Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think everyone here has missed the point. He asked if any NEW CAR would tow his 18' boat. I'm sure you'd be fine with any current mid sized sedan. Sure, just about anything will pull it, but what happens when it's time to stop it??? I hope that Smart car has trailer braking, otherwise that has to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Really hope that's just for going down the street, or a joke pic.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good point. For me it's can't be FWD. Challenger or Charger would be a nice choice. The brakes on any of the new cars is so far superior to the drums of 40 years ago and even the discs of 30 years ago any full size car will stop fine.
    I was going so slow I almost crashed. - JamesGang

1978 24 Superboat - 250 EFI
    Sold: 1991 Starliner - 250 EFI Merc 3.0

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would think a Cadillac CTS would do OK with an 18 footer. I used to tow my 18 ft Baja with a 1980 Trans Am back in the old days. It did just fine on the road.but had trouble on the boat launch more than once with wheelspin. Another thought would be a 5.3 V8 Impala or Monte Carlo SS. Tons of power and FWD should help on slick boat launches.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvette View Post
    I think everyone here has missed the point. He asked if any NEW CAR would tow his 18' boat. I'm sure you'd be fine with any current mid sized sedan. Sure, just about anything will pull it, but what happens when it's time to stop it??? I hope that Smart car has trailer braking, otherwise that has to be the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Really hope that's just for going down the street, or a joke pic.

A car with trailer braking, what are you talking about? If a boat is big enough to need trailer brakes there will be surge brakes on the trailer and have nothing to do with the tow vehicle.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by F14 View Post
    A car with trailer braking, what are you talking about? If a boat is big enough to need trailer brakes there will be surge brakes on the trailer and have nothing to do with the tow vehicle.
    Apparently you've never heard of electric brakes. You can install a module in the car for trailers equipped, or it is possible to retrofit a regular trailer to have electric brakes. In a panic stop, that smart car with no trailer assisted braking would just be pushed by the weight of the boat/trailer into god knows what, but I'll bet you wouldn't be happy if it was your family members....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes I have heard of electric brakes, but never on a boat trailer. I have had them on utility, camper, fifth wheel trailers but never on a boat trailer.

Do you know a reason why trailer surge brakes would not work on a smart car? Maybe Im missing something......
    Last edited by F14; 11-09-2013 at 11:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True, likely a bad idea on something that will be in the water as often as a boat trailer, but again, point missed. Towing isn't just about pulling. You need to manage your load safely, whether pulling OR stopping. There's not a chance in hell that smart car will stop that boat in a panic stop situation. I tow my 16' hydrostream with a crown vic, and I can tell you it's a lot slower to come to a stop when I have the boat vs not. That's a full size car with 4 wheel discs. I wouldn't even think of pulling it with an econobox.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes point missed, by you. If a trailer has surge brakes it does not matter what is pulling it. A smart car or a truck, it does not matter to the trailer. When the tow vehicle stops the trailer brakes engage. Its that simple.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol... Ok then. You throw your wife and kids in front of that smart car pulling a 40 foot cat and tell them "don't worry, the trailer has surge brakes, you'll be fine!" I guess I am the one missing the point here lol....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anybody still make car that can pull a Boat say under 18'? I have a Hydrostream Viking and that was no problem for the 1999 Cadillac Seville.But the 17' Whaler was a problem in hot weather. New radiator didn't help.My old 1994 Lincoln(200,000 miles plus) could pull every thing with no problem.But does anybody still build cars that can.Trailer Boat Magazine use to have rates on cars but no more.And I just do not like trucks for every day use.(they suck for gas mileage)

Did you read the original post? under 18 foot. please stay on track.
    Last edited by F14; 11-10-2013 at 12:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was on track, until you mentioned that a trailer with surge brakes doesn't care what is in front of it. Do you think the boat pictured behind the smart car has assisted braking? I don't. Do you think that smart car is capable of stopping that boat in a reasonable distance? I don't. So why was it brought up? I originally made the point that the original question was what "new" car would "tow" his boat. Towing should be thought of as more than just pulling has been my point all along, and a small car just doesn't do it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL, you brought up brakes before I did. I was simply correcting you regarding the type of brakes used on a boat trailer.
    Regarding the smart car towing a 600 lb Mirage or STV with a 400 lb motor on it, yes, the anti lock brakes will stop this light load with no problem.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reason I brought up brakes was because of the picture, and congrats in the correction. Not a chance I would stand in front of that car/boat package still.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    While many cars will have no problem whatsoever towing any 18 foot boat, we all know what happens. You have the 18 footer for a year or two and then you want to go to a 21 footer. Make sure the car you buy can stay around when you add a couple feet to the boat. As we all know, if they are rear wheel drive only, forget that as an option at the ramp at low tide.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just used my crown vic to tow my action.. no issues haha

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast