that in closed course competition all over the world.
    Think it would be fair to say that any of today's F1/2 rigs could be set up to run over 150mph in ideal conditions----indeed I have heard that the V8 rigs of 25 years ago were capable of over 160, true or false? Who am I to judge?

Just asking if if it would be possible to hear a true progress report instead of listening to innuendos!

Take comfort from the Fact that even Richard Noble and Andy Green have gone silent on the "BLOODHOUND " project and are now years behind the first attempt at 1,000 MPH.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was a time on this thread when I would get folk disagreeing with my comments about one thing or another but that seems like a while ago now and I can't believe there isn't even the odd one or two out there who don't think I talk out of my rectum on the odd occasion!

Been fitting a bunch of trophies into the boxes I bought a couple weeks ago for shipment to the USA. Spent over two hours slotting things in and out until they all fitted nice-n-snug, no matter how well I pack everything, just know it's just damage limitation. It will also take a big bag of gold to ship them out there!

Just 26 hours before we head off for Ibiza' six days lying in the sun is not my idea of heaven but I expect I'll find something interesting to do out there.
    End of rambling for today sleep peaceful, MYGGWY.J.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chucked it down "All night long" ( good name for a song don'tcha think ?)
    My grand daughter Sonny gave birth to a boy yesterday, that makes eight great grandsons as well as well as the two girls. One more and I have my own soccer team.
    Will try and get the first case packed with trinkets for Tavares, would like to get it safely over there before the end of September. I know I can get everything else into the second case and still have room to spare, just in case someone wants something.
    Elvis concert and Barbie next door tonight, won't be staying until the end, have to leave here at 2am and I need at least three hours sleep or I'm a grouch .
    May get time to post a few ramblings before the days over, but I shall take my camera and iPad with me should anything exciting occur I'll let you know, chow bene!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here I am on old Ibiza, ! ( Shades of "Camp Grenada") !
    Gatwick Airport at three a.m. was just like Piccadilly circus at ten on a Saturday night.
    Cattle class on "Easy Jet" to Ibiza is worthy of a book on its own, how not to travel round the world
    Gotta go, talk later.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Here I am on old Ibiza, ! ( Shades of "Camp Grenada") !
    Gatwick Airport at three a.m. was just like Piccadilly circus at ten on a Saturday night.
    Cattle class on "Easy Jet" to Ibiza is worthy of a book on its own, how not to travel round the world
    Gotta go, talk later.
    Travel safely Jackie......
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very celubrious villa, ten mill on a good day, good weather apart from the odd clap of thunder and some lightning strikes, two inches of rain in two hours., why am I not surmazed? 'cos I'm 83 and seen it all before!
    Internet connections are rare as hens teeth or rocking horse sh-t, forgot to bring my iPad charger anyway so have to make it last.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second day running heavy rain, hailstones, thunder and lightning, locals tell me it's the first time in five years, I told em it's because I decided to spend my holiday right here, miserable weather follows me like the plague.
    Down To ten percent of battery on the iPad. Have to keep it short and sweet?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went into town today, found the the car phone warehouse and the two dollar charger for the amazing price of only. Thirty dollars! And there was me thinking I was the smart arse. No wonder the buggers sent the Armada.

13. Likes olboatman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Third day on the trot there's been torrential downpours, thunder and lightning and hailstone ?
    Was told it's "not unusual", good name for a song don'tcha think!
    Me myself actually couldn't give a flying fart, air temperature is around the eighty mark. I stretch out on one of the many loungers under the veranda covered by a hucking fuge Bougainville in full bloom reading an early Jack Higgins thriller "Confessional". It actually took me two days to finish.
    Meandered down to the pool , cooled the cajones for twenty minutes, back to Higgins. Life's a stone bitch sometimes.
    Ipad charger working ok. Have sixty per cent battery already.
    Minute I have anything of interest to report I'll tell you!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a lightning show the likes of which I have never seen before, lasted about three hours, went on from around midnight until three thirty. Very little In the way of rain, but quite a few thunderclaps, my sainted mother used to call it Gods indigestion, he's been on the baked beans!
    Morning has broken? bright sunshine but more storms around eleven! What the hell's matter with the world these days ? I am on holiday for crying out loud, I DESERVE a ray of sunshine or three.
    Dammit, I've put in the hours, give me a break!
    I'm not really having a go! In fact I am a poor man having a wealthy mans holiday! You all know my philosophy on life "SOMEDAYS YOU EAT BEAR"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought you are meant to go on holidays in europe in september as less crowds and better weather?

Page 186 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 86 136 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 236 286 686 1186 ... LastLast