Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Part 2 of 2: What is up with my motor! Low on power after pulling power head.

I've been having some overheating issues with my 1988 Mercury 45hp Pro-Fifty. After pulling the powerhead, I replaced some gaskets and other issues. The power head never came apart but I did take one of the carb bowls off and replaced a needle and this little metal float stop. I tried not to move the shift/throttle cables and had them taped when I had the power head off. Now that the motor is back together, it still has the overheat alarm, still idles/starts fine and sounds good. However, when i floor it, the boat is down on power. It doesn't stumble or sound like it's missing...but clearly down on power. Think this is related to my throttle cables? Carb? How do I trouble shoot this?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: Took the boat out again. It goes through periods of running slow (can't even get on a plane at WOT) to running just fine and hauling butt. I would say 60% of the time it runs at 80% power. 15% of time time it runs great, and 25% of the time its a dawg and can't even get on a plane. Intermittent spark? Bad gas?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bad gas maybe? maybe you set the carb float to low and you have a lean condition?
    1984 17vee Bullet w/1985 Johnson 150gt (bob's nose cone, hydrodynamics custom 8in. jackplate, custom skid plate and foil, and 26p trophy plus) currently 70mph tournament loaded.

Wright City, MO USA(Transplanted Seattlite)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Air sucking into the fuel system?

Use a temporary clear hose between the fuel pump and carbs to see if any air bubbles keep passing thru.

Remember to remove that clear hose once finished testing as it is NOT rated for fuel, only a very short term testing tool.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check linkage that connects twwo carbs together, easy to misalign & end up w/ only one carb opening

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone have a good how to on how to adjust/clean carbs? Probably not a bad time to learn.

Wright City, MO USA(Transplanted Seattlite)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a factory service manual?

Aftermarket manual leave a lot out, factory spell out everything.

Send me a PM with a good email address, I may have one that fits your motor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yep get the factory service manual. I had that and was lucky enough to find a very good video on youtube that used almost the same carbs as mine. Its very simple and straight forward. the video used seafoam to pour into everything then let it sit for 5-15 minutes, but no longer. And to help with possible air leaks you just replace all fuel lines and clamp them with metal hose clamps not just zip ties. Had a guy go to napa auto parts and get the alcohol rated fuel line that dragsters use to put in his boat so he didn't even have to think about possible ethanol corrosion. Also if you have a primer bulb and you decide to replace it try to find an older model. Most of the new suck and cause problems after a couple years. Oh and getting a carb kit these days usually comes with new gaskets that are more resistant to the ethanol.
    1984 17vee Bullet w/1985 Johnson 150gt (bob's nose cone, hydrodynamics custom 8in. jackplate, custom skid plate and foil, and 26p trophy plus) currently 70mph tournament loaded.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Charlie, you have a PM

Thanks for the help everyone!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, the boat now runs great. I did the following:

Drain all the old gas
    Replaced the quick disconnect fittings with just brass nipples to minimize any air leakage
    Cleaned the bottom carb only
    And what I actually think was this issue : set the float height. It was off from when I replaced the needle and a generic manual I found online help me get it correct.

Gonna replace the plugs and then put her up for sale! Thanks!