User Tag List

Page 103 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 3 53 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 153 203 603 1103 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 18756
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    You have to remember, back in the timeframe we are talking about, everything done at Mercury was a well kept secret. As a result, stories about Garbrecht's flip are conflicting and the Molinari twin engine test at the Lake is a guess ..... but here is my version.

I don't know why, but I do know that Gary was doing most of the hi-performance/racing test driving in Oshkosh. I believe he drove the first closed cockpit Molinari to come to Mercury in a demonstration Mr. K put on for the VIP's in Fond du Lac. He flipped that boat and hurt his back. I think he was told to stay out of race boats at that time, but didn't follow those orders to the letter of the law.

I was test driving some of the race hulls and after his flip, started driving all of the various OPC hulls that came though the doors. Then this twin Molinari showed up in Oshkosh and Gary climbs back in the saddle. First time out, he could drive the nuts off of this rig, so I suspect the original testing with this boat took place in secret at the Lake. It is probably the boat referenced in those Lake X test sheets.

Sometime during this testing, either Gary's back went out on him again or Mr. K really did lay the law down because very suddenly, Gary put me in the boat to conclude the tests. I didn't drive it worth a damn and we switched places to get the test completed. Then we went out to Lake Butte de Morts and he gave me driving lessons. Wasn't long and I got the hang of how to run this rig. It was quite different than anything I had run to date. Initially a bit scary, but always quite thrilling. It ran over pretty bad water at full speed and you felt very comfortable. Anyway, I ended up putting in a bunch of hours behind the wheel of this rig.

Now, as Mr. Harvey says, the rest of the story ..... Here comes Parker, 1970, the twin is assigned to Billy Don Pruett. We get there about a week early and begin testing the team entries, but there is no Pruett. A couple of days later Gary tells me that Pruett had just called and said that he might not be able to make it to the race. Something about having a new job and not being able to get the time off. Gary added that he had just signed the two of us on as co-drivers for the twin. He said that if Billy Don doesn't make it, he and I will run it. Made sense to me, we had more time in it that anyone else did anyway.

We did run a couple of practice laps, really just to see the whole course and that would be why you saw Gary wearing a Lifeline at Parker!

Side note: this was probably the only time I was ever disappointed seeing Billy Don show up for a race.

The Molinari twin I am referring to ......
    I don't want to appear to be a thick'un but could you tell me if #1 was this hull just a regular single engine hull with an extra motor fitted to a modified transom? or

#2 a completely modified hull to accept the extra horses.

#3 something else?
    Thanks Phill..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twin Molinari ....

Quote Originally Posted by ron54 View Post
    I don't want to appear to be a thick'un but could you tell me if #1 was this hull just a regular single engine hull with an extra motor fitted to a modified transom? or

#2 a completely modified hull to accept the extra horses.

#3 something else?
    Thanks Phill..
    The single engine Molinari's of the day (1968/69) were 18', this was 21', built specifically for twins. It finished 3rd at Havasu in 1969 running stacked 1250's with BP lower units. It was beaten by a new Molinari, a modified version of this hull and a fiberglass version of the exact same hull. This boat came back to win Havasu in 1970, this time with stacked 1350's and speedmasters!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was great of you to kick a little life back into the "TRICKS" site William. Thank you most sincerely.

That, and they finally aired "KING REGGIE"!
    Mark facetimed me and told me the show was a great success.
    Butler told me about this time last year that he was working with Reggie, Earl and Billy on putting "The King REGGIE Show" together.
    In 2009 Reggie came over for the Round the Isle of Wight race, it was run in place of the "Cowes Torquay" -----grandson Craig was leading the Offshore world P 1 championship in a 42' reggie boat.
    The "Golden One" was sweet talking my youngest sister Jan, and he was plying magnums of bubbly all over COWES--------there was me telling Jan to keep her knicker 'lastic tight for the whole weekend and explaining the legend that is Reggie.
    Reggie was having in depth conversations with Andy Green (Worlds fastest man on earth).
    Where ever he goes, there's a buzz around him, life is never dull, but I didn't want the liability of being related to Reggie or calling him "BRO"-------that's why I was putting Jan on a straight and narrow path.

The Tricks site has gotten over its hiccup and is up and running again and I may not have to revert to cracking jokes again any time soon, MYGGWY .J.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    The single engine Molinari's of the day (1968/69) were 18', this was 21', built specifically for twins. It finished 3rd at Havasu in 1969 running stacked 1250's with BP lower units. It was beaten by a new Molinari, a modified version of this hull and a fiberglass version of the exact same hull. This boat came back to win Havasu in 1970, this time with stacked 1350's and speedmasters!
    Willable, thanks for the info....P

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be glad to see the rear end of this year, am not normally in a hurry to get time rushing along, I always think it goes plenty fast enough for me, but there's been too many downs this year for my liking.
    Next door neighbour is throwing a "Frilly Frock" party to- night---presume it's monkeys for the men.
    I like going to Steve's, there's usually about 100 of my close friends attend, plenty of food and drink and music and he does a great Elvis impersonation. Has log fires in every room and a firework display at midnight to herald in the new year.
    Be nice to hear what some of the colonials get up tonight-----give us a shout if you feel like it!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy New Year Jackie! This colonial is staying home with wife and kids and having a steak and seafood feast. Have fun at the party.
    Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CNC_Guy View Post
    Happy New Year Jackie! This colonial is staying home with wife and kids and having a steak and seafood feast. Have fun at the party.
    Dave
    A happy and prosperous New Year to to you too Dave, thanks for all your comments throughout the year.
    to all the many people that have made the "Tricks” thread what it is today---------thank you one and all, long may it continue to thrive, I wish you all health, wealth and happiness and best wishes for 2015, God bles you all!

Made it to 11:45 last night, but had to call it a little early, the. Old body's only firing on seven pots just at present----------you gotta look after well used and wore out kit, make it last as long as you can.
    Have to start ringing round the F&F ( friends and family) pretty soon, that's what's so good about FACETIME it's fast and free, and you get to see em face to face. Talk later in the day..We made it to 2015!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, the world and his granny called me today both on Skype and FaceTime, the latter was used most--------used the battery and then some.
    Was visited in person by two of my daughters and a son in law ----------was facetimed by Mark from Florida and Boo who is the only one who's birthday I can remember as its today.

tomorrow they take the monitor off--------have a rendezvous with the surgeon midday, so should be well on the way to getting my licence back in no time flat.
    Was a worrying , more than a painful time, but if I'm honest, I'll be glad to get rid of the headaches, they were beginning to piss me right off.
    Got a rake of pictures folk have sent me, one of Bob Spalding airborne at Bristol, another of the OFF meeting in Jupiter with Jim Hunt and Billy Seebold, should keep you amused! you may never hear another joke from me again.

So one last time--------a happy new year and may your God go with you! J.W.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very best to you and your family for the New Year. Glad things are smoothing over. You better tell more jokes or I'll be after you because the guys at work like them!
    Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    look at this then------or even this----or this-----how 'bout that---you got it ----grandkids been around-------all i got to do now is figure how to get it back to how it was, and they've gone home. why the hell can't they leave things well alone.?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    would appear it goes back to normal on its own some -----no doubt about it----there the smartest dumbest thing on the planet especially in the hands of S&F and smart assed old farts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The kids put your location back to France as well
    Best wishes for the new year to you Jackie and your family
    Regards
    Another transported colonial
    Last edited by powerabout; 01-02-2015 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought his accent sounded different today!
    Dave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I finally escaped the penal colony in 89, hitched a ride on a plane to Singapore then caught various boats from Singapore, via the USA, Caribbean, Mediterranean made it to the UK 5 years later.
    Worked incognito for the Germans in London then got uncovered one morning in the office cafe putting Vegemite on my toast, got re deported but escaped half way back so ended up back in Singapore.
    at least I have a few outboards plus a special one I think I got for xmas, photos when i get home in 2 weeks and open the presents
    " I love the smell of 2 stroke in the morning"

PS Sorry about the accent but part of my sentence was going to one of those re-training camps where they try to make you speak proper ( and wear one of those caps like Angus from ACDC )
    Last edited by powerabout; 01-02-2015 at 08:05 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your typing looked better BEFORE it went back to normal. Just another Old Fart that loves ya.

Page 103 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 3 53 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 153 203 603 1103 ... LastLast