Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome, and love Mammoth Cave. Been there several times, spent a lot of time in Horse Cave while growing up in Ky. Any way, don't kid yourself about the solid motor mounts. I didn't think it could have that much to do with the boat getting "plumb crazy", but it does. Biggest reason is because when you start getting the motor up where you want it, start getting on the pad only, any chine walk instantly becomes compounded with the nose starting to wander left and right. Put the two together and you get "plumb crazy". Grab the back of the lower unit and try your best to wiggle it back and forth, the entire range of motion shouldn't be more than 4 or 5 degrees. When I had stock mounts, with some effort, I'll bet my entire range of left to right travel was approaching over 10 degrees. My boat was moving a lot on both axis.

Im still working on it, but at least I have it nailed down to some chine rock, and not trying to go anywhere but straight. One other thing, if you are new at balancing a pad, in my opinion, the hydraulic steering will be a little harder to learn. You are reacting by sight or the feeling in your pants. With cable, I can "feel" the input of the boat in the wheel and makes my counter pressure faster. I am actually taking my hydraulic out and putting cable back in. But that's just me. For me, if I ran a true tunnel or slower vee bottom, the hydraulic would be the cats meow.

Grab the back of that motor and "wiggle it" for all you're worth. If you have stock rubber mounts, you'll know it, and will never be able to feel good up on the pad.

Nice rig!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    and you could always add more hp!!
    There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. –Aristotle

Quinten

86' Hydrostream Vking YT, 2.4 Bridgeport EFI
    (Rigging and interior in the works)
    88' Hydrostream Voyager, 2.4 200 Merc
    Boat of The Month Feb. 2009
    resto here, http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=144414
    Dedicated to you Dad, I miss you! 1935-2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang Hoss, I guess we were typing at the same time. Sorry if it sounded like I plagiarized your post.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    and you could always add more hp!!
    There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and be nothing. –Aristotle

Quinten

86' Hydrostream Vking YT, 2.4 Bridgeport EFI
    (Rigging and interior in the works)
    88' Hydrostream Voyager, 2.4 200 Merc
    Boat of The Month Feb. 2009
    resto here, http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...d.php?t=144414
    Dedicated to you Dad, I miss you! 1935-2008

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Less trim, more horsepower, better prop...... fixed
    Living in the Freedom provided by Bud Conner and his fellow warriors.
    R.I.P. my Heathen Brother

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lmao!!!! So transomestand what u are REALLY saying is get a BIGGER BLACK MAX right....
    Laser 1550 ...under construction with a serious weight loss
    Motor 2.4....undecided on hp yet

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hull drag is more of a factor than gearcase drag at these speeds. Running above the pad at this point will hurt performance more than it will help handling. The height is fine where it's at, you just need to learn to drive it. Chinewalk isn't something that happens unless you allow it to happen. Practice.
    '89 Hydrostream Vegas XT, '90 Merc 2.4 Bridgeport PCU EFI
    My YouTube videos________My Flickr photo gallery
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1706097519

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transomstand View Post
    You forgot to add ....... "Never run it above 57 mph"!!!!!
    Thanks,
    Tim Bostic

Hoss Marine Propellers
    www.hossprops.com
    918-479-5167 (shop)

Pugh Hydro w/260 Merc - 12" mid
    1987 XB2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 15" mid
    1985 XR2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 12" mid (Restoration Project)
    "New" - 1987 XTB21 Allison (Refurbished at the Factory!!!!) w/'99-225 ProMax Merc

Top Speed Blog - http://www.screamandfly.com/blog.php...OSS-quot-Style

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTLASER View Post
    Lmao!!!! So transomestand what u are REALLY saying is get a BIGGER BLACK MAX right....
    Yeah ..... that too!!!!! +1
    Thanks,
    Tim Bostic

Hoss Marine Propellers
    www.hossprops.com
    918-479-5167 (shop)

Pugh Hydro w/260 Merc - 12" mid
    1987 XB2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 15" mid
    1985 XR2002 Allison w/2.4 EFI Merc - 12" mid (Restoration Project)
    "New" - 1987 XTB21 Allison (Refurbished at the Factory!!!!) w/'99-225 ProMax Merc

Top Speed Blog - http://www.screamandfly.com/blog.php...OSS-quot-Style

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by transomstand View Post

All true...lol

And the faster you go...the higher the motor (with good water pressure still) the less chine walking potential too.

PS. A HOSS 14.5 prop will also run good for you.

I think he has enough to digest here before he is totally confused.
    1990 22' Activator Yami HPDI 300-sold-86.4
    1976 21' Challenger 2002 3.1 Yami 250 Vmax phase lll 89.7-sold
    1982 21' Superboat 300merc-87
    1990 22' Activator yami OX66 Vmax 250-84.2
    1982 30' Scarab-twin 200 Merc-sold
    1979 21' Challenger 300 Evenrude-sold
    1979 21' Superboat 200 Merc-sold-72

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Went out this morn. and had a good trip. Caught fish and boat done the best it has so far. I had raised it 1 1/2 since the last time I was out. I hit 64 @ 5400 before it started and could cruse at 63. I went slow on the trim today. It did feel like the bow was high and it started to bounce on the back two inches of hull when trimmed up. I raised it another 1/2" when I got home. I'm now 1/2" below pad and can prob. go 1"-1 1/2 more. I didn't know about the nose cone and that some props run better above and some below. I'll have to look and see what I can find. My mounts are tight and no slack in steering at all. I think hight of motor and seat time will be what helps it and be dialed it if I can swing a new prop. Tks guys for all the info. This is a great site I just wish I had found it six months ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a pic of my jack plate before I shortened it. I have talked to the previous owner. He actually was shaking like a leaf at 58 and seemed scared to death of it. I even found that the throttle was adjusted to only about 75%. He said it was raced before he got it. That's why it's in such good shape for a 84. He said it had a 250 on it before and would run in the 80's. Tks for the comments on my boat. I love it. I always wanted a bullet and got this one worth the money. Also I'm sorry I typed 28 on the fury, it's actually a 26. I've seen several bullets with a runnin a chopper don't know much about them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Witch prop that I have do y'all suggest. And I'll get right this time because I went and checked them! 26 trophy plus or 25 fury. Lol I haven't looked a the fury in so long I forgot what it was but for sure this time it's a 25.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey man are you in the fastbass.com forum? tons of bullet guys there and may even be the person who raced it. the chine walk def goes away the higher the motor is partially because when you are at higher speeds and that bullet point is below the pad it starts to try and run on it making is super easy for it to rock back and forth. Also from what i have learned a trophy is a great prop for these boats when fishing regardless of motor height because it gives more torque and is less effected by adding weight such as filling the livewells. it has probably already been tuned for the boat which is what needs to occur for most. as far as topend speed you should easily be close to 80 with that setup. I was in the upper 60's w/ the 150 johnson that was crank rated so compared to that blackmax it was putting out 140ish at best. just put gt parts on it and ill get to test it monday. im hoping to be able to top out close to 75 or just under. and fish in the low 70's. i had to get a custom jp for mine as well because of how short the transoms are. She does look super clean for sure though! as far as choppers go id try one a lot before purchasing it. they will be close to your fastest prop speed but as far as fishing with them they aren't too fun.
    1984 17vee Bullet w/1985 Johnson 150gt (bob's nose cone, hydrodynamics custom 8in. jackplate, custom skid plate and foil, and 26p trophy plus) currently 70mph tournament loaded.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tks bro. I tried fast bass but still waiting on second email to bless me with access. It's been a week now and still waiting. I feel I just need to come up a little more from how it feels when you get it trimmed up. I thk I need to get the bow down a little more and get 60-63 mph a little closer to even trim. I said I wanted smooth at 60 now I want smooth at 65. You know how it is.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha btw you dont want the bow down. you want the motor trim neutral or close and the bow like in my pic. When you feel like you are floating also known as packing air. is when everything gets easier and things like crossing other boat wakes and waves up to a point gets way easier because you are now riding on the two chines like it was designed to do. you may need to have someone look at that prop. also have you "unlimited" the motor? you mentioned that guy had limited i.
    1984 17vee Bullet w/1985 Johnson 150gt (bob's nose cone, hydrodynamics custom 8in. jackplate, custom skid plate and foil, and 26p trophy plus) currently 70mph tournament loaded.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I turned it loose before I ever took it out. I don't want the bow down just a tad bit lower than it it's runnin right now. Your pic is what I'm shooting for. It wants to bounce a little when I trim it a little above neutral. Feels like if I raise it a bit more I won't have to trim as much to get what in getting now. Giving me a little more pad at the same speed. It my raise my rpms a little but I'm still in my range. I may be totally wrong but it just feels that way.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast