Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question coatings again

hi guys i want to coat or paint the bottom of my boat what stays on the bottom of the boat and makes it go faster at the same time?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy painting the bottom

what's the deal?
    i've ask this question twice before and got no answer. what is the correct procedure in painting the bottom of a boat as far paint to use? how fine of sandpaper ect.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well....

Since noone else has answered this I'll tell you how I do it. AwlGrip is the best paint to use if it is not going to be sitting in the water all the time and you only want to paint it one color. I final sand mine with 320 and then spray it with a good laquer primer/sealer before painting.

------------'82 Vector - Mercury 2.4 Bridgeport "MOD"
    "Life is short - Get there fast...MERCURY"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mike thanks for the info. i am guessing i can get Awlgrip at a boat or body shop?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Painting a boat bottom depends on what your doin with it, to my knowledge there is not a paint made that will withstand constant immersion (boat stored in water) and still stay on the bottom of your boat.
    The only paint I would consider is a HIGH QUALITY polyurathane, PPG (delthane), Awlgrip, Imron, and the like. There are some other high solids paints made by Dexter Aerospace but they are cost prohibitive. ($900-$1500 per gallon kit)
    Paint durability depends probably more on surface preparation than the paint itself. you could shoot the worlds greatest paint on your boat and if it aint prepped right it WILL come off.
    I would sand the entire surface you wish to paint with at least 180 grit to remove all the surface contaminates. 180 will give the primer sealer a good base to adhere to.
    Follow the manufacturers reccomended procedures. Most will have a specific procedure to follow, and even recommend specific grits to use for best results, if they dont then bug the guy you bought the paint from or call the companys tech line, most will probably be willing to help.
    Once you have chosen a manufacturer or paint brand I recommend useing all of the same brand products for the whole job, it will remove one more possible problem along the way (product compatibility) and give a good quality finish.
    Good luck
    Wile E. Coyote: (acceleratus vulgaris)

Its amazing how heavy a GPS can be.....