Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks!! I think it's stock. Mr. Stoker told me he made 3 boats with this color combo one of which had a doctored engine (finger ported and idle holes plugged). I have not run a scope in a plug hole yet to see if I have one of the three. I might get to do that this weekend. I do know the engine has been into because the paint is off of the case bolts. It's either been rebuilt or its one of the 3.

WJ

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Rayzor;2517306]Mail him a check for $200.00 and tell him you're pre-paying for a setup sheet for your boat - setback, engine height and prop recommendations. Then, buy the props you need from him. What pisses guys like him off is when everybody goes to them for advice and then they go buy all the stuff elsewhere..........

Great suggestion, because time is money, and even though your rig is over 20 years old, Alan always treats you like you're his first sale!! A straight shooter with a wealth of information!
    why ask me ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2.5_stoker, I've read here that running the 300 on the surface will lead to gear case destruction. Can you all clear up what's good and bad about engine height?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From what I've read it will. "pinning" the carrier can and will help but it's just a matter of time still. You want to raise the engine as much as you can without losing water pressure to cool the motor or the prop losing bite on the water. The higher the motor the less of the lower in the water which means less drag and more speed.

John
    I was going so slow I almost crashed. - JamesGang

1978 24 Superboat - 250 EFI
    Sold: 1991 Starliner - 250 EFI Merc 3.0

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by williamj View Post
    2.5_stoker, I've read here that running the 300 on the surface will lead to gear case destruction. Can you all clear up what's good and bad about engine height?

Been running my dads v8 on the surface for years with no problems...As far as engine height go's im not sure where the 22 is going to want to be but the good about having the hydraulic transom is that you can move the motor into the sweet spot on the fly. for skiing and hauling a boat load of people around i drop the motor a bit deeper in to the water...it keeps the spray down for skiers and tubers and seems to get out of the hole better...Thats the sweet spot for that type of boating....Out hotrodding obviously i raise the motor up...it reduces drag by getting more of the motor and prop out of the water and as long as your prop has bite and you have good water pressure you will be more efficient on the top end...the other thing that I actually got from Al is that you have to work these boats into the sweet spot by adjusting motor height and trim on the fly (a set motor height is not the answer) ...That was advise that he gave me for my 20 footer that may or may not hold true on the 22, Al would be able to tell you for sure...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    At the rpm you are running you should be running faster, it sounds like you may have too much trim too soon. On the 22 if you trim to much early you will not get the boat broke loose and will not have the engine running parallel to the water. Try going out alone with the trim in and get it up to 50mph then touch the trim up and wait do this a few times and the boat should break loose now push the throttle down and once the rpm stops gaining tap the up again and wait. If the trim gauge reads correct you should not see it much past half way if it does you need to wait on the boat to catch up with the trim, if you get too much positive trim you will not get it to go fast. Since the boat is 20 plus years old I would also check that the ctr pod is straight the last 4 feet and that the plates are level with the tunnel. No jack etc your set up should run 80

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info. I can assure you I was trimming it too soon and too much. I was in the process of figuring out that I was trimming it too high. While investigating trim levels I would lower the trim and could feel the motor hook up much better. I'll keep everyone posted. Looks like this weekend will be a washout though.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a great day!! When I spoke with Mr. Stoker about this boat he told me that he made 3 with this color combo and that one of the 3 was an entry in the 1989 LA boat show. He also told me that if this was in fact that boat it has a modified engine with a good porting job and the relief holes plugged. Well I wasn't in all that much of a hurry to borrow my buddies borescope to see what I have cause my "luck" is never good on stuff like that. Anyway, I did finally get the scope and can you believe it the engine is ported with the relief holes plugged!!!!!! No wonder it doesn't have any problem turning 65-6600 while being down deep in the water!! Well of course since I had the scope I pulled all of the plugs to take a look and see if there was anything going on that needed to be addressed before the unspeakable and I thought I saw a piston that was broken above the ring. I pulled the head and was amazed at the condition of this engine. It has VERY minimal markings in the cylinders and only 1 tiny scratch in a cylinder right above an exhaust port. Nothing left to do but order head gaskets and go have fun...... Does anyone have a clue what kind of horsepower a 89 4.0l with these mods would make and what rpm it makes max HP?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5307.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	399.6 KB 
ID:	281432 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5309.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	401.1 KB 
ID:	281434
    Last edited by williamj; 08-18-2013 at 10:51 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting , finger ports !!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2