Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowcat View Post
    .....static display???..... this may be a dumb question...but why not go the extra steps and make it water worthy for in water displays and exhibition running?

Agreed....even though Ted does all of his in water running on the trailer....

Mike: The best part about this is you could certainly get Billy to drive it one last time for a photo op.....
    Last edited by T2x; 09-17-2013 at 07:50 AM.
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    .....static display???..... this may be a dumb question...but why not go the extra steps and make it water worthy for in water displays and exhibition running?

Very good question. Prior to getting the boat I felt, like you, that it needed to be water ready so it could be run but also it needed to be restored to its exact original condition. After we got the boat that feeling changed for two reasons: First as long as Mercury owns it I don't think it will ever be run because of the liability. Second, it has to be ready by the end of the year and doing this part time I don't think I'd make it. As long you're going to go through the effort it should be 100% original. That means taking the decks and side boards off for not only the inspection needed but also so they can be replaced and clear coated instead of painted. Dave somewhere along the way installed two inspection covers, midway on the left side deck and they were patched with fiberglass when he removed them. Then as long as your going through the effort the bottom should be replaced too as it is pretty beat up. Add all that up plus fully rigging it to run with all the original parts needed I think it would be to time consuming.

Believe me I would love nothing better than to have Billy run it but I don't think it is in the cards, at least for this go around.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike: I like your shop decorations. The very first picture of the tear down has a GREAT picture on the wall above the belt sander. Waldman was one of the VERY best ever.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mbd29.... sorry still don't see the logic.....to many boats hanging in restaurants and bars now in my humble opinion where "beer" signs should be hanging.....I think your missing the boat on this one!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    mbd29.... sorry still don't see the logic.....to many boats hanging in restaurants and bars now in my humble opinion where "beer" signs should be hanging.....I think your missing the boat on this one!
    Ted: I think that Mike explained the Mercury Marine liability issue well. On the other hand we in APBA/CBF Vintage are trying our best to get more OPC vintage hulls on the circuit for either static or in water display purposes. Maybe at the end of this effort Mercury (with a little nudge from Mr. Butler) might see fit to at least bring these hulls to a few events ( Clayton first and foremost) for display on land and get a little Marketing benefit at the same time?
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rich & Mike.... I understand the liability issue-but everything Mercury sells from parts to motors to accesories has that issue... why if a child died choking on a bag a part came in mercury would be sued .....its a sue everyone in sight world.....I will move on as I don't want this to be negative.... I commend you on restoring the boat in no uncertain terms and like Rich can't wait to see it a boat shows and especially events like Clayton.... and encourage you to bring it out once done for all of us to enjoy.... getter done

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mike schmidt View Post
    Mike: I like your shop decorations. The very first picture of the tear down has a GREAT picture on the wall above the belt sander. Waldman was one of the VERY best ever.
    Mike:
    I did not have the pleasure of meeting Jerry but he and Gary Garbrecht were close and Gary had a lot of good things to say about him. I'm sure you know Mercury has the boat and engine. Trying to get it displayed along with the other race boats for next year's 75th.. Jerry's wife loaned it to Gary (Mercury) with the stipulation that if we decide to let it go it would have to go to APBA for display in their museum. Gary kept reminding me just about every time we talked.
    This may be known to those who knew Jerry but prior to Gary's death he related a story to me regarding Jerry. Apparantly he, Gary, was at some sort of function in the 90's, I believe, and he met a gentleman and were talking and come to find out he was Jerry's boss at AC. Can't remember his name but he told Gary that the race he was killed in was to be his last. Jerry was a rising star at AC and he was moving up the ladder and the company didn't want him racing.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little Red is now primed and I should have the color on by this weekend. The breakaway steering is an early system as it is welded up. It is in pretty good shape so will only need cleaning and paint.. I have the local company that does a lot of our sign work doing the logos and have received the initial layout and they look good.
    Denis Berghauer asked me a while back if I had any info on the picklefork Twistercraft. I said I knew nothing about it. He said Gary had Carl copy a new Molinari, must have been after the rhino nose boat Reggie ran, to compare performance. Apparently it was not very fast so never was raced. He said it was scraped shortly after.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10-27-2013 001.jpg   10-27-2013 007.jpg   10-27-2013 009.jpg   Twistercraft Steering 001.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On another note I was talking to Earl Bentz a couple of weeks ago and I asked him if he ever ran the boat that Danny Piggot was running in the big Miami blowover in 75. He said no but indicated that Bruce Robertson (Wild Geeche fame) actually built the boat off of Carl's design.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the hull and cowls painted red over the weekend. Hopefully the strips, varnish the inside, and build the bunks for the trailer this weekend. Then re paint the steering so I can start rigging it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2013-11-04 008.jpg   2013-11-04 009.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

restoring .....

Quote Originally Posted by mbd29 View Post
    I got the hull and cowls painted red over the weekend. Hopefully the strips, varnish the inside, and build the bunks for the trailer this weekend. Then re paint the steering so I can start rigging it.
    I knew that with all the years you have lasted at Merc, you must have been doing some special work for them somewhere. Well, now the secrets out, you have been painting driveshaft housings all this time!

Looks great Mike, you are well on your way back to the seventies, nice work.
    Last edited by willabee; 11-04-2013 at 08:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    I knew that with all the years you have lasted at Merc, you must have been doing some special work for them somewhere. Well, now the secrets out, you have been painting driveshaft housings all this time!

Looks great Mike, you are well on your way back to the seventies, nice work.
    ditto..... I remember thinking that it took brass b*lls to run that thing with a V6....but by God it ran like it was born for that power. Thanks for the memories....and remember to bring her to an event or two.... (Clayton, NY August 2014.....??)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, that looks great. Can't wait to see it completed. Nice work!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scribed-- Great interesting thread! Thanks Gary

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Mike , I have some killer pics of that rig in all my dad's stuff.....pm me your address and I'll get u a box to ship up there.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast