Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks once again Crisis—- see what I mean about having time for other things besides boats once you’ve retired—- ?
    Do have a couple of things in mind to fernagle when I get back.
    Scotty B’s Silver Ghost is all done and dusted, So’s my daughter SAMS—— and Gary Stray’s !
    Now if I can put in a bit of overtime before I leave for Tavares,I might finish the Old farts one !

Lousy weather here, cold, wet and miserable—— chucking it down with rain—looking forward to airing the old “stand up ons “once again this year.
    Was going to surprise you all with my Clarke Gable Knashers—- was not to be—- finished product looked like an advert for tooth post for camels—— I was very polite—- declined the damned things — suggesting they try again on my return !!!!
    Youll all have to do with just my Betty Davis eyes and cranky caustic comments for a couple of days!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nearly there—- managed to keep away the bugs—— fit and well at the minute——body full of anti-biotics—- blood thinners— gout cure, Statins and diabetic defusers. Apart from that and the fact I woke up again this morning, alls well with the world.
    Daughter SAm did me an upgrade . I will be turning left at the top of the stairs and I can take 2x20kilo cases on board. Which means I can bring along a couple of “ CONCEPTS”.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2F91F396-61F2-463A-ACC9-BB82FE634FB4.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	398.8 KB 
ID:	452412Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DC57F357-C1C9-445A-9857-0A1858180D91.jpeg 
Views:	8 
Size:	347.7 KB 
ID:	452413Click image for larger version. 

Name:	108BF462-2983-4692-9CE0-DAEA878CEEBC.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	452414Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13651CFF-4CC9-47F9-94F1-9995C8C29842.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	288.8 KB 
ID:	452415Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B1A6AF3B-8745-4A5E-A841-79833C5DF0FB.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	299.0 KB 
ID:	452416Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5AC1D830-99B0-45BA-983B-BFC36ADE3F4A.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	452417

Doing a “Lasse”—— not sure which of Parky’s piccies you’ve seen, so I’ll post the lot this time!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	2F91F396-61F2-463A-ACC9-BB82FE634FB4.jpeg 
Views:	133 
Size:	398.8 KB 
ID:	452423

Name:	5AC1D830-99B0-45BA-983B-BFC36ADE3F4A.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	219.6 KB 
ID:	452424

Name:	108BF462-2983-4692-9CE0-DAEA878CEEBC.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	250.2 KB 
ID:	452425

Name:	13651CFF-4CC9-47F9-94F1-9995C8C29842.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	288.8 KB 
ID:	452426

Name:	B1A6AF3B-8745-4A5E-A841-79833C5DF0FB.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	299.0 KB 
ID:	452427

Name:	DC57F357-C1C9-445A-9857-0A1858180D91.jpeg 
Views:	132 
Size:	347.7 KB 
ID:	452428
    I CAN ALWAYS MAKE ANOTHER DOLLAR, BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANOTHER DAY

5. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	9D58850E-F016-4531-8EDB-AD7423A0CEC9.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	420.9 KB 
ID:	452430Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C41CB711-5E23-4AEC-99B4-E25A4C81E8FD.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	452431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CC165C28-DF17-42D4-ACD2-4C2DFE420FE7.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	452432

Picture three is Ralph Frohling of the UIM——- he had bugger all to do with FONDA or the series—- or the Abu Dhabi race. Parkinson fought off his advances for years——- a useless individual and a liar to boot. David still won’t say a bad word about him——- but I have no such reservations—— the death of John Hill was a direct result of Frohling interfering in the running of a well run series!

7. Likes powerabout liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:	9D58850E-F016-4531-8EDB-AD7423A0CEC9.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	382.5 KB 
ID:	452462

Name:	C41CB711-5E23-4AEC-99B4-E25A4C81E8FD.jpeg 
Views:	131 
Size:	301.9 KB 
ID:	452463

Name:	CC165C28-DF17-42D4-ACD2-4C2DFE420FE7.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	285.0 KB 
ID:	452464

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a side note Jackie, Wilson Composites has gone way outside the box as far as composites. Amazing stuff that they are doing there.

https://www.facebook.com/Wilsoncustomcomposites/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    On a side note Jackie, Wilson Composites has gone way outside the box as far as composites. Amazing stuff that they are doing therehttps://www.facebook.com/Wilsoncustomcomposites/
    Mark was always looking for something new in the boat racing world.
    He designed lots of circuit power boats, both Vee bottom and tunnels. Worked with Hodges for many years, stayed with him far too long ( in my opinion) . Friends with all the Seebolds for years—- Grandpa—— Billy and Lynne—- Mike—- Timmy and little Billy.
    Worked in Switzerland with Phill Rolla for Ten years—— ran Seebolds — Molinari’s and Burgess.
    One of the most respected drivers in the world and friends with them all.
    Craig worked with him straight from school—- learned the prop business ( as much as anybody can— that hasn’t spent their whole life doing nothing else) but he learned the composite business. Went to Germany with another of my grandsons SIMON to find out about the composite trade—- from there WILSON COMPOSITES was born.
    Nothing can ever replace “Pedigree”.

11. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don Pruett why are you sitting here?

I am flying back to Florida out of Vegas, after Havasu (in the 1970's). The airplane is in the air, and its time for me to drain my radiator. So I walk to the rear of the fuselage where the restrooms are, and the stewardess lounge area.

And there siting in the stewardess jump-seat taking in the view, is Don Pruett. And I was caught off guard because, I did not know Don was on the airplane. And I said to Don, why are you seating back here. And he replied, that he was able to stretch out his legs which comforted his hip.

And now with your post Jackie, I will assume that the Havasu twin rig was the culprit to Pruett's hip problem. And regards to Don's fighting spirit, as you mention in your post. I kinda saw that in Como. It was after hours, and Don was leading some of us Mercury guys around looking for a good time. And I remember walking into one of the local nightclubs in Como, and our entrance had a very tough macho vibe to it. But fortunately the evening was a calm outing.

I still smile when I think of Don Pruett. And is that not one of the better ways to remember someone with a smile?

Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Was with PRUETT in Havasu when he decided he could fly the twin engine Molinari-----think it was the one Sirois had used the previous year-------Up and Away. He was ok with a fixed wing and Gyrocopters but a piss poor pilot in that particular craft. he tore his hip out and was airlifted back to Florida.
    Jim Hunt drove the wreck back to Florida with me as passenger as far as Texas, tried to tell him Molinaris do not fly well or for long distances.
    We left Orlando (was before he moved to Sarasota) some two weeks before Havasu. Picked the boat up in Oshkosh and did Route 66 clear across the USA .
    He got into a fight in Tocumcari with a real life cowboy after showing off his dancing skills to this poor mans Dolly Parton, he left the guy with a broken nose and no hard feelings. By the time we got to Flagstaff he'd spent all the gas money and took my last $100 bill to fill the tank up.
    Merton gave him a real hard time over that, so PRUETT just threw a skunk in his room, I never did get the $100 back.

Night Folks! MYGGWY.J.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a "kick in the head," but diffentely Kicks at Lake X.

It was not a “kick in the head,” but it happen to me twice.

Odell Lewis family and the Ridgell family lived on the western boundary of Lake X property (not on the Lake). Lewis family never lived on the Lakes’ waterfront like the Bakos, Ridgell and other families did in the 1960’s. In the late 1960’s there was no more families (and I think bachelors too) living down by the lake.

So its probably around 1968 -1969 time frame, and Odell and Mona Lou (named boats after her) just finished riding their horses. So they were cooling off the horses and were about to feed the horses grain (which they love to eat, after eating grass all day long). And we did this same routine with our family horse too.

So Mona Lou (Odell’s wife) asked me if I wanted to ride the Palomino gelding. I have never ridden their horse before, but I gladly took up the offer. So I got up on the gelding, and I found out the timing was bad. Why, because this horse wanted the desired grain mixture to eat, not to go trotting again with another person on his back.

So I take the reins and turn the horse out toward the grass field, and then its rodeo time!!! Ten feet from the feeding trough and, it becomes bareback riding for me. The horse rises up and starts bucking, and now I know he is hungry and wants to eat. So after riding several bucking kicks, I use one of his upward thrust as a dismount ejection. And then land on my feet, and immediately the horse calms down. And now he gets to eat.

I think Odell had already gone into his house, and did not witness my acrobatic dismount on one of his horses. The second Kick no one witness. The approximate seven acre field had some oak trees in the north section. Which I climbed and they had a lot of moss hanging from those trees. So I am in one of the trees, and Odell had a couple of Brahma steers (that I think he was going to put in his freezer later).

to be continued...

Post 1757.
    Many thanks to ALL the contributors for keeping this thread up and running.
    Youngsters who only heard of these "Legends" by reading the old comics or talking to the old farts who attend the OFF meetings will maybe get an insight into the characters, boats and motors of an age gone by.
    We should make it clear that all people, young and old alike are welcome. Just imagine at the end of this century being able to say to the grandchildren ----I once met Odell Lewis, Johnny Bakos and Bill Seebold------wouldn't that BE "A KICK IN THE HEAD".!

Thats it for today good night and God bless you all MYGGWY.J.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Again not "a kick in the head," but it was the Second Kick at Lake X.

I think Odell had already gone into his house, and did not witness my acrobatic dismount on one of his horses. The second Kick no one witness. The approximate seven acre field had some oak trees in the north section. Which I climbed and they had a lot of moss hanging from those trees. So I am in one of the trees, and Odell had a couple of Brahma steers (that I think he was going to put in his freezer later).

So I started ripping off some of the moss from the tree limbs, and throwing it down for the cows to eat. Now the bulls are directly under me, enjoying their meal of moss. The bulls have their heads down eating moss. I then hung down from one the limbs. And the stars lined up, because directly a foot beneath my dangling feet is one the munching bulls.

I let go of the tree branch and its rodeo time again!!! And the identical same thing happens again with the bull as it did with the horse. (But I think the time frame was, I first rode or tried to ride Odell’s bull before I got on his horse). Needless to say the bull was surprised or really shocked, that something landed on his back. And his bucking instincts went into survival mode. And after I dismounted all was okay between the bull and me.

And in professional bull riding it’s a success to stay on for 8 seconds. I think on both accounts I succeeded. And to this day I do not think Odell Lewis knows, about my encounters riding his horse and bull. It was a real Kick in the rear.
    Yee Haw !!!

Post 1757:
    Many thanks to ALL the contributors for keeping this thread up and running.
    Youngsters who only heard of these "Legends" by reading the old comics or talking to the old farts who attend the OFF meetings will maybe get an insight into the characters, boats and motors of an age gone by.
    We should make it clear that all people, young and old alike are welcome. Just imagine at the end of this century being able to say to the grandchildren ----I once met Odell Lewis, Johnny Bakos and Bill Seebold------wouldn't that BE "A KICK IN THE HEAD".!

Thats it for today good night and God bless you all MYGGWY.J.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    It was not a “kick in the head,” but it happen to me twice.

Odell Lewis family and the Ridgell family lived on the western boundary of Lake X property (not on the Lake). Lewis family never lived on the Lakes’ waterfront like the Bakos, Ridgell and other families did in the 1960’s. In the late 1960’s there was no more families (and I think bachelors too) living down by the lake.

So its probably around 1968 -1969 time frame, and Odell and Mona Lou (named boats after her) just finished riding their horses. So they were cooling off the horses and were about to feed the horses grain (which they love to eat, after eating grass all day long). And we did this same routine with our family horse too.

So Mona Lou (Odell’s wife) asked me if I wanted to ride the Palomino gelding. I have never ridden their horse before, but I gladly took up the offer. So I got up on the gelding, and I found out the timing was bad. Why, because this horse wanted the desired grain mixture to eat, not to go trotting again with another person on his back.

So I take the reins and turn the horse out toward the grass field, and then its rodeo time!!! Ten feet from the feeding trough and, it becomes bareback riding for me. The horse rises up and starts bucking, and now I know he is hungry and wants to eat. So after riding several bucking kicks, I use one of his upward thrust as a dismount ejection. And then land on my feet, and immediately the horse calms down. And now he gets to eat.

to be continued...

Post 1757.
    Now you’re cooking with gas MR Ridgell——this is what I hoped people would do, recount what they did, when they did it, how they did it and who they did it with, I’m figuring you must be one of Roy’s boys. You and mum and dad lived in the palatial house on Lake Como—— right next door to the Torriggia factory’s——- regular deliveries of Mercury spare parts and your mums supply of ten cases of COCA COLA every week. If you were there now, you would have GEORGE Clooney for a neighbor.

Pruett was a lot more than just a friend—— I got to know him from Isle Des Embiez when he was racing offshore.
    Got to know more folk through him than any other person I ever met. The whole OMC team and management—— dined out with Pruett —- CHARLIE and Anne Strang.
    Merrick Lewis—- Bob Mc Cullough —— SIROIS—- RON Hill—- Jimbo— Nordskog and Ted May —— Brett May—- Sanders and Posey—- DeWitt—- Leek and a hundred more.
    Pruett knew everybody—- and everybody knew Pruett—— He could go through money faster than Michael Jackson——— finish a 32oz T Bone steak, and still ask for a pudding—— start a fight in a locked and bolted empty room—— smoke two packs of CAMELS a day without coughing his guts up
    Sell boats from the bottom of the ocean—— and still manage to be a total dumb asse without really trying. But just like me, everybody loved Billy Don !

as you say———- to be continued!!!
    Your dad was one of Mercury’s finest ambassadors—— and the only one that Re—- nato had time for— he ran rings round Bill Steele—— .
    First time I met your old man—- he was with Joe Swift—— I had just pulled the Torrigia all the way from Como to London—— the pair of them wanted to know what it was all about.
    I managed a full 360 turn over but carried on racing—- I did like to make an impression in those days.
    Andy Elliot recently posted a series of five pictures on Facebook of the whole thing.

16. Likes Lake X Kid liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tuesday morning—— shop closed for a couple of weeks—- got three of the Rollers in one suitcase and just one boat in the other.
    Scotty B’s and Gary Stray’s ROLLS ROYCE SILVER GHOST’S are not for sale—— the OFF roller is for sale—-it will be at Tavares!
    So will I on Thursday sometime —- or maybe Friday!
    Going to Daytona to watch a few of the 1500 classic vintage cars performing round the famous track on Wednesday—- should be interesting.
    Flying Norwegianair out of Gatwick this afternoon—— turning left whats more—- can’t face “cattle class” at my time of life.
    Wonder if Lake X Kid will be at the old farts meeting ? Mark says Richie Powers doesn’t think he’s old enough to qualify as an old fart——- Niether do i Rich, but I still turn up!
    See you at PUDDLE JUMPERS ,!
    Last edited by jackiewilson; 11-12-2019 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Mistake

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tried for a good nights sleep at the HYATT inside the Orlando airport complex—- was not to be—-simply too tired to sleep, but I made it to Orlando !

19. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...Welcome to America Pilgrim!...

21. Thanks GENE LANHAM thanked for this post
Page 723 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 223 623 673 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 773 823 1223 ... LastLast