User Tag List

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job never a doubt in my mind.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its probably dumping a lot of fuel in it gary, did you do a plug reading? how does it run as far as performance compared to the downdraft system? did you try the map restrictor?
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    Good job never a doubt in my mind.

Dave
    Thanks Dave for that vote of confedince, appreciate it greatly....

Quote Originally Posted by mrcrsr View Post
    its probably dumping a lot of fuel in it gary, did you do a plug reading? how does it run as far as performance compared to the downdraft system? did you try the map restrictor?
    Charlie, fresh set of plugs, hard pass and pulled them, they're reading dark brown, I'd rather have it a little rich over lean. Pulls much, much harder than the down draft any where in the RPM range you punch it. The .020 restricted MAP sensor made no difference at all that I could tell. It runs great, so I'm leaving well enough alone......lol.

Gary

Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional.......

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    sounds good, well done!

Could be the gopro but it looks like that motor moves around a ton, might want to see if your steering has some air in it.
    Quartershot T-3R 15" 3.5L E-Tec 1.62 Sportmaster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liberator*21 View Post

Charlie, fresh set of plugs, hard pass and pulled them, they're reading dark brown, I'd rather have it a little rich over lean. Pulls much, much harder than the down draft any where in the RPM range you punch it. The .020 restricted MAP sensor made no difference at all that I could tell. It runs great, so I'm leaving well enough alone......lol.
    So your wizzy linkage was the fix?

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly what that intake likes.... a ton of fuel! I'd like to hear the fuel consumption difference after a day of boating.

Good job Gary! I'll be running my downdraft soon. I kinda wish I would have left it on the Checkmate for a better comparison.
    85 Checkmate Starflite
    MAD/Wolf 225 EFI

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that kool its up and running. did you pic up any rpms and mph? do you run pyros? if so temps?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by baja200merk View Post
    sounds good, well done!

Could be the gopro but it looks like that motor moves around a ton, might want to see if your steering has some air in it.
    I saw that too when I downloaded the clip, already on it, yeah it did have some air in it. Thanks for the catch........
    I seriously doubt all the movement will go away as there's allot more torque at the prop than ever before.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Strong View Post
    So your wizzy linkage was the fix?

Dave
    Well partly Dave, cranked up the fuel pressure, added vacuum port control on the EFI fuel reg., changed the ratio of advance for the TPS, loaded the bottom end with lots of fuel to cover the sudden amount of air the motor see's off idle and mid range.

Quote Originally Posted by opsdave View Post
    Exactly what that intake likes.... a ton of fuel! I'd like to hear the fuel consumption difference after a day of boating.

Good job Gary! I'll be running my downdraft soon. I kinda wish I would have left it on the Checkmate for a better comparison.
    Thanks Dave. Your totally correct, with 3x plus, the amount of air the motor sees, fuel is the answer. As for fuel usage, it really shouldn't be much more than before, only heavy fuel usage would be off idle and mid range and I don't spend much time at either one.......LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by R.grover View Post
    that kool its up and running. did you pic up any rpms and mph? do you run pyros? if so temps?
    Didn't log any numbers from the test session as it was only time spent to get the intake working properly, I do run pyros, and temps were around 1300/1350 at WOT. The prop I was running was an old stand by, not in the greatest shape.

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Liberator*21 View Post

It runs great, so I'm leaving well enough alone......lol.
    yeah like that,s going to happen !!!!
    but otherwise great job
    compliments for your fabrication work
    btw if you have a smart phone you could use something like this to log speed and acceleration
    www.sports-tracker.com
    Last edited by PanRonnie; 10-02-2013 at 05:16 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PanRonnie View Post
    yeah like that,s going to happen !!!!
    but otherwise great job
    compliments for your fabrication work
    btw if you have a smart phone you could use something like this to log speed and acceleration
    www.sports-tracker.com
    Thanks Ronnie,

You know me all to well.......

I am going to re-fab a few parts that were just saw cut/drilled and used for test over the coming winter months. The linkage system will also get a rebuild in an effort to eliminate as much friction as possible in the collapsible rod section, I'll be using Teflon material to accomplish that.

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice gary, i'd be interested about the fuel consumption as well. i'm hoping the intake makes a difference on my project. i reviewed the old fuel maps from the mad efi/ wolf and fueling numbers are much higher then what i have now. i originally chalked it up to just not being set up properly, maybe it does need that much fuel
    action mobile marine, 772 528 0754, dealers for aces fuel products,wolf efi, pro marine,latham and gaffrig/livorsi. we build gearcases and modify them(3 litre) to ratchet, and powerheads as well. 21 skater/3 litre wolf efi 113 mph the engine build http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-3-litre-build

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie
    I'm sure you'll be adding fuel to your map. When I tried to run your setup last year it would just fall on its face when I backed out of the throttle once I got up on plane. I wish I would have spent more time tuning it. I'm sure you'll love it.
    85 Checkmate Starflite
    MAD/Wolf 225 EFI

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I`m so glad i read this whole thread. Gary, You`ve done a very nice job and have peaked my interest in my project again. Mine is a 300XS block with everything else comming from a 1998 300PM with the same MAD intake you have. Only two problem`s i`ve had are #1, I scuffed 5 pistons (5 differant holes) one at a time after i built the motor (piston dome`s were dark color). Charlie streightened me out on that. Not enough break in time. I cranked the fuel psi up to 50lbs and rode for two month`s then backed it down to 40lbs. No more scuffed piston`s. Runs great.
    #2 problem, Off idle lean spot (sound familiar?). With my two computer system i can`t adjust fuel curve so i increased fuel psi to 42psi and it helped the problem but not solved. Only solution is to idle and only idle in no wake zone`s. Now that i`ve read your thread i`m going to try your fancy linkage on my tps. Makes sence to me.

Thanks
    DB
    Last edited by Da Bull; 10-02-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice gary, i'd be interested about the fuel consumption as well. i'm hoping the intake makes a difference on my project. i reviewed the old fuel maps from the mad efi/ wolf and fueling numbers are much higher then what i have now. i originally chalked it up to just not being set up properly, maybe it does need that much fuel

Charlie,

No matter how you slice it.............

"You will be spending more time at the pump"

When you consider that you've got (est.> 2.5 to 3 times) more incoming air than a OEM T/B can flow, well needless to say the only thing that will cover all that "FREE" air is expensive "FUEL"........

I rest my case......see ya at the pumps Charlie, I know I'll be there.....

Gary

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Bull View Post
    I`m so glad i read this whole thread. Gary, You`ve done a very nice job and have peaked my interest in my project again. Mine is a 300XS block with everything else comming from a 1998 300PM with the same MAD intake you have. Only two problem`s i`ve had are #1, I scuffed 5 pistons (5 differant holes) one at a time after i built the motor (piston dome`s were dark color). Charlie streightened me out on that. Not enough break in time. I cranked the fuel psi up to 50lbs and rode for two month`s then backed it down to 40lbs. No more scuffed piston`s. Runs great.
    #2 problem, Off idle lean spot (sound familiar?). With my two computer system i can`t adjust fuel curve so i increased fuel psi to 42psi and it helped the problem but not solved. Only solution is to idle and only idle in no wake zone`s. Now that i`ve read your thread i`m going to try your fancy linkage on my tps. Makes sence to me.

Thanks
    DB
    DB,

Thank you, it really shouldn't matter if your on the 2 ECU's vs. the single late model. The key is tricking the TPS into adding more fuel off idle and into the mid range. Like I told Charlie, you've got to cover that sudden off idle to mid range incoming air with lots of fuel. Think of using the TPS like an old Holley Carb accelerator pump, remember when you could change the pump cams on those, that's what has to be done w/the TPS, ya gotta get it to squirt more. Best of luck to ya......

Gary

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast