Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Verado ECM upgrade and Simon Motorsports

I am repowering my boat with 250 Verados. I was curious about getting the ECM upgrade done from Simon Motorsports. They claim their upgrade can take any L6 Verado (225HP+) and have it turn over 300HP.

I was hoping someone here actually had this done and can post what their results where.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    from factory a 200,225,250 and 275 are a ecm mod but a 300 has a more than just the ecm

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There were two versions on the l6 verado gen 1 was from 06-07 then the gen 2 from 08 to present. The diff between both was a higher cam profile.. To allow for the 300 hp motor. As long as u have the gen 2 motor you should be able to flash the ecu for the 300 hp.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simon Motorsport Verado upgrade - ECO Enertia props

Quote Originally Posted by ucf_motorcycle View Post
    I am repowering my boat with 250 Verados. I was curious about getting the ECM upgrade done from Simon Motorsports. They claim their upgrade can take any L6 Verado (225HP+) and have it turn over 300HP.

I was hoping someone here actually had this done and can post what their results where.
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan2214 View Post
    thats a simple answer....to go faster,cruise at high speed and be more fuel efficient at cruise
    Add RANGE to those attributes which may be a bigger consideration, but we feel all these attributes can saves lives.

We operate a Protector 9M Fast Response/Rescue vessel (30' Rigid Inflatable Boat, 6700 lbs with 125 gal full fuel and water) with twin 2009 Verado 250's. Prior to modification, our most efficient cruise was 30 kts burning 17 gph at 3900 rpm with a top speed of 57 mph.

Simon motorsports modified the ECMs from 250 to 315 hp and we changed from the Mercury 14 5/8" x 21" pitch Revolution 4-blade prop to the new generation Eco Enertia 16" x 23" pitch 3-blade props. Both ECM and prop changes are reported to improve fuel economy. Generally Mercury recommends the same pitch transitioning to the Eco but with increased horsepower, we opted for more pitch to prevent red lining the motors. Max rpm at WOT prior to changes was 6100 rpm and is now 5900.

STOCK: 500 hp - Economy cruise 35 mph, 17 gph, 1.7 nmpg, 2 mpg; Max speed 57 mph

MODIFIED: 630 hp - Economy cruise 40 mph, 17 gph, 1.9 nmg, 2.2 mpg: Max speed 65 mph

Cruise increased 15% getting us there sooner at the same fuel burn of 17 gph total
    Range increased 12%
    Max speed increased 14%
    ROI on the cost of the ECM mods and props was 1 year with $2500/yr saved each year after.

Those are real numbers based on our last 2000 nm of operation but your numbers will vary with vessel weight, hull type, props, etc.

We would gladly have made the modifications without any of those improvements based on boat handling alone. The boat has n improvement in hole shot, literally levitating off the water with minimal bow rise, and virtually claws at the water like downforce on a race car. The handling improvement was nothing less than dramatic. It's all about handling with rescue boats that routinely go out in conditions none would venture. We now have better handling in rough conditions, surf conditions, better/tighter pivot turns crucial to safe rescue swimmer deployments and recoveries. These improvements far outweigh the engine numbers mentioned above, it saves lives.

See our "Nautii Girl" Protector providing medical and rescue support at "Thunder on the Beach" Super Boat races this weekend at Cocoa Beach, Florida.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Forgot to mention another benefit of the Simon Motorsport ECM upgrade and Mercury ECO prop upgrade. For a decrement of 1/10 of our old best economy mpg we've improved our cruise from 34 mph to 46 mph for a whopping increase of 35%.

Attached are photos of us providing rescue support to Thunder on the Beach Super Boat races at Cocoa Beach.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whipple superchargers also offers upgrade ecm package for mercury verado outboards