Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWTjr. View Post
    The gearcase in the photo is the "clubfoot" or standard gearcase for the KR-15m. As for the Doc Jones stacks, I don't really think they'd add much, if anything. The KR had a factory tuned exhaust pipe that was air cooled with cooling fins. The megaphone was carefully tuned for this engine as well, with a specific length, diameter and taper. I doubt the stacks would be worth more than a couple horsepower. John
    Thanks John. What WOT RPM would a 1975 Super Strangler or Stinger GP 8 pumper have been rated for?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parts book lists the fowling
    RPM range 6400-6800
    weight 267
    Transom height 22"
    Gear ratio 14:23 Std - 1:1 optional
    Bore and stroke 3.5 x 2.588
    Ring Gap upper .020-.022 lower .017-.020

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very cool information keith, thanks! If there is anyway to snap a photo of that information out of the book and post it that would be great. Here are three photos of what I believe to be KR15 Super Strangler race motors, named after Charlie Strang who I traded an email with last week. Two motors have the factory wing plate system in place as well. I am not familiar enough with the lower units to know if all three pictures show the "Clubfoot" 1.65 gear lower unit. Someone will know.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SV-2.jpg   EvinrudeSuperStrangler.jpg   KR15SuperStrangler.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The right and left photos show the engine with the clubfoot gearcase. The middle photo shows the sprint gearcase.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks a lot John. Another question. I am looking at the photo below and there does not seem to be any traditional clamp bracket for the Super Strangler/Stinger GP 8 pumper race motors. What is going on with the piece that is bolted to the transom?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BracketSuperStrangler.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These engines had a very unique mounting system. They had two brackets that tied into the steering tube, and went up and over the transom and bolted through from the inside, using serrated blocks for adjustment. The through-transom trim bracket (the part your arrow points to) provided the bottom bolting platform, and the outer thrust stability for the engine swivel bracket.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. So with the Super Strangler power "trim" while running a race was facilitated by rams pushing against the transom of the boat hull itself. I guess then that there were two ram cylinders, one on the right and one on the left. Never heard or seen that before but it was a race motor. Any idea what the diameter of a Clubfoot 1.85 lower unit was at the blow out ring?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all the OMC race motors are similar, one trim cylinder anchored inside the transom and going through a hole in the transom to work on the swivel housing from sst45 to F1 V8
    OMC also pioneered the trim in the swivel tube as well so they trim up and down vertically on some models

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which model was it that had the hydraulic up/down as well as in out? 20 or so years ago, I looked at a Hydrostream Vixen that was rotting away with a 4banger OMC with this mid on it. I have always kicked myself for not buying it, but at the time I did not know what the motor was.
    Jason
    Outboard Junkie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it came out on the KR 15 Super Strangler so that was about 73 I think, plenty of guys on here that will know that better than me

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I didnt read thru all the replies so this may have been mentioned. Late development on these engine saw a 15/17 lower become available, they remain a rare item. The lower unit shape also changed shortly after the photo on the first post. At one point I building these engines for a few people, we even had a 3.625 bore version with the 8 barell set up. It was asked what rpm the 6400-6800 listed is low, we used to run them 7200 at the 7HR parker enduro and 75-77 sprint racing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWTjr. View Post
    These engines had a very unique mounting system. They had two brackets that tied into the steering tube, and went up and over the transom and bolted through from the inside, using serrated blocks for adjustment. The through-transom trim bracket (the part your arrow points to) provided the bottom bolting platform, and the outer thrust stability for the engine swivel bracket.
    Quote Originally Posted by powerabout View Post
    all the OMC race motors are similar, one trim cylinder anchored inside the transom and going through a hole in the transom to work on the swivel housing from sst45 to F1 V8 OMC also pioneered the trim in the swivel tube as well so they trim up and down vertically on some models
    I'm not sure if anyone has a better picture but that is a very cool power trim system. When I looked closer at the picture I could see in #1 the transom lip "anchor pivot" point and then in #2 the single hydraulic ram for in and out trim angle. I guess a pic would tell but the straight ram trim was probably very simple yet heavy duty to take the beating.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SuperStranglerUniqueTrimBracket.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it was usually a merc Tower of Power ram--at least mine was.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    Late development on these Super Strangler engines saw a 15/17 lower unit become available, they remain a rare item. The lower unit shape also changed shortly after the photo on the first post. At one point I was building these engines for a few people, we even had a 3.625 bore version with the 8 barrel set up. We used to run them at 7200 rpm at the 7HR parker enduro.
    7200 RPM 8 Pumper must have been something to HEAR for the race fans! So much for the factory spec sheet of 6400-6800. 7200 rpms for a 1976 motor. Impressive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the 2.4L CCC use the same pistons as the last V-4 Stranglers? We used to order them as what was called an "OMC V-4 GP" piston for our 1978 235. That may not have been the proper name for them nut the man on the phone undertstood what we wanted. They had the large half mood cut in the skirt that was not desireable for our needs but they offered way more compression compared to stock plus they were forged instead of cast.

DB
    Last edited by Da Bull; 01-03-2019 at 09:11 PM.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast