Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Third test run, engine overheat

1978 2.4l Mercury 200hp, 1988 Stratus VT Rocket 20', 23" Steve Smith OS cut A5 Chopper, 10" setback manual jack plate NO LOW WATER PICKUP, NO WATER PRESSURE GAUGE, NO TEMP GAUGE (stupid, I know). This was the third time out and first time with the 23" prop. Started with the prop shaft 2" above the pad. Boat ran well (4800-5000 rpm) but ran much better trimmed way out (with the prop higher) (5600 rpm). So after a few runs knowing the engine was getting good cooling water, I got eager and raised the engine about an inch. Went on a few more runs. Then did one long run with the engine trimmed pretty far out (running as fast as it did all day) when the engine lost power and died. There was electrical smell and white/light grey smoke from the cowling. I opened the cowl and the starboard head was screaming hot (definitely overheated due to lack of cooling water (Engine too high). Got greedy and now will pay the price. Surprisingly, the engine still cranked 5 and 30 minutes after this incident. I put the boat away and have not touched it. Any ideas on what problems to look for or how to go about diagnosing/fixing at this point? Thank you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Compression check first,then pull the heads and take a look.Yours is a first gen chrome bore.Its gonna be hard to justify fixing that block,if its toasted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the direction. If the block is done, what should I be looking for to replace it? Is it even worth keeping the 1978 slow dual ram mid with in boat pump and the stock lower, especially considering I need a low water pickup? Thanks for the help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well it depends on how much work your willing to do.This is only my opinion!I like the dual ram clamp,with an OMC cobra pump.It's quite a bit lighter than the single ram,and with that pump,faster.You can Bobs cone, your preload lower.With 200hp will give reasonable service.---- For the power head,find a used 83 up 2.4 block,heads,exhaust divider,and pistons,good used,the rest of your parts will fit it.Ether this board or ebay,New rings and rod bearings,gaskets,and you have a pretty good motor.If your a careful shopper you mite spend around $1000 in parts---Or you could part yours out and go engine shopping

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So when you get it running, the first changes you make will be, Water Press and Temp Gauges. Think about the money you could have saved.??

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pull the heads to inspect, and check for water divertors correctly located. And poppit valves not sticking, thermostats working correctly, and water pump and impellor! You can re-sleeve it back to steel sleeves rather than figuring out how to chrome it back to standard and have the ability to bore it over-size in the future unless you get tired of re-building the darm thing!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely I will have water pressure and temp gauges in the future!