Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob V View Post

Jackie...The Sasquatch that is hanging upside down in Clearwater's Quaker Steak and Lube is the real original Sasquatch that was raced.

Now this may solve the mystery of Mitch Lembke's V-12 Silverwing. The post below is from December 2015. From the information it would appear that, unfortunately, the boat is not what it once was. As the saying goes, "they are only original once."

Originally Posted by Rayzor
    The Silverwing my buddy has is Mitch Lembke's old Lamp Post Pizza ET boat that ran the Lamborghini V12 small block. It looks different now, with a lid on it and all primer.......

Sasquatch was probably the best looking capsuled Silverwing ever raced. It ran a BBC.

Sorry Bob, but the Red Sasquatch is the later model Plastic boat—— the “ORIGINAL” is the wooden Seebold with the V12 Jaguar——- not a Lamborghini!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice sunset photo..."It's A Deusy"...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob V View Post
    Yes, I know that the Sasquatch, ET 80, is a later model fiberglass Silverwing. It is the one that was owned by Art Williams and driven by Greg Foster in 1994 to win the Parker 500. The one that I believe you are looking for is the ET79 that was owned by the Lembke's. That boat was known as the Lamp Post Pizza boat, not Sasquatch. There was only one Silverwing Sasquatch and that is the ET 80 that Art Williams owned. The ET 79 is the wooden boat with the V-12. The post I left you from Rayzor (see below) mistakenly identified the power as a Lamborghini V-12, but it was actually a Jaguar V-12. We know that.

The Silverwing my buddy has is Mitch Lembke's old Lamp Post Pizza ET boat that ran the Lamborghini V12 small block. It looks different now, with a lid on it and all primer.......

Nevertheless, it verifies what I had been told years ago that the ET 79 was sold by the Lembke family after the accident that killed Mitch and his father. Apparently Rayzor's buddy is the one that purchased it. If you can find Rayzor, you can probably find the boat, assuming it is still intact. Someone reading this probably knows Rayzor

If you are looking for a Silverwing other than the ET 79, I do not have a clue.

Attachment 456759
    Now you’re cooking with gas Bob. —— we are all singing from the same sheet!

Where and who is “RAYZOR” ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie, you can PM him on here. He uses the sign on name of RAYZOR.
    I CAN ALWAYS MAKE ANOTHER DOLLAR, BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANOTHER DAY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    nice sunset photo..."It's A Deusy"...
    Was talking to a friend of mine in Colorado—— didn’t know where the term “ Its a Deusey” came from , I had two ITS A DUESEY boats numbers one and two !
    Of course all the old farts will know exact where it originates!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Jackie, you can PM him on here. He uses the sign on name of RAYZOR.
    Didsend him a PM—- let’s wait and see ?

7. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rayzor is still around. He has been posting over on OSO lately with a thread about the history of the 46 Skater hulls. He just purchased the US1 46 Skater and is in the process of getting it back on the water.
    I CAN ALWAYS MAKE ANOTHER DOLLAR, BUT I CANNOT MAKE ANOTHER DAY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Rayzor is still around. He has been posting over on OSO lately with a thread about the history of the 46 Skater hulls. He just purchased the US1 46 Skater and is in the process of getting it back on the water.
    That means he’s alive and well, firing on all cylinders——- and if he’s just purchased a Skater 46— he’s nutty as a fruit cake and one of us !

10. Likes AZMIDLYF liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steven Ridgell assists his Dad in quality control test of Mercury bass boats.

Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    That means he’s alive and well, firing on all cylinders——- and if he’s just purchased a Skater 46— he’s nutty as a fruit cake and one of us !
    To those of us running slower than a "Skater 46", I would like to reminiscence about an episode decades ago.

Chattanooga Tennessee around May 1987 and the weather is inviting. It’s an invitational bass tournament and Mercury is the host sponsor. There are at least 40 to 50 (maybe more I do not recall exactly) identical bass boats for the invited fishermen to compete in.

I am on vacation from work in California, and I come by to help dad and Leroy test the boats. One does not realize how long it takes to unload and check gauges, trolling motor and engine on the water, when dealing with so many boats.

Good timing for me, the second day a Merc engineer from Wisconsin arrives, and wants to test boats for the upcoming weekend bass tournament. I tell dad later today, I am heading north to attend the Indy 500 time trials. And therefore I do not want to get my hands dirty (everything on these boats were new & clean) and I was not going to operate anymore 70 mph +, bass boats today.

Side note the Indy 500 time trails for pole position, was still drawing over 200, 000 spectators for the event. And in the 1987 infield I was among the masses enjoying the race atmosphere. Now back to Chattanooga.

Varoom!!! – agh… Varoom!!! – agh… Varoom!!! – aagghh…
    To be continued.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black Max engines, Bass tournament & Dad's truck...jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	290.3 KB 
ID:	456799

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A young Mercury engineer finds application a teaching moment.

Is there something wrong with that brand new Merc engine?
    Of course not the engines I test drove the previous day were flawless. Then what is the young Mercury engineer doing or not doing. He and I were in the same age bracket, but I do not recall his name.

Dad and I are standing on the park’s parking lot where all the bass boats are in symmetrical aligned rows. And we look back down at the boat ramp area, where we hear an engine revving repeatedly, but going nowhere.

And the engine noise subsides with the unaccomplished task. Now Roy Ridgell and I both correctly assess the problem. The engine is fine and healthy; but the driver is new to the seat. Dad thought it a little humorous, and I felt empathy for a learned guy, but a novice at hands on application.
    Finally after an embarrassment of delay, the engineer changed his tacit, and found and utilized the engine trim button. Eureka! Getting on plane is made easier. In my opinion one of the top five innovations for the motor boat industry —engine power trim.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post
    To those of us running slower than a "Skater 46", I would like to reminiscence about an episode decades ago.

Chattanooga Tennessee around May 1987 and the weather is inviting. It’s an invitational bass tournament and Mercury is the host sponsor. There are at least 40 to 50 (maybe more I do not recall exactly) identical bass boats for the invited fishermen to compete in.

I am on vacation from work in California, and I come by to help dad and Leroy test the boats. One does not realize how long it takes to unload and check gauges, trolling motor and engine on the water, when dealing with so many boats.

Good timing for me, the second day a Merc engineer from Wisconsin arrives, and wants to test boats for the upcoming weekend bass tournament. I tell dad later today, I am heading north to attend the Indy 500 time trials. And therefore I do not want to get my hands dirty (everything on these boats were new & clean) and I was not going to operate anymore 70 mph +, bass boats today.

Side note the Indy 500 time trails for pole position, was still drawing over 200, 000 spectators for the event. And in the 1987 infield I was among the masses enjoying the race atmosphere. Now back to Chattanooga.

To be continued.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Black Max engines, Bass tournament & Dad's truck...jpg 
Views:	301 
Size:	290.3 KB 
ID:	456799
    Roy does not look at all well in that picture—— I also knew after he left Europe he was in charge of “BASS TOURNAMENTS” —— he told me the prize money was “ Astronomical “.!
    Thanks for using the Tricks thread——- I was always a “Black” man—- never once wavered!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lake X Kid View Post

Is there something wrong with that brand new Merc engine?
    Of course not the engines I test drove the previous day were flawless. Then what is the young Mercury engineer doing or not doing. He and I were in the same age bracket, but I do not recall his name.

Dad and I are standing on the park’s parking lot where all the bass boats are in symmetrical aligned rows. And we look back down at the boat ramp area, where we hear an engine revving repeatedly, but going nowhere.

And the engine noise subsides with the unaccomplished task. Now Roy Ridgell and I both correctly assess the problem. The engine is fine and healthy; but the driver is new to the seat. Dad thought it a little humorous, and I felt empathy for a learned guy, but a novice at hands on application.
    Finally after an embarrassment of delay, the engineer changed his tacit, and found and utilized the engine trim button. Eureka! Getting on plane is made easier. In my opinion one of the top five innovations for the motor boat industry —engine power trim.
    First trim I ever saw was around 1966/67 at the Idroscala in Milan .
    Bob Spalding and me were there with a tiny 16’ Schultze and a 1000 BP. That ROY, Don Ross and me had got really buzzing.
    Deiter Schultze was there with his 18’ and a 1250 BP fitted with POWER TRIM ????
    Renato protested UNFAIR advantage——— the ITALIAN Federation stepped in and said he could race if the power trim was disconnected!!
    I agree with you Steve—— Power trim made a bigger impact than the power lift ever did!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah well Steve, don’t look like many of the old farts are particularly interested in “Power Trim”——- I suppose FAMILIARITY BREEDS CONTEMPT!
    RAYZOR never answered the PM I sent either——— somedays you eat bear !!!!
    Did manage some new straphangers for the springs on the latest ROLLER !
    See if I can post a piccie tomorrow of the underside of a Rolls Royce Silver Ghost. Hell of a lot more to it than would at first seem apparent .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    First trim I ever saw was around 1966/67 at the Idroscala in Milan .
    Bob Spalding and me were there with a tiny 16’ Schultze and a 1000 BP. That ROY, Don Ross and me had got really buzzing.
    Deiter Schultze was there with his 18’ and a 1250 BP fitted with POWER TRIM ????
    Renato protested UNFAIR advantage——— the ITALIAN Federation stepped in and said he could race if the power trim was disconnected!!
    I agree with you Steve—— Power trim made a bigger impact than the power lift ever did!
    Bob got that 16ft schultz in 1969 along with a 1000sbp engine the first time I saw power trim being used was the 1969 Paris 6 hr race and only Molinari had it on his green Miss Titti boat.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by STEVERINO View Post
    Bob got that 16ft schultz in 1969 along with a 1000sbp engine the first time I saw power trim being used was the 1969 Paris 6 hr race and only Molinari had it on his green Miss Titti boat.
    I bought the little SCHULTZE to put a 65hp Koenig on its bum—— But Dieter Koenig was slow in delivering it to Paddy Rolfe ( Koenig UK distributed)——- but I did have a 1000 BP that had just been delivered, so I stuck it on the transom——- went like sh-t ofn a Teflon coated shovel .
    Don Ross—— Bob and me decided to race it in the first big race of the season in Milan,
    Renato never did build another 18’ boat after he saw that one and the way it went.

The build up to the race and the race itself is a saga in its own right—— one day I might get around to telling it.

Page 753 of 1251 FirstFirst ... 253 653 703 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 803 853 ... LastLast