Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand everyones reluctance, and agree that going from stock XS to X would not be worth the effort but that's not the plan. I just haven't had good luck with the XS's, in the short three years I've had them I've lunched two compressor's, both covered by waranty but each cost me 3 weeks of boating time, as well as a couple other issues that also cost me time. Not saying the X's would be more reliable, I'm sure they wouldn't, but it can't be much worse and I feel like they would make more power and there are more parts avail for the X's which may make the trade off acceptable. I've also been chasing an intermittant power loss for the last season and a half that so far no one has been able to nail down VERY frustating to say the least. Now that the season is over these power heads are coming off and I'm going to go through them completely to figure out that problem, it's just not been a great track record with these motors. which is why I'm thinking of swapping.

Adam, I appreciate your response, you're definitely one of the ones at the for front of testing with the XS's so I take what you say seriously I just want more power and reliability than I've had up to this point. I'm currently underway with the US Navy but once I get back I'll try and give Joe another call, maybe I can get in touch with him and they can get me where I want to be which would be great. I'm just looking at other options if not. If you've got a couple of fresh X power heads you'd like to swap for I don't know that I wouldn't be interested though...

If I go to X's it's so that I can turn them up fuel milage be darned. As for them being old tech that was replaced with the Opti's yea that's true but it doesn't mean that they aren't a superior motor for some applications. From everything I've read or heard there's not a boat out there that isn't faster with X's than XS's and that's where I'm at. I'm at the 100-101 mark now and want to get to the 105-106 mark, to do that I think I need to be at the 350 ish point, if I can get there with my motors great it's less hassel but not by much. Like I said I've got to completely re rig the boat this off season anyway because of some of the complete BS the factory did when they built the boat.

It does sound like the general concensus is that I'm crazy though LOL so maybe I'll look at my motors a little more before I list them for sale...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the guys here is at 114 with a modified 300XS on an SRV. You might want to ask him about the effectiveness of modifying the 300XS. I think it's Kcraft.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i bought a 3.2 xs 2014 can u open exust at mid so it dont sound like a bass boat no afence but its a hot boat thank u

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not look at the Mercury Racing 350 Verado?
    Got the power from a factory unit, therefore the reliabilty.
    The size of the boat will carry the extra weight.

If you want to make a dirty motor why not use your motor as a base.
    3.2l Stroker X, go MAD EFI system ( or Whatever).
    Done right, you will get all the power you need.
    Spin it to what ever RPM you want

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baja200merk View Post
    Put props on it so it doesnt slam the limiter.
    he did reprop the boat kevin. i'm not fond of all the bs on an opti either. i had a 3.2 300x conversion engine in here a while back, couldn't believe that they machine the heads for the pistons sticking out the deck, surprising that noone makes a piston for the crank swap yet. for not even 200 cc hardly worth the effort and cost.
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A bunch of guys have done the same to run the 3.3s on carbs but stroke stays the same. The 3.3 piston goes above deck and they made heads instead of cutting the pistons. We cut the pistons flat in beefs has about an hour on it now zipped up to 7k a few times seems ok so far. Gonna put some timing to it and start leaning on it.

I thought after rods are taken care of the chest was the next limiting factor on those 3.0s?
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't comment on an XS to X switch but I went from a pair of X motors to 2012 300 Etecs (calm down, not trying to promote the Etecs). The fuel consumption was much higher with the X's at cruise but so the speed was better too, the mpg's at cruise were around 1.0 - 1.2 with the X's and the Etecs are 1.2 - 1.4 (combined). The xs may do better than the Etecs in the mpg's, I dont know.
    The X's would burn about 20 gph each at cruise (4500) and do 45 - 50 mph. The Etecs burn 10 to 12 gph each around 3500 - 4000 rpm doing in the mid to upper 30's. Top end, the x's were about 5 mph faster (still working out props and may need a nose cone).
    For what its worth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it makes any differnce I generally cruise between 65 and 85 which is 4-5K on the tachs. The way it is now I can pull the 32 BBLades Blasters to right at 6K with the trim right, obviously a little higher if I over trim a tad but the MPH stays the same. I'd like to be able to pull these props to 6300 or so.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personal Opinion:

I think the bottom line here is that the 300x's are still a DIY motor (simplistic) where as the XS's are a little more technically challenging to the DIY guy's. Everybody knows the XS's have had numerous failure issues from day one, coils, compressors etc. and those are not cheap replacements when your warranty has run out. The X motors are the flip side of the coin, being much, much simpler to repair and to do your own work on. I personally feel that the added cost of lower MPG (to me) is worth it as I can totally maintain and mod my motor. The X motors have earned there keep over the years they've been around and are a great platform for mod's where as the XS motors have there limits being DI in lieu of EFI, tomorrow maybe a different story. I know the Dave at DBR is always looking for XS performance and has invested tons of hours on the dyno with them, but for those wanting to not have to rely on a visit to the dealer every time an issues comes up, I think the X's are the way to go if your not feeling the pain at the pump every time you fill up..

Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So whats the fuel burn at wide open throttle for each? I mean, they both make about the same horsepower
    13' Biel tunnel AKA "Flight Risk"
    13" Modified Yamaha V4 - 101 mph

21' Paramount
    Mercury 300 Promax

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
    So whats the fuel burn at wide open throttle for each? I mean, they both make about the same horsepower

Great question.! Im going to put a few of these on the T3 as the get such good fuel burn.

Dago

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't recall exactly, but I think it was like almost 2:1, 300X's burning nearly twice as much as the XS's (again depending where your at on the throttles of course).

Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Guys I get 2 to 2.4 mpg with 28 skater 2 -300 x motors driving it mostly 80 mph or better I would say mostly running 90- 100. So I just dont think that is bad at all in fact I am very happy with that. Also I love the additional 10-15 mph over the xs's. calculated using gps for mileage and sticking tanks so this is real exact.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 28s, 300 XS are fantastic, the hoods sucked, (ingested water) but Mike Nass cowels fixed that. They run like a Rolex... And running into the teens is easy.
    Kirk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have exact same boat 2012 call me at 270-646-4773 I may be able to help with setup. Easier to gain with setup than horsepower.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast