Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just wondering, back when Fonda was in singapore and penang, how much money did you need to get the show up and running at each venue?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    I was just wondering, back when Fonda was in singapore and penang, how much money did you need to get the show up and running at each venue?
    Transport was always the big expense———— we were lucky that Parkinson had friends in high places and industry——- the Arab countries ran their own airlines which made life easier.
    Parky always said it was a “balancing act” trying to get the figures right—— we were generally ok until the UIM wanted first class travel and Ritz accommodation for hordes of hangers on.
    Believe it or not Mercury often stepped in with a helping hand wherever it was needed.
    I couldn’t give you an accurate figure of the costs involved Pilgrim——— whilst we never made money out of the series——— a lot of people had a lot of fun.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what cash a F1H20 event needs to turn up?
    Just imagine how many hotel rooms you need?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    I wonder what cash a F1H20 event needs to turn up?
    Just imagine how many hotel rooms you need?
    Funnily Enough Pilgrim we never had any problems arranging accommodation or flights——- we stayed at some of the worlds best hotels———- usually arranged at a simple meeting with management and a few mentions in dispatches.
    Theres usually more hotel rooms than customers in a large city.
    Most airlines are “proud to be associated with” in exchange for around 100 cattle class tickets.

In the early days of the Paris Six Hours——— the organisers would pay you to turn up——- gasoline was free and there were some hefty cash awards.
    All that changed as the event got popular———- It became the most expensive race in the world to participate in——— even the gasoline was double dear——— nobody could afford a protest at €100 a pop.
    Its not cheap to put a race on——- but it never was!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happy New Year everyone!!! I had to chime in on this statement as I have restored a few antique and "rare" outboards. My thought on this statement is that Marks decision on "old blue" is a no-brainer.....why would you change anything on this "time piece" as isn't it the only one that lives on! Would one consider this a historical artifact and if so wouldn't "authentic" be the proper way? JMO
    Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie - Happy Birthday...!!
    (In about 682 hours)
    (40,920 minutes)
    (2,455,200 seconds)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hells teeth Bob———- that’s tempting fate a bit——- or even jumping the gun.
    Its only a few months since my last fiasco of a celebratory affair !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olboatman View Post
    Happy New Year everyone!!! I had to chime in on this statement as I have restored a few antique and "rare" outboards. My thought on this statement is that Marks decision on "old blue" is a no-brainer.....why would you change anything on this "time piece" as isn't it the only one that lives on! Would one consider this a historical artifact and if so wouldn't "authentic" be the proper way? JMO
    Gary
    When-we first acquired “Old Blue” you must remember that there’s lots of stuff missing off it anyway.
    Whilst it’s original in a sense——— it’s an original bastardised version of old blue.
    Unfortuately shillings have to be earned and food put on the table———— Im certain that some time in the future, a place will be found for old blue .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olboatman View Post
    Gary
    ...Agreed. Got ta go original. It will cost a couple thousand or so to do it, but worth it in the end. Only way to do it, that I can think of, is to search out an original 1976 V-1750 & build the rest of Old Blue's powerhead, and the rest of a complete motor, with that. Not too hard. There are still a few out there. Some mounted on boats, that might have to be bought along with the motor, but not much choice any more. Sell off the boat, etc. Look in the freshwater states, and they will come apart to be restored, no problem. One trick though, is getting one with the first generation gearcase design. This is it...

10. Likes rckid74 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

12. Likes rckid74 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

14. Likes Mugs914 liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...incorrect gearcase I believe...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fuji if your ever just passing through Port St Lucie——- take a while out and spend a few minutes at Marks place———- it’s right off the end of the runway at the airport .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    ...Agreed. Got ta go original. It will cost a couple thousand or so to do it, but worth it in the end. Only way to do it, that I can think of, is to search out an original 1976 V-1750 & build the rest of Old Blue's powerhead, and the rest of a complete motor, with that. Not too hard. There are still a few out there. Some mounted on boats, that might have to be bought along with the motor, but not much choice any more. Sell off the boat, etc. Look in the freshwater states, and they will come apart to be restored, no problem. One trick though, is getting one with the first generation gearcase design. This is it...
    I don't think that will work out Fugimo. Let me explain. --- OLD BLUE was never intended to be run on a boat and does not have any of the necessary mounting points for all sorts of accessories. It was designed to be run on a crankshaft dyno -- period. When running on the crankshaft dyno, all the accessory things like switch box, ignition coil, starter solenoid, fuel supply, water supply, throttle control, were ready mounted in the dyno cell and of course we didn't need a cowl. So trying to make it a runable, cowled boat engine by adding all that stuff will indeed bastardize it. The only thing bastardized about it right now (no offense meant Jackie) are the die cast cylinder heads which I had to put on it just to get it buttoned up and protected from further decay. The original sand cast heads were missing when I found the engine after many years in storage.

The only reason it's mounted on an undercarriage now is that it looked so good on the dyno, we thought it had a decent chance for production but we first needed to back up the dyno performance with some boat testing. Quickest way to do that was to somehow mount it on the inline six undercarriage. Hense what you see now. John and Jack did that boat testing with OLD BLUE at the lake in March of '72. The test results and some of John's comments about it are given in the MERC V6 HISTORY thread.
    Last edited by rckid74; 01-03-2018 at 07:15 AM.

18. Likes Capt.Insane-o, milkdud liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rckid74 View Post
    I don't think that will work out Fugimo. Let me explain. --- OLD BLUE was never intended to be run on a boat and does not have any of the necessary mounting points for all sorts of accessories. It was designed to be run on a crankshaft dyno -- period. When running on the crankshaft dyno, all the accessory things like switch box, ignition coil, starter solenoid, fuel supply, water supply, throttle control, were ready mounted in the dyno cell and of course we didn't need a cowl. So trying to make it a runable, cowled boat engine by adding all that stuff will indeed bastardize it. The only thing bastardized about it right now (no offense meant Jackie) are the die cast cylinder heads which I had to put on it just to get it buttoned up and protected from further decay. The original sand cast heads were missing when I found the engine after many years in storage.

The only reason it's mounted on an undercarriage now is that it looked so good on the dyno, we thought it had a decent chance for production but we first needed to back up the dyno performance with some boat testing. Quickest way to do that was to somehow mount it on the inline six undercarriage. Hense what you see now. John and Jack did that boat testing with OLD BLUE at the lake in March of '72.
    Mark always wondered what exactly we had with”Old Blue”————- lots of things just didn’t add up——— the old distributor——- the in line leg———- die cast heads——— the more he looked at it, the less sense he could make of it.
    At the moment it would appear the best thing to do is NOTHING, except maybe put a glass case round it.
    I have to say, it’s certainly,——— very suddenly become a really exciting piece of kit——- to this day, I will never understand why Rich or Roger never snapped up this slice of history.
    Its provenance is indisputable so for outboard historians and puritans——— Old Blue is already priceless !
    It was Sirois who told me about all the Lake X test sheets (including the Switzer findings)——— I had never ever set eyes on Old Blue and bought it over the phone.

What a brilliant start to the new year!

Page 465 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 365 415 441 442 443 444 445 446 447 448 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 515 565 965 ... LastLast