Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 1997 evinrude 225 vindicator

Hey everyone. So I posted an idea on the bbc and they steered me over here. I wanted to do reeds on my outboard to help it run better and I asked about other easy mods. People replied with "drain plugs with tit" and larger # 2 cylinder carb jet. I dont understand about the "drain plugs with tit"? anyone else done anything similar? any ideas? Just trying to get all the performance out of my motor with minimal issues. If i am posting this in the wrong place, please let me know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thay probably meant idle reliefs, compression bleed off holes under the exhust ports. not sure about the carb jet that year. Chris carlson reeds are supposed to work really well, I had boyesons in my 89 when I bought it so I cannot commect of performance difference. go to twostrokeonly.com (instigators site from here) Gary has performance history and upgrades for the different years on there. For myself, with todays goat p*ss marina gas, I would probably port it and leave it low compression and let it rev ( prop it for 6500 ) I realize that this does not fall under easy modds as compression and reeds, but will give you top end if you can do it People will want to know hull type, weight and use before giving advice on exactly what to do.

Steve
    Last edited by panther150; 09-26-2013 at 01:27 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chris carson reeds are what I had in my vindicator. not only did they work great. when I had a burnt piston from a mechanical issue and melted a the reeds on one cylinder. I call chris to see if he would sell me reeds for one cyl only. he did better he sent me a set for free. also a few to run first to be sure I had fixed the cause. plugging idle reliefs help hole shot and mid range. really no topend gain.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is why I would recomend after setup has been optimized ( I would prop for 6500) my next option would be porting for topend , leaving the compression lower if you are running "marina gas" especially if the motor is on a heavier hull.

Steve