Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ticking/clicking noise in '89 OMC

I have an '89 Johnson 200GT that has a slight clicking/ticking noise at idle (haven't had it in the lake yet) that can be heard all over the powerhead but mostly at the top. Nothing loud, not a knock or thud. Reminds me of valvetrain noise you would hear in a car engine. It has the Quick Strike Pro ignition, is this what I might be hearing, just the ignition firing? This is my first outboard. I was told it only has 20 hrs since a complete rebuild (seen receipts but not sure on the hours). Am I being paranoid? Is a little clicking noise normal? I know its hard to say without actually hearing it for yourself. Like I said, not very loud, you have to be right up next to it to hear it (but it does have a exhaust relief cut out right below the cavitation plate so that might be why).

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Hey man sounds like your getting close! Im going to bet my money on the noise being from the reeds. They do some clicking. They are located in the front half of you powerhead just behind the Carbs from top to bottom of the intake. You can take a [very] long screwdriver and stick the metal part to the intake and the handle to your ear. You might be able to at least pick up the rhythm of the noise coming from that area. Watch out for the flywheel when pulling the screw driver stunt!!! The GPS speedo works great! Thanks again and Good Luck... Quint

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strongback mite be rite! I put velocity stacks on my 200. and I could hear the reeds a mile away!
    More of a clack type of noise tho... and only at idle!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by strongback View Post
    Hey man sounds like your getting close! Im going to bet my money on the noise being from the reeds. They do some clicking. They are located in the front half of you powerhead just behind the Carbs from top to bottom of the intake. You can take a [very] long screwdriver and stick the metal part to the intake and the handle to your ear. You might be able to at least pick up the rhythm of the noise coming from that area. Watch out for the flywheel when pulling the screw driver stunt!!! The GPS speedo works great! Thanks again and Good Luck... Quint
    Thanks Quint, I will give that a try. Hope to have the boat out next weekend. Glad to hear that speedo worked out good for you. I will let you know how things go next weekend!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsbiship View Post
    Strongback mite be rite! I put velocity stacks on my 200. and I could hear the reeds a mile away!
    More of a clack type of noise tho... and only at idle!
    I was told the motor had the Chris Carson reeds in it. Would the composite reeds still have the ticking noise?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by racer7x View Post
    I was told the motor had the Chris Carson reeds in it. Would the composite reeds still have the ticking noise?
    Oh yea. Think of a saxophone reed...... If you lifted it with your fingernail and let it slap down on the mouth piece,it makes a click sound and its very distinct in a out board there is about 30 or so on your motor all constantly clicking as the air gets sucked past them. Once you get some rpm it turns into one constant noise in my opinion. Only makes a lot of independent clicks at idle. Kingbiship is right you can hear it a mile away. Is your airbox/silencer box removed from the front of the carbs? I think you are good... Quint

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Quint. Ya the box is still attached and I'm guessing the baffle is still there as well. I'm less paranoid about now, can't wait to get this biotch on the water!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Let that Biotch eat!!!! I shot you a pm earlier.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently had a ticking noise on a 200. The top crank bearing end cap was loose. The stator was rubbing on the flywheel creating the ticking noise.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wfowahoo View Post
    I recently had a tic. king noise on a 200. The top crank bearing end cap was loose. The stator was rubbing on the flywheel creating the ticking noise.
    Thanks, I will check that out. I hope its just what strongback and kingsbishop describe.