Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twistercraft Restoration

I will be starting the Little Red restoration and took a few before shots. More to follow when I get the boat home. Nice to see the record boat and Twistercraft together.

It is not in to bad of shape but there are some soft spots but shouldn't be to hard to fix.

Lots more to follow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3124.jpg   2013 EAA 001.jpg   DSCN3125.jpg   DSCN3126.jpg   DSCN3131.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

72 Nationals

Billy sent me this from Powerboat magazine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Billy & Twistercraft.pdf  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mike, this is great! Glad to see them finally out of the mothballs, hanger & rafters! Please share with everyone, a bit of their history & importance. Wow...this is cool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Restoration .....

Quote Originally Posted by FUJIMO View Post
    Mike, this is great! Glad to see them finally out of the mothballs, hanger & rafters! Please share with everyone, a bit of their history & importance. Wow...this is cool.
    I agree, this could be very cool. If you can, tell us what the plans are for Lil Red. Paint scheme, number, power, etc. Will it run again, if so, who gets the nod for the steering wheel (FYI .... I still have a helmet & jacket )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willabee View Post
    I agree, this could be very cool. If you can, tell us what the plans are for Lil Red. Paint scheme, number, power, etc. Will it run again, if so, who gets the nod for the steering wheel (FYI .... I still have a helmet & jacket )
    Don't even think about letting Willa anywhere near it----he blows tunnels !!!!!!!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How this came about goes back to the 70's when I was racing. I had seen Billy run Little/Lil Red at a number of races. Unlike Jackie I thought the boat was pretty cool. It came out as the newer boats were going to pickle forks but I just liked the way it ran. When I started at Mercury in 1975 the boat was sitting in the yard not being used. Dave Packer purchased the boat in 1976. I know he ran it for a few years until it was obsolete. When he got it he painted it yellow. It is still yellow under the current red paint. I knew over the years that Dave kept the boat. I think it was in the early 2000's that John Sherlock sent me a picture of it in the Rome, NY Sports Museum. This was some time after Dave passed away. I even thought I might try to buy it several years ago but gave up on that knowing with my involvement in airplanes it wouldn't give me much time to do anything with it.

I new Mercury was going to go all out for our 75th anniversary next year and eventually there are plans for a permanent museum here in Fond du Lac. Not sure when that will happen. So, I approached a member of committee that was organizing the event and explained that this was a boat that Mercury built. I went through the history of the boats and that this was the only one left of the five that were built. The head of the committee asked what I thought it was worth. I gave him a number and he said try to get it. It worked and it is now here. Plans are to have it ready by the end of the year. Shouldn't be a problem.

As far as paint goes I was going to try and strip the paint on the decks and sides and redo them in clear but after stripping some of the paint off I don't think that will work with all the body filler on it. So, we would have to put new decks and sides on it. I also understand Carl bleached the wood to give it that rich look. That will be a lot of work and with all the other work needed I think we will just repaint it like it is with red decks and sides. As far as the scheme goes I think that with Billy running it the most and setting the record in Miami we will go with the "Twistercraft by Mercury" scheme and his 190 number. Bob Spalding also ran it as well as Mert but I still think it would be best with Billy's number. The boat ran with the C6, TII, TIIX and T3. There are not any C6 or T3 engines but we do have the TII and TIIX. The top cowl of the TII we have was damaged several years ago and the boat's transom is cut down for the shorter center section so I think we will go with the TIIX. It will not run again for two reasons. First he company won't let it happen (liability) and I think after all these years I would be concerned with the glue joints if it was run at higher speeds. Slower I wouldn't be concerned because, from what you can see it does look good. If you want Bill I'll ask and see if they will let you run it. You would have to be second though as I still have my racing jacket too. Jackie would have to be third.

For this forum I think I'll re-post the photos you already have posted and add a few more so all are in one location. Also, we should re-post all the information you supplied on the order in which they were built and and what happened to them so that is here too. That way everything is in one location for future reference.

I'll keep updating as time permits. I also want to got through the files and pull all the photos of Mert's record boat and start a thread on it as well. It will also be displayed too.

I guess we should start with the first Twistercraft photo. It has Bob Hering's number with Mert driving.

Willabee if I make any mistakes here please correct me. I saw Denis and Dee Berghauer last week and Denis shot me a curve ball on the Twistercraft's. When I can get more details I will post it. It is one I never heard before.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1st Twistercraft.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Twistercraft #2

These are shots of Dewey Berghauer running in Havasu in 1971
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ---_0124.jpg   ---_0092.jpg   ---_0154.jpg   ---_0166.jpg  

Annapolis, MD ragboat capital of the world
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I wonder what that extra decals says on the top of the motor?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bring your helmet and Jacket to Rideau Ferry, ONtario ....this weekend or OFF in Florida this fall. We'll let you drive something.....
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I wonder what that extra decals says on the top of the motor?
    looks like FJTwister, edit............yep it's FjTwister..
    Last edited by Capt.Insane-o; 08-14-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave Packer

Dave sure knew how to get the ladies. This is him with Diane Cannon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dave and Diane Canon in HI.pdf  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FjTwister .....

No idea of what that means, don't remember it even being on the cowl. Must be some more of that secret stuff between Mert & the Berghauers?

If I remember this correctly, one of the very first C6's that came to us from Dr. Morgan's group in Fondy had a "BMF" decal on the cowl. I asked Jim Acheson what it stood for, he just laughed and said "look at the size of that thing!"
    Last edited by willabee; 08-15-2013 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

drive something ..... ?

Quote Originally Posted by T2x View Post
    Bring your helmet and Jacket to Rideau Ferry, ONtario ....this weekend or OFF in Florida this fall. We'll let you drive something.....
    There isn't much incentive in that offer!

Actually, that was very nice, thank you. However, I suspect that if I find myself having to use a life jacket for it's intended purpose, having just destroyed someone's restored treasure will not be #1 on my "Oh-Oh!" list.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is color footage of this boat at the 42 second mark in the video 1971 Lake Havasu World Outboard Championships, on my site "Tunnel Boat Racing in the '70's!" One of the few C-6's in the race, that year, which was also the last year of multiple outboard racing, as we know it!
    Quote Originally Posted by mbd29 View Post
    These are shots of Dewey Berghauer running in Havasu in 1971

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    having just destroyed someone's restored treasure will not be #1 on my "Oh-Oh!" list.
    No big deal....I do it all the time
    20 Foot Switzer Wing 2 X S3000 (Dust'n the Wind II)
    !6 foot Wood Eltro Vee (2X Merc 1500's) (Dust'n the Wind IV)
    15 foot Powercat 15C (2 X Merc 1500) (Dust'n the Wind III)
    (Single engine boats are lacking something)
    15’ Wooden Switzer Shooting Star...
    16 foot Lee Craft Merc S 3000-(Gold Dust II)
    (The exception proves the rule)
    Obsolete and Proud of it

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast