Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hydrostream vixen setup for drag racing

hello i just picked up a hydrostream vixen that Im going to try and drag race this year. Im going to put my sst60 motor with a 50hp shot of nitrous. im going to use a manual jackplate and old school style cable steering. this boat will be center steer and light. I was wondering on what kind of props work best, motor height? also what can i expect to see for speed, im looking to hit 80mph. is it possible? any info would be awesome thank you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Vixen with a SST60 outboard will easily run well into the 70s, and 80 would be possible with good setup and prop work and a talented driver. The engine height will depend on your weight, carried load and setup, but generally the propeller shaft will be even with to slightly above the pad. For drag racing, you will have to experiment quite a bit with propellers. These engines were designed to run on tunnel hulls, using a 12-1/2"x23" over-hub cleaver. These props are still available from Joe McCauley of Texas, who I'm pretty sure is a member here. Other than that, you should contact Ron Hill Propellers in California, who can and will make you just about anything you need for that engine.

John

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can drive the boat. i have pushed alot of boats fast that seem crazy. i weigh 135lbs only. hull is completely redone and lighter. i have a 12.5x23 cleaver. that i spin 8500-8700rpm. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2754_zps516e4852.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	290581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	416f0cc2.jpeg 
Views:	145 
Size:	144.2 KB 
ID:	290582

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I was wondering what you were up to...been a while since I've seen you around....
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sonik.. Always liked your siggy pic. That boat is flyin right. Hydrostreamcrazie give Mr Demeanor a holler. He should be able to offer some advice on tiny botes at high speeds
    Last edited by 1FASTLASER; 01-18-2014 at 03:08 PM.
    Laser 1550 ...under construction with a serious weight loss
    Motor 2.4....undecided on hp yet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to see ya goin back to a stream Paul! Should be crazy, right up your alley! See ya at Three Lakes!
    Larry Gempp Jr.

Proud HydroStream Powertour Member

Lots of past boats - 2024 22 Liberator - 450R

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a 150 xs on mine. "Exciting" is a bit of an understatement. They are the most fun with a 3 cyl OMC or 85 merc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    I had a 150 xs on mine. "Exciting" is a bit of an understatement. They are the most fun with a 3 cyl OMC or 85 merc.
    I've got an 87 with 1975 135 on it. I'm pretty sure I'm even with the bottom of the hull and it wasn't doing over about 45 last time I was out. I'm going to have to play with it this summer because I know I should be getting way more than that out of her. Very fun boat so long as the water is dead calm. White caps? Fuggedaboudit.

Ben

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a 1975 135hp is nothing compared to an sst60 engine.
    the sst will rev nearly double and the power is going to be more at the prop than the 135 that was crank rated.
    some of the sst60 engines are crazy for power, most kick out 90 plus hp and some well over 100 when pout on a dyno.
    they weigh half the weight too.

and what prop has the 135 on it ? that needs a 13 3/4 x 23 over hub to get it performing, the omc silver streak/srx is the prop for the old v4 engines.
    then the 135 should hit 50

phill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phillnjack View Post
    a 1975 135hp is nothing compared to an sst60 engine.
    the sst will rev nearly double and the power is going to be more at the prop than the 135 that was crank rated.
    some of the sst60 engines are crazy for power, most kick out 90 plus hp and some well over 100 when pout on a dyno.
    they weigh half the weight too.

and what prop has the 135 on it ? that needs a 13 3/4 x 23 over hub to get it performing, the omc silver streak/srx is the prop for the old v4 engines.
    then the 135 should hit 50

phill
    Oh I wasn't expecting my motor to be anything amazing. It's an old heavy fishing motor which probably puts out what? Between 105-110 actual horse power if I'm lucky? 50 is all you'd expect though eh? There were folks on a hydrostream run with a similar v4 (I think it was a 115) and that was taking off pretty damn quickly. I was definitely the slowest stream of the bunch. I would expect with a lighter, smaller boat I'd be getting more out of it. I know it's a stiletto raker prop on there right now. I believe it's a 21p and I don't know the diameter. Thanks for the prop recommendation though. I'll certainly look into it as I'd love to have the optimum prop. Any other suggestions?

Ben