Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by techteam View Post
    On Kerosene would say it's the Merc JP optimax, only sold to the US military I think.
    the etec work well with kerosene because of the etec injector, the military also use them
    on diesel they are not great due to the carbon

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raceboat Prices Not Worth The $$$ Spent

Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Price of a DAC today is €130,000—— big chunk out of a budget——- When you can buy A full carbon Seebold for $25,000.
    Unless you have a highly talented CPA who is familiar with tax laws (business cost, depreciation etc) the cost of any race boat these days is not worth the money. DAC or Seebold, it doesn't matter. I unloaded all of my F1 stuff 8 years ago for 10% of what I paid for it. I was glad to get what I got for everything. Seebold composite price in 1990 was $9500...........Custom built Hoffman in 1995 was $10,500. DAC @ $130K or Seebold @ $25K? I don't think so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterZebra View Post
    Unless you have a highly talented CPA who is familiar with tax laws (business cost, depreciation etc) the cost of any race boat these days is not worth the money. DAC or Seebold, it doesn't matter. I unloaded all of my F1 stuff 8 years ago for 10% of what I paid for it. I was glad to get what I got for everything. Seebold composite price in 1990 was $9500...........Custom built Hoffman in 1995 was $10,500. DAC @ $130K or Seebold @ $25K? I don't think so.
    Its the way of the world my friend——— who would have thought that an Outboard “Poker run” rig
    would cost over a million?——— I am still remember my daughter Sam getting £500 sponsorship to do a season’s junior racing—— we thought we’d hit the big time!
    Told Hodges I wouldn’t be buying any more boats when he hiked the price to £3,000 !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get pig sick of folks who tell you ——- IM SITTING IN THE AIRPORT AT —————???? Hate to tell you this, but I’m at Montpellier airport which has had at least forty zillion euro’s spent on upgrades in the last ten years.
    Its every airport in the world——- whether its Oshkosh or Carcasonne, obscene amounts of money have been spent on marble floors and scent and booze shops, dustbin like robots that read your flight details and passports, but can’t get you off in time because the flight controllers have thrown the dollies out of the pram.
    Machines can’t replace people——— and it still takes an hour to collect your broken suitcase which some disgruntled “baggage handler” threw down the stairs in a mad fit of depression.
    Dont you just love to travel ———— especially by air!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Living in my village —- Bouzigues——- is a Swede, Michael who just happens to race vintage autos—— it’s a Rotary Mazda RX7-78 with a 12A dry sump. Full group 2 spec—— he really pisses off the establishment by continuously winning——— told me he’s pulling 500 hp. What do you think Johnno?
    500 Hp maybe but I suspect that's a bit of wishful thinking. All Mazda's are dry sump as the oil reservoir is out side the working engine. The Mazda LeManns engine was 900+ Hp.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    500 Hp maybe but I suspect that's a bit of wishful thinking. All Mazda's are dry sump as the oil reservoir is out side the working engine. The Mazda LeManns engine was 900+ Hp.

Wish I knew where he's finding the 300 extra horses from a good ish 12a, no wonder the establishment is pissed off.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Michael’s Rotary is pushing a ‘68 Plymouth——— watched film of him passing 911 Porky’s with consummate ease——- his comment was———- that’s the difference between 300 and 500 hp!
    Just telling it the way I heard it.
    14:00 hrs and just walked in the door———bugger the “heart”——- home is where the workshop is!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Race Award Prize - Reverse Evolution

Its the way of the world my friend——— who would have thought that an Outboard “Poker run” rig
    would cost over a million?——— I am still remember my daughter Sam getting £500 sponsorship to do a season’s junior racing—— we thought we’d hit the big time!
    Told Hodges I wouldn’t be buying any more boats when he hiked the price to £3,000 !
    Race purse amounts gradually got smaller and then disappeared (sponsors / organizers).
    Tow money died.
    Local motel discounts (for racers and crews) stopped.
    Trophies went from 2-3 ft tall sky scrapers to itty bitty desktop icons (along with plaque inscriptions and size) then died off.
    Prizes went from humble T-shirts to coffee cups and then wall ribbons to certificates (paper).

On the other side of the coin.............entry fees went up just about as fast as fuel prices.

9. Likes Bob V liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WaterZebra View Post
    Race purse amounts gradually got smaller and then disappeared (sponsors / organizers).
    Tow money died.
    Local motel discounts (for racers and crews) stopped.
    Trophies went from 2-3 ft tall sky scrapers to itty bitty desktop icons (along with plaque inscriptions and size) then died off.
    Prizes went from humble T-shirts to coffee cups and then wall ribbons to certificates (paper).

On the other side of the coin.............entry fees went up just about as fast as fuel prices.
    Ok , so prize money went down in the USA——- there never was any decent prize money in Europe.
    So we can’t use that as an excuse.
    The chrome plated plastic four poster trophies were FECKIN hideous——- couldn’t have cost more than one ninety five in Walmart’s——- Italian and Spanish trophies were beautiful in design and probably solid silver———- French were serious pieces of glass———
    If anybody wants a one off trophy—— I’m quite capable of doing the odd desirable at a reasonable fee.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I just want to say that this thread is incredible. Browsing the pages on it really shows how priceless the information in this thread. @jackiewilson thank you for starting what is truly one of the all-time best threads on Scream And Fly.

Ober 500,000 views and 8200 replies! Just think about that - 8200 replies! That’s just massive.

Thank you Jackie and everybody that made this thread a very unique record of history that so many thousands of people will enjoy. It will always remain at the top of this forum for as long as this site exists (which will be for a very long time, I hope).

Greg

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

12. Likes GENE LANHAM, Bob V liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA7177F1-85FE-45CF-97F3-68E22CC45776.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	405.4 KB 
ID:	410493

Imagiine listening to a harp and a violin in perfect harmony inside a fourteenth century French Abbey without a lid ? Awe inspiring——— until the Beauty is interrupted by the sound of a three rotor drone—— controlled by an iPhone ——— taking piccies of the guests below.
    Apparently, before long, the wedding photographer will be another casualty in the technological race to get rid of “BEANS”————— “HUMAN BEINGS “———
    Five will get you ten there will be no such thing as a HIGH STREET————— ( you remember, place where all the shops were long ago) within five years.
    Carrefoure In France, is a bit like Public’s in the USA———- used to be a food shop that sold fruit and veg———- then confectionary———then meat and fish——— then electrical and clothing———- then banking and insurance———— then travel and holidays——— then camping and fishing gear.
    Was in there Saturday——- over a hundred push bikes, but with ion battery power and a range of seventy five miles, ranging in price from $500 a pop——— to $2500. Didn’t anyone realise that this would mean the Butcher, the baker, the greengrocer, the haberdashery, the electric shop, the furniture shop, the clothes store, the bike shop, the bank, the insurance broker could no longer justify staying in business and had to close its doors?
    Is this happening in your town——- or is it a European thing?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so Somedays you eat bear ,——- maybe it IS happening in your town and you just haven’t noticed it yet———— milkman used to deliver fresh milk, cream and butter to our door every morning when I was a kid———- he had it in a 20 gallon aluminium churn that housed three measuring ladles
    This was replaced with glass milk bottles that were washed and sent back to the dairy——— now these have been replaced by plastic milk bottles of every size——— when you finished with it you just chuckled it in the ocean ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scream And Fly View Post
    I just want to say that this thread is incredible. Browsing the pages on it really shows how priceless the information in this thread. @jackiewilson thank you for starting what is truly one of the all-time best threads on Scream And Fly.

Ober 500,000 views and 8200 replies! Just think about that - 8200 replies! That’s just massive.

Thank you Jackie and everybody that made this thread a very unique record of history that so many thousands of people will enjoy. It will always remain at the top of this forum for as long as this site exists (which will be for a very long time, I hope).

Greg
    Hells Bells——— Gadzooks and Oddsbodikins—— How ya like them apples Willabee ? High praise indeed—— Straight from the admins mouth——- thank you Greg! All joking apart Willabee’s “Hot Singles” is in a class of its own with over 715,000 hits——- this time next year Fuji’s thread “Mercury through the years” should just about beat Willabee to the million mark——— unless of course, he decides to stick some ginger up his bum and give a big boost to the HOT SINGLES——- which Welch can do easily.——- Go for it William.

16. Likes Bob V, tagman liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Jackie
    I think i asked before but what years did fonda race in Singapore and Penang?
    Thanks

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    Hi Jackie
    I think i asked before but what years did fonda race in Singapore and Penang?
    Thanks
    Yes you did ask before and I forgot, apologies for being so remiss!
    Try and find out for you Pilgrim——— late seventies and well into the eighties from memory——- but that’s shot to pieces, Mark and Parkinson both have better grey cells.
    When OMC and the V8 series went into meltdown——- SAN Germano and Velden had nowhere to go——- FONDA was the only show in town, so with the help of Rolf Frohling and some devious UIM dealings they took over the old Fonda series and all the worldwide venues we had created.

Page 549 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 49 449 499 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 599 649 1049 ... LastLast