Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racer View Post
    John, The up/down was built into the mount system so not a merc unit they did not even have up down at the time. My memory of the trim is a pump very similar to merc but made by Prestolite who may have also made the merc unit. What I am saying is OMC did not go buy trim pumps from Merc.
    This is correct. The pumps were both Prestolite units. I have the original pumps as well as the original horizontal trim cylinder. The lift pump is actually the same pump/motor assembly as used in the accessory OMC power tilt (not trim) units from the 1970s-1980s, those used on the production V4s. The trim pump is very similar in appearance to the Mercury unit, hence it would be easy to mistake it for that. I can't get any photos of mine right now, but will be able to in a few weeks or so. i'll do what I can do get them and post.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg G View Post
    A general question for those of you who have run them and worked on them. Would a Super Strangler 8 pumper have the grunt to push a 16 foot 1500lb V hull to 84mph? No pad on the boat just round bottom V. I'm not good with what the lower units would have done as far as slip % and the like but I'm sure there is some math that could give a range.
    If you mean 1500lb total with driver, boat, engine and gear, 84mph would be a stretch even for that--more like mid 70s. If you mean a 1500-lb. hull, no way.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    The power lift was not a movable jack plat as we know it today. The swivel bracket moved up and down 1". The mount to the boat was fixed.
    Yes, I worded that poorly. Having the swivel bracket move up and down is what I should have said. A pic would be cool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWTjr. View Post
    If you mean 1500lb total with driver, boat, engine and gear, 84mph would be a stretch even for that--more like mid 70s. If you mean a 1500-lb. hull, no way.
    It would be 1500lbs "total" weight. I was curious given the Super Strangler runs 7200rpm and came with both a 1:1 and a 1:65 lower unit if those surfacing lowers would have a shot at 84mph.
    Last edited by Greg G; 12-17-2013 at 07:22 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stock powerhead? - no way. Low 70's maybe.
    1986 20 ft. 8 in Shadow Tunnel Vee
    86 Rude XP 200 Looper
    10" Quicksilver Para - Lift Hydraulic.
    Hoss 15 x 28p. HPD & 14 & 3/4 x 27p. Yammie Drag 4
    Ron Hill Custom 15 x 28p. 4 Blade O/T Cleaver, Mazco 15 x 28p. 3 blade Cleaver
    Hydromotive Intimidator Q4 15 x 27p.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low 70's? I think you may be seriously underestimating the Super Strangler specs and the lower units that you could run with them.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some comparison points. APBA OPC J-Production class weight was 1075 lbs. boat/engine/rigged/driver with helmet and jacket. Typical JP top speeds on a long course were in the high 70s--a real good one, maybe 80. That's a full 400+ pounds lighter than what you're proposing, with a (usually blueprinted) pad bottom with setback built in. Granted, a JP engine isn't a Super Strangler. Another reference point: My "JP replica" 15' Allison with ported, scalloped-pistons, '73 135 heads, '78 140 carbs, ported/coated E-Tec reed cages/fiber reeds, '77 140 tuner with open exhaust, short shaft, KR ignition and flywheel, highly modified coned gearcase with lowered pickups, blueprinted bottom rig weighs just under 1050 with me in it, and runs around 82 strung out with a 30" cleaver. The clubfoot gearcase profile of the KR is not that much of an advantage over a modified 140 gearcase.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some comparison points. APBA OPC J-Production class weight was 1075 lbs. Typical JP top speeds, maybe 80. That's a full 400+ pounds lighter than what you're proposing, with a pad bottom with setback built in. Granted, a JP engine isn't a Super Strangler. The clubfoot gearcase profile of the KR15 is not that much of an advantage over a modified 140 gearcase.
    Thanks John. What about the 1:1 Sprint Gearcase on the Super Strangler at 7200rpm? Does the math support 84mph with that 1:1 lower unit instead of the 1.65?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Low 70's? I think you may be seriously underestimating the Super Strangler specs and the lower units that you could run with them.
    Granted I'm not that familiar with the Super Strangler as I've never had one. Which is why I've been mostly reading this thread and learning. Having said that, physic's is physic's and 1,500 lb's is 1,500 lb's, HP is HP, and Torque is torque. You do the math? 1.65 gear ratio on 1500 lbs vs 1.1 gearcase on 1500 lbs. If you have a higher gear ratio you'll have to comphensate for it by turning a lower pitch prop to achieve the same rpm with a given amount of horsepower & torque pushing a given amount of weight through the water. Hull design will throw some variables into this as a pad V hull will do better than a non pad V but not enough to matter too much. Personally I love the gearcase pictured below which is why I asked earlier if it was a 13 or 15 splined propshaft. I feel this gearcase in conjunction with the over the hub surfacing props I mostly run would gain a superior advantage in hydrodynamics over others but again your only talking about 3-4 mph (5 if lucky) given real world conditions. However on a non pad V hull as is stated in the question I stand by my estimate. Now a pad V with same motor I'd go mid to even upper mid (76, 77 mph) 70's may be possible but 84 mph on a non pad V - , I'd have to see it to believe it for the reasons given above.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0277.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	397.9 KB 
ID:	288891 I'd love to see a gearcase like this available for a V6 though.
    86 Rude XP 200 Looper

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddie Webb View Post
    I had a kr15 and yes it up/down and in/out. Bull had some of the pistons you were looking for with the high rings and no scallops. I just gave them away about two months ago. I wish I would have held on to my Weeks ccc, my rs, and my kr15 but times were tough.

I am very familiar with Waynes RS but what CCC? How did you get your hands on GP pistons with no half moon scallop? Man back in the day i would have paid a premeium price for those.

DB

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks John. What about the 1:1 Sprint Gearcase on the Super Strangler at 7200rpm? Does the math support 84mph with that 1:1 lower unit instead of the 1.65?
    The 1:1 gearcase profile and attendant prop will not be large enough to support the weight and heft of that boat, and it will perform poorly. The bullet diameter and propeller diameter need to be large enough to provide the proper lift to support the hull. Even some full race tunnels performed poorly with the sprint gearcase (excessive porpoising in ramp-up to full speed, etc.). In addition, you need a hull and setup that would allow the engine to turn such RPM. Just because someone has stated that theirs has turned 7200 in a particular application does not in any way mean that the engine will turn this RPM in any/every application.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyda View Post
    Granted I'm not that familiar with the Super Strangler as I've never had one. Which is why I've been mostly reading this thread and learning. Having said that, physic's is physic's and 1,500 lb's is 1,500 lb's, HP is HP, and Torque is torque. You do the math? 1.65 gear ratio on 1500 lbs vs 1.1 gearcase on 1500 lbs. If you have a higher gear ratio you'll have to comphensate for it by turning a lower pitch prop to achieve the same rpm with a given amount of horsepower & torque pushing a given amount of weight through the water. Hull design will throw some variables into this as a pad V hull will do better than a non pad V but not enough to matter too much. Personally I love the gearcase pictured below which is why I asked earlier if it was a 13 or 15 splined propshaft. I feel this gearcase in conjunction with the over the hub surfacing props I mostly run would gain a superior advantage in hydrodynamics over others but again your only talking about 3-4 mph (5 if lucky) given real world conditions. However on a non pad V hull as is stated in the question I stand by my estimate. Now a pad V with same motor I'd go mid to even upper mid (76, 77 mph) 70's may be possible but 84 mph on a non pad V - , I'd have to see it to believe it for the reasons given above.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0277.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	397.9 KB 
ID:	288891 I'd love to see a gearcase like this available for a V6 though.
    "Back in the day", there were more than a few who made adapter plates to use these on V-6s. These were beefy units that rarely broke and would withstand the torque and power of a V6 from the era. Now on today's V6s, that's another chapter to be written.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Back in the day", there were more than a few who made adapter plates to use these on V-6s. These were beefy units that rarely broke and would withstand the torque and power of a V6 from the era. Now on today's V6s, that's another chapter to be written.
    Mine's an 86 200 XP looper so ya know at the prop it's probably around 215-220 hp when running correctly. I'd love to try one of these gearcases out on it just for the sheer curiosity of what it would do on my Tunnel V.
    86 Rude XP 200 Looper

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allyda View Post
    Mine's an 86 200 XP looper so ya know at the prop it's probably around 215-220 hp when running correctly. I'd love to try one of these gearcases out on it just for the sheer curiosity of what it would do on my Tunnel V.
    The gearcase pictured looks like the OMC 14/23. We used this same gear case on the rotary 285+ HP and never had a problem. Remember, most of the gear cases were torn apart and rebuilt after every race. Most of the time they were simply put back together with the same parts, but they were inspected.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    The gearcase pictured looks like the OMC 14/23. We used this same gear case on the rotary 285+ HP and never had a problem. Remember, most of the gear cases were torn apart and rebuilt after every race. Most of the time they were simply put back together with the same parts, but they were inspected.
    Ah but now finding one will surely be a problem.
    86 Rude XP 200 Looper

Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast