Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fill us in on what model length and what motor u puttin together for it. She looks purdier than a litter of speckled hound pups
    Laser 1550 ...under construction with a serious weight loss
    Motor 2.4....undecided on hp yet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1deviant View Post
    Nice build...looks great. Sorry about your loss.
    What size is that?

Did you use Imron or Awlgrip?
    If so what made you go with that decision?
    If you did not go that route...what me you go with that decision of using regular auto paint?
    Thanks

Thanks 1Deviant. It is a 1977 Cobra 17 foot long. I used Urethane 1) because my finances wouldn't permit Imron nor did I have the facilities to paint it safely and 2) the paint supply shop where my friend gets his materials for his sign shop recommended the Urethane and said it was 'as hard as woodpecker lips' when cured. I have a few friends who paint cars and have lots of experience painting boats and they all agreed that since the boat didn't stay in the water all year that for my situation the Urethane would be suited perfectly.

Slimm
    Hire the handicapped, we're fun to watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olboatman View Post
    Great Questions! I'm also very sorry about your friend. I'm sure he would be very proud (happy) with your project. Keep up the GREAT job! Gary

Thanks olboatman, I know he would be thrilled. We raced cars together since high school. He had a mid 80's Bullet that was identical to my boat and he had an old Merc 1500 with nitrous on it, topped it out at 80mph. We were speaking over Thanksgiving holiday about my boat and he just couldn't wait for summer so he could try it out. Now I like to think he will be with me every time I head out.

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
    Fill us in on what model length and what motor u puttin together for it. She looks purdier than a litter of speckled hound pups

1FASTLASER it is a 1977 Cobra Phantom. The gauge cluster on top of the dash is not factory, I made and molded it into the dash so I could easily see my tach and water pressure. I also think it gives the boat a more current look to it. I had a 1974 Merc 1500 on it last year and am in the process of building a 2003 Merc 2.5 carb engine for it. Swapping to old style heads with gaskets, all new internals along with some grinding and stuffing to make it breathe better and more efficiently. I am keeping the factory electronics for now until I get used to the boat with this new engine and get it broken in. I will switch to a different ignition later on that will let me take it upstairs where they make that real pretty sound.

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunshine !

Out of the paint booth and into the sun. Time to start putting things back together. I can't say enough how much I love this blue, the pics don't show the pearl or do the color any real justice.

Spent the day in TN yesterday getting the engine work done. Big super thanks to wrechin2 for his hospitality, craftsmanship and eagerness to share with me everything he was doing and how each change would affect how the engine would respond and perform.

Now to work on a setback for the jackplate so I can get that ordered.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140223_113940.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	316.5 KB 
ID:	292949Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140223_113856.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	273.2 KB 
ID:	292950Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140223_113842.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	249.8 KB 
ID:	292951Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140223_113821.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	314.8 KB 
ID:	292952Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140223_113831.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	273.9 KB 
ID:	292953

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ya did good! Very nice.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by outasite View Post
    Ya did good! Very nice.

Thank you so much, I have only ever had raggedy old Jon Boats and am so excited to have this boat. I love tinkering on them and doing almost all of the work myself was great fun (mostly) and definitely a learning experience that I will never forget.

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks great, love the color!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WooHoo progress!

Stayed a little late at the shop trying to get a new dash and front step panel made up. Kirby with Dillehay Street showed up and helped fine tune a couple areas I was having trouble with on the dash panel so I made him laugh a little while he knocked out a lettering job before the rain settled in on him. When he left I got busy on the front step panel. There used to be a big hole in this area where a door used to be that allowed storage under the front deck. With some help from an old friend, last spring I molded in a lid from another boat for top side access and didn't need the ugly hole on the front so I made a nice clean panel.

P.S. I am mighty tired boss, dog tired...

Name:	20140311_235012.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	255.2 KB 
ID:	294153Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140311_234921.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	270.4 KB 
ID:	294154Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140311_234857.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	224.0 KB 
ID:	294155Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140311_234932.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	240.2 KB 
ID:	294156

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update!

Got the dash panel finished up tonight. Had to fine tune the holes for the gauges in the sheet metal and the wood dash behind it. Also had to locate and drill a hole for the new key switch, then fine tune it for a nice snug fit. Once that was done I killed the shiny aluminum with some scotch-brite. Then I had to flush mount the safety kill switch, which was a chore in itself since this year boat didn't come with one.
    All in all I think it was a fairly productive evening. Hopefully my head gaskets arrive in the next day or so along with my cylinder head temperature gauges then I can button up the dash AND install heads then mount the powerhead. Once that is done I think it will be all down hill....mostly....hopefully.

Slimm

Name:	20140318_213417.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	202.1 KB 
ID:	294512Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140318_213631.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	174.2 KB 
ID:	294513

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    stunning boat, really nice colour i love the pod really nice work well done looking forward to see pics of motor on
    ​BERNICO RULES

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cossie69 View Post
    stunning boat, really nice colour i love the pod really nice work well done looking forward to see pics of motor on

Thank you cossie69. I have the engine assembled minus the heads, been waiting on head gaskets and the new Chris Carson Reeds. Head gaskets just arrived. Gonna try to get it buttoned up and mounted tonight or this weekend.

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Progress update

It has been a while since I posted anything new so I thought I would take a minute to post something for those interested as well as myself. I have been sick the last week or so and not up to doing much. I decided to order new thermostats and two heat sensors because I hate to think of cooking this new toy due to an old thermostat or faulty sensor. It took three weeks for them to arrive but they did show up this morning.

While waiting on those to arrive I decided to strip the boat of all wiring and start fresh so I could do my own wiring since I am kinda particular. I ran all new wires with different colors for everything like it should have been in the first place. I installed a 12 circuit fuse panel with integrated ground circuit. I got all those wires ran and tidied up along with my rigging kit cut to length and all the cables, wires and fuel line ran through it. I got my LED navigation lights from Blue Water LED installed in the rub rail and wired in. I got all the brackets, hoses and wiring routed on the powerhead. I made a new switch panel for the front where the trolling motor is and the dash panel is complete with the exception of painting it silver. I was going to leave it all brushed aluminum but I happened to pull it out of the shop one really sunny day so I could work on a customers car and noticed the dash looking awful shiny. I went out to check it out and the sun was reflecting so strong off the dash that I couldn't even read the gauges and I just cant have that shining back in my face so I am going to paint the three panels I made silver like the stripe on the side.

As soon as I get my reeds from Chris I will button the front half up and prepare it to start. I still have to assemble my lower unit after I get my nose cone installed and then the only thing I have to do is lay my carpet in the main floor and finish painting and installing my deck lids. I should have done them already but after all the work priming and painting the hull I wanted to take a break on sanding and painting for a while..lol

Anyways, that is where I stand now. I will snap a couple pics when I get caught up here at the shop and toss them on here later.

Slimm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Brother---- Sounds like you got her under control! Ben watchin since you started this thread and you have really put your hart and sole into her. Keep up the great work and please keep us informed. Gary
    "12" Super Lite Tunnel (11') "88" 25 Yammy twin carb "BANANA SPLIT"
    "77" Hydrostream Viper "87" 140 Rude heavy modded w/15" mid, Bobs nose and lwp "DANGER ZONE"
    "72" Checkmate MX-13 "80" 75 Rude w/15"mid and Nitro Lu (to be restored)

"Too much is never enough" Keith Richards " Dreams become reality via hard work and perseverance" G.A.Carbonneau

"This coming from an old man that strapped two bananas together, hung a motor on it and calls it a boat" XstreamVking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by olboatman View Post
    Hey Brother---- Sounds like you got her under control! Ben watchin since you started this thread and you have really put your hart and sole into her. Keep up the great work and please keep us informed. Gary

Thank you friend, I have indeed put a lot of work into this thing. And I have done it 99% alone...seems all the friends I helped with their projects always have something to do when it comes time to help me out. But that is ok I like doing things a certain way and the more I do myself the more I learn. I love love LOVE the engine work and tuning on these things and I cannot wait to hear it fire the first time. I am going to video it so I can share it, I think this thing should sound pretty nasty and hopefully really haul the mail when I call on the throttle. I have a list of hot chicks wanting to ride with me that is almost two pages so I am eager to get some bikini pics on here when the time comes also..lol
    '

Slimm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast