Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd29 View Post
    It's ironic you write this now. I'm putting items/information together for the display and came back in here looking for additional info and noticed I didn't really have much on Jack Ferris, the builder, along with Carl Stippich and Jim Merten. Little Red was sold to Dave Packer in 1976 and by the 80's was obsolete. All the other Twistercrafts we gone by then too so Jim Jr. could not have been in Little Red.

Jack was a great guy and was great with wood. He also carved ducks. He had a stroke in 83, I belive it was, and hasn't worked since. I think he is 86 now.

Here is a picture of Jack from last April. That is Jim Schuenke behind Jack.
    "Chas, my mecknick had very fond memories of "SHUNKEY", saw him the week before he died and he said he would have liked to have met with him just one more time, and to pass on his regards when we next met. Do that for me would you Mike, please. I'm rapidly running out of time and the cup doth overflow.
    What the hell you doing in a CANADA hat Butler? Questions will be asked ya know.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    "Chas, my mecknick had very fond memories of "SHUNKEY", saw him the week before he died and he said he would have liked to have met with him just one more time, and to pass on his regards when we next met. Do that for me would you Mike, please. I'm rapidly running out of time and the cup doth overflow.
    What the hell you doing in a CANADA hat Butler? Questions will be asked ya know.
    Jackie: I'll pass it along but he may see this. I think he is on here once in awhile.

Look close it's not a Canada hat. It's a Mercury Verado hat. It's worn a lot.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie: I'll pass it along but he may see this. I think he is on here once in awhile.

Look close it's not a Canada hat. It's a Mercury Verado hat. It's worn a lot.
    BACK IN THE DAY !!!!!!! Mercury headgear was chucked around like confetti, newborn babies were christened in them------old racers were buried wearing them,, but if it was to be the cremation bit, then there was no way the, bugger was wearing the Mercury .
    Told you I was on the time thiefs HELTER skelter, failing peepers, limpid digit, gout, arthritis, deaf aid, triple by pass, I've left my legs, right shoulder and wicked sense of humour on the donor card, forget the rest-----ain't worth the trouble.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad news, I just got word that Jack Ferris passed away. He was one of the Twistercraft builders. Great person.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sad news, I just got word that Jack Ferris passed away. He was one of the Twistercraft builders. Great person.
    Told you the time thief was on the loose Mike, better get those stories from, Billy, Bentz and the Reggie before they cop their clogs-------too late already for Sirois, MERT,and GG.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jack Ferris ....

I worked with Jack, we threw back more than a few beers together. Back in the early days, just before the Race Team was actually formed, Jack and I designed the layout for the Daytripper (the Merc parts truck). He built all of the racks that held the powerheads and gearcases that we took to the races. All of the cabinet work was also done by Jack. We did the same for the prop truck and the steelbody trucks. Later he was "loaned" to High Performance and we laid out the new leased space for the department. He built all of the different areas/offices that were used for the start of that group. In between these projects he did things like put new inside lifting strakes on the KT to help it get out of a turn faster than a rotary .... and they worked! As we have already mentioned, he was instrumental along with Carl Stippich in the construction of the five Twistercrafts ..... a talented man with a big heart!

Jack Ferris

1927 - 2014 | Obituary | Condolences

<!-- Jack Ferris --><!-- DisplayFullObituaryText --> Ferris, Jack L.

Jack L. Ferris, 87, of Oshkosh died Tuesday February 25, 2014, at Aurora Medical Center. He was born January 28, 1927 in Oshkosh a son of the late Jack H. and Jessie (Sheppard) Ferris. He married Marilyn Schmidt on May 21, 1949, in Oshkosh.

Jack was a member of Grace Lutheran Church in Omro and was a U.S. Army veteran. He had worked at Mercury Marine Outboard Racing Division and was also a carpenter, building many homes in the Oshkosh area. He enjoyed painting pictures and Christmas villages.

Jack is survived by his wife, Marilyn of Oshkosh; two daughters, Bonnie (Roy) Meulemans and Sherry (Phil) Lux both of Oshkosh; five grandchildren, Melissa (Ben) Koepke of Oshkosh, Ryan (Nicole) Meulemans of Apple Valley, MN, Cory (Jessica) Lux of Oshkosh, Shawn (Terri) Meulemans of Germantown, WI, and Jodi (Jason) Newell of Oshkosh; nine great-grandchildren, Brandi Stafford Lux, Bronson Lux, Addison Muelemans, Brock Koepke, Ty Meulemans, Zac Meulemans, Tatum Newell, Macoy Newell, and Bennett Meulemans; two sisters-in-law, Edith Frahm and Sue Schmidt; and several nieces and nephews.

A funeral service for Jack will be held Friday February 28, 2014 at 11:00 a.m. at Konrad-Behlman Funeral Home-Eastside, Rev. Richard Bartholomew officiating. Visitation will be held at the eastside funeral home on Thursday from 5-7 p.m. and on Friday from 10 a.m. until the service. Burial will be in Lake View Memorial Park. In lieu of flowers a memorial is being established to Park View Health Center.

Jack's family wishes to thank everyone who helped out in any way, especially the staff at Park View for the excellent care given and to the ICU at Aurora, especially Matt whose compassion was so very much appreciated

<center></center>

<center></center>

Published in Oshkosh Northwestern on Feb. 26, 2014
    Last edited by willabee; 02-26-2014 at 11:03 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear about MR. Ferris, if I met him I don't recall.
    So tell us what's happening with the Twistercraft Mike, we're three months into Mercurys seventy fifth and you owe it to MR. Ferris to show his creation around the world,Jesus H. Whatever happened to the publicity machine------we used to be creative, everyone copied MERCURY-------we were the leaders. Get a wriggle on Butler. !!!!!!!!
    Still say put a decent TRAILOR under Lil Red

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackiewilson View Post
    Sorry to hear about MR. Ferris, if I met him I don't recall.
    So tell us what's happening with the Twistercraft Mike, we're three months into Mercurys seventy fifth and you owe it to MR. Ferris to show his creation around the world,Jesus H. Whatever happened to the publicity machine------we used to be creative, everyone copied MERCURY-------we were the leaders. Get a wriggle on Butler. !!!!!!!!
    Still say put a decent TRAILOR under Lil Red

Jackie: I stopped by Exhibits a couple of weeks ago and the Twistercraft is on a display stand that they made so is ready to go into the museum that will open next month. There are several functions that are planned, for the 75th, throughout the year and already there have been a number of employee events that have taken place. The Marketing and Advertising departments have all the history on the Twistercrafts so we'll see how it is put to use. I have seen shots used on some of the promotion material pushing the history of the company.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jackie: I stopped by Exhibits a couple of weeks ago and the Twistercraft is on a display stand that they made so is ready to go into the museum that will open next month. There are several functions that are planned, for the 75th, throughout the year and already there have been a number of employee events that have taken place. The Marketing and Advertising departments have all the history on the Twistercrafts so we'll see how it is put to use. I have seen shots used on some of the promotion material pushing the history of the company.
    Mike, the company are not exactly setting the world on fire are they? Apart from a slight flurry of what could be mistaken for excitement when they did the Billy/ Weggie shoot, you did Lil Red and name me TWO happenings to celebrate the 75th !!! I might have missed one, but there is no way I could have missed two.
    All things considered, me myself think it's already something of a miracle that Mercury is still up and running and the Marine leader in the USA, if management had read the tarot cards right and done a great deal instead of a good deal to thwart of the Jap invasion, they coulda been undisputed Marine Leaders of the World.
    Betcha MR. K. Would agree with me ( he would probably have put OMC in his back pocket too).
    Enough of all this HH used to say " let's get out there and kill something ". TODAY WOULD BE NICE.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, I would hate you to think I was " badgering " you----merely giving a gentle nudge, guess once you get hooked on "THE BLACK" you stay addicted , we all did!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quetion? Looking for a new style twister Cowl. The plastic Cowl. My number is 912 678 4253. Thank you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't know what forum I posted on. Sorry don't want to be disrespectful. I do apologize. New to the site

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dave Packers #48 Twister Craft in Yellow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Twistercraft Dave P.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	483641
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by ADBrown; 03-08-2021 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Corrections

14. Likes Mark75H liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Island Boat

Quote Originally Posted by ADBrown View Post
    Dave Packers #48 Twister Craft in Yellow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Twistercraft Dave P.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	156.9 KB 
ID:	483641
    How did a Twistercraft get all the way down to Hawaii anyway? Any raceboat that ended up there probably never returned to the mainland.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twistercraft in Hawaii

Quote Originally Posted by WaterZebra View Post
    How did a Twistercraft get all the way down to Hawaii anyway? Any raceboat that ended up there probably never returned to the mainland.
    Dave Packer bought the boat around 1976. I towed it to Coos Bay Oregon and put in on a lumber barge bound for Honolulu. It took about 3 weeks to arrive, I partnered with Dave together we put a V-6 on it and ran a few races in Hawaii. Dave shipped the boat to Australia and promoted tunnel racing in the Sydney area for a few months. After returning we ran a few more races in Hawaii. Dave moved back to Rome NY and took the boat with him, see the following Thread to see the rest of the story.

Twistercraft Restoration

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast