Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hard Time Selling Boat

Is it just me or is it just hard to sell a boat this day in age. Its crazy with all the tire kickers wasting your time and the economy is shibby. Anyone have any good selling tips?
    Will

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not the greatest time to be selling after January should pick up unless you want to sell real cheap or it is priced to high to begin with.Tire kickers that's another story..

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have a 50% off sale. along with 90 days same as cash. and if you throw in a lifetime warranty. I think it will sell so fast that you may want to get in the boat business.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by davemvegas View Post
    have a 50% off sale. along with 90 days same as cash. and if you throw in a lifetime warranty. I think it will sell so fast that you may want to get in the boat business.
    HAHA, I may just give it away. Most people thiat inquire about it pretty much want 50% off. Its crazy!
    Will

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree not good times to sell a boat. I've been lucky on one and another I can't get a nibble.

Give you three guesses which one is the less expensive one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been dealing with the same crap. I get so many broke mfr's wasteing my time its rediculous. Smart azzes emailing me and texting me teling me im insane and that I'll never sell it for that or when im ready to drop the price in half to call them bla bla bla. Its like the dreamers get a fake sense of purchasing a boat they have no intention of buying by calling and asking about it. I dont get it. I would never call or text or email anyone unless i was ready to buy the damn thiung.
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been looking at STV but seems like there are some for sale that are around 20 years old that owners think they are worth more than they are, at least to me. Personally I cant justify that and would rather wait for a newer one with less time on it. (and spend more on it) A 20 year old boat is a 20 year old boat. If the deal was right I would consider them. Part of it might be that most do not have exactly what I am looking for. So just dont assume people do not have money they may be thinking to make it what they want will cost them X and they need to buy it at X to make it worth it to them.

Jim

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hot shot you hit it on the nail don't waste time till you have cash,i been all over the USA buying boats when you want it you go get it,but I have been burning out with age.lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have lost my ars selling restored boats that use to bring 6500 to less them 3 grand
    just like what rob is going though right now that boat is or was worth every bit of 65 and he cant get 38 its sad really the paint job we put on it alone was a trade out for some used engine parts valued at about half that and just the paint and primer alone was over a grand 2 gallon kits of 545 and 1 full gallon of awl craft plus the mix let alone glass and sand paper
    the paint work he is going to have jack do on the other one will cost him about what he is selling that one for to
    same with houses cars planes bikes yaks all of it has dropped and buyers are every where hunting for steal deals
    Last edited by afr; 12-26-2013 at 08:19 PM.

https://www.facebook.com/scott.steffe

Replacement Fiberglass Windshields For just about every hydrostream
    Fiberglass Seat Shells 18 wide high backs, 18 wide barrel backs and 23 wide big boy barrel backs

call 941-575-8914 with any questions

7 to 3pm 5 days a week
    Custom Fiberglass and Paint
    In Business since 1984

for sale

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I refuse to take a loss on anything I've busted my balls on. A buyer will come along sooner or later. Either someone wants it, or they don't. I'm sure as hell not sending anyone off boating on my dime and hard work.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This Chit starts at the top and ozzes down, the economy still blows and has been in the crapper for 5 years.. Unless you work for the Gov and it certain pockets of the country, nothing is any better and if it shows on paper it's artificial.... How do you think they pay for free crap people ? Redistribution ! It encompasses all aspects of life from your home to your toys.. Nothing is worth what it was..
    Variety of stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    . Most that say but it's a 20 year old boat blablabla. They want you to give them the $1000.00 gauges you put in, the $1000.00 hydraylic steering, jack plate, new interior, plumbing etc etc etc. Fluck Em. I'll let it ROT first.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Insane-o View Post
    I refuse to take a loss on anything I've busted my balls on. A buyer will come along sooner or later. Either someone wants it, or they don't. I'm sure as hell not sending anyone off boating on my dime and hard work.
    Bud Conner "Heathen" "Defending Our Constitution"

FOR ALL ENGINE APPLICATIONS
    DRY Film Lubricant for Piston Skirts & Cranks + Thermal Barrier Ceramic Coatings for Piston Tops, Combustion Chambers, Valves etc !!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There are so many factors when selling or buying an item, what ever it is your selling/buying!
    1- (seller) The most import factor...Do you need to sell?
    2- (Buyer) Do you have to have it! Is it something that is rare and you always wanted it!
    3- (seller) Are you pricing it to TODAY's market? Yes, today's market is much different!
    4- The 20 year theory IMPO, does NOT work on all item. For a quick example. I personally have a few boats and maybe I put 20hrs on one per year, not to mention that here in the North they only run 5 months per year. Also lets not forget how meticulously they maybe maintained and the top notch upkeep some provide!
    5- When an item is put for sale unfortunately you need to be prepared for the tire kickers, no way around it. Nature of the beast!!! The only thing you can do is try to get a good feel for a buyer before you let them come see it! I usually tell them, if you are not ready to spend X please let's not waste each other time and just to be perfectly clear, if you plan on offering below X it will not work so do not bother coming.
    6- Keep in mind (not for everyone) but a buyer with cash today is in the drivers seat!!!!

It is also unfortunate that we may over spend on building things (me included) we can not expect a buyer to pay for our mistakes. Not saying building right is a mistake (I would not do it any other way) but when we put more $ into an item that at the end of the day it is only worth X, yes, it is a mistake.
    I also agree, if you are in a position and can afford to wait for the right buyer by all means do so. Yes, they do exist. The more one can get for an item the better we will all benefit and it makes other buyers see things in a different way. There are also guys that do appreciate and are smart enough to realize it would cost them more than your asking price to build one like it and it would probably not be as good! JM2cents.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of the calls,texts and emails i get people ask me questions that are clearly answered by the very long and informative description ive posted. Its like they didnt even read the add and all the details of the boat to begin with. Every single person who has contacted me asks me first thing what the bottom dollar is I'll take for the boat. I tell all of them the same thing "im not going to negociate a lower price on the phone with you. When your standing in my driveway and lloking at the boat then maybe just maybe I'll consider less but only a fool would just start dropping the price for people who clearly are tire kickers and have zero percent chance they are comeing to look and perhaps buy. Then theres this one clown texting me saying "well theres another one on craigslist for $2300 why should I buy yours for more"? I said well then go buy that freaking boat then!!!!! I later looked it up and its not a 20 its an old beat up 18 thats half rigged,sitting on an old undersized galv rotten trailer,has some old crappy OMC that looks like it came from a grave yard and to be honest you couldnt give me that boat. And guess what!! That boat is still for sale so he didnt go buy it. Just had to waste ,my time being a dick.
    Last edited by Hot Shot Merc; 12-27-2013 at 08:34 AM.
    Rob Lankford

1988 20' Action Marine 2.4 200

Previous owned boats worth mentioning

1976 17' Action Marine 2.4 200
    1984 20' Action Marine 2.5 200
    1983 17' Hydrostream V-King 2.4 Bridgeport
    2003 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280 /300 Drag
    2005 LPB STV RR COPY 2.5 280
    2005 Baja 23 Outlaw 6.2 Mercruiser
    2006 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 200 CARB/2.5 225 PROMAX
    2009 FTP Quarter Shot T3 Race 2.5 280

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Selling a snowmobile in July does not usually have good results. Quit bitchin and wait until spring.
    L.T.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast