Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IllinoisRiverRat 1980 Champion Swift/1980...Prop setup

Hey all I bought this boat about 3 months ago as a project. I was wondering about my setup on it. Its 16ft, weighs 965lbs, I am running a 3blade 13 3/4x 21- quick slver SST prop 48 16318 21p with major pulling when on the juice with 2 adults and 2 kids I run around 58.6mph at 5500rpms with alot of throttle left to go. I haven't ran the motor that hard yet since I just replaced all fuel lines, fuel pump, cleaned carbs, unistalled the idle stabilzer have it at idling at 950rpms on muffs, and times to 23 degrees at WOT. It did have a whale tale on it I filed 13 that crap cause the boat just wanted to run flat like a car and I cold not trim it out at speed. I want to able run this at around 6500rpms haul up and on pad with some better mph's out of her. I have a 19p High Five I just installed and haven't ran beacause of being sick. I was told that the high 5 would help my steering but being a 5 blade spin the around the same rpm as my 21p 3 blade. So give it to the newbee and let me here all of your opions on my set and such. I wanna fly her out of the water and get max speed or until she chine walks thats my limit. Since I always have my best friend, his son and mine with me. Keep in mind that I also would like a setup just for myself and the gps to go play also. Feed me some knowledge.
    Thanks
    Frank
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1015374_10200528900043317_1295384313_o.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	265.2 KB 
ID:	279576
    Last edited by IllinoisRiverRat; 07-19-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Setup is key! Does it have a jackplate now or a setback plate? 8" probably a good starting point. Torque on wheel will go down as you raise the motor height. If you don't have a low water pickup (LWP) you'll only be able to raise it till you loose water pressure. Do you have a pressure gauge?

as far as props go you want one that'll naturally lift the boat. You shouldn't have to trim to the moon to get lift, the prop should do the work while you maintain neutral trim. I've got a 24" chopper you are more than welcome to try. At 950 lbs it might work well
    Sunsation 32 Dominator - 496 MAG HOs

Nothing runs like a Deere when a CAT's on it's ASS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by njj502 View Post
    Setup is key! Does it have a jackplate now or a setback plate? 8" probably a good starting point. Torque on wheel will go down as you raise the motor height. If you don't have a low water pickup (LWP) you'll only be able to raise it till you loose water pressure. Do you have a pressure gauge?

as far as props go you want one that'll naturally lift the boat. You shouldn't have to trim to the moon to get lift, the prop should do the work while you maintain neutral trim. I've got a 24" chopper you are more than welcome to try. At 950 lbs it might work well
    No I dont have a set back or a jack plate. The boat has the built diamond pattern on transom is all. I would intersted in a set back or a jack plate. I would like to pick your guy's brains about my water pickup is there any mods I can do to my lower unit to do this? If I run a chopper prop would you do a mid leg drill to help with pressure around prop also. Like I said here comes the newbee questions.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Find a good 6-8" manual jackplate. They are cheap. I might know someone who has a few laying around.....

You can modify the water pickups with scoops (used on stock lower) or have someone put a nosecone on it with a LWP. Drilling the mid won't do much unless you put a different tuner it it and that requires pulling the powerhead.

Ask away, we'll get you squared away.
    Sunsation 32 Dominator - 496 MAG HOs

Nothing runs like a Deere when a CAT's on it's ASS!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Frank, the misses and I are kicking around cruising some new-ish water and may end up down your way. Would be glad to swing by and socialize a bit and see what ya have goin' on if'n we make it down thataway.
    1976 Hydrostream Viper - 2.5 EFI
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonik View Post
    Frank, the misses and I are kicking around cruising some new-ish water and may end up down your way. Would be glad to swing by and socialize a bit and see what ya have goin' on if'n we make it down thataway.
    Well I live over here in San Jose, IL. If your going to coming over this way send me a pm and I'll give ya my address and phone number would love to have some company I amy not be moving fast cause I have tubes hanging out of me still but I would be willing to feed my brain with ideas and get some of them in process. I am excited about getting this old girl dialed this year. Then over the winter I want to redo the trailer and some other upgrades. I can't help it that I feel in love with this old boat lol.
    Thanks
    Frank
    Last edited by IllinoisRiverRat; 07-19-2013 at 03:39 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested in a set back or jack plate if thats the best starting place. Do you think the High Five would be better than the 3 blade I listed to start?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    PM sent.....
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." -G. K. Chesterton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank....You get Jeff, Nick, and any/all your friends you boat with together and bring your boat by the shop. Everything you need is there. The Champion will run fine.

Rock
    Team Junk

No sparkling wiggles in here, only dump truck grinches.

"Screamin Heathen"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rock View Post
    Frank....You get Jeff, Nick, and any/all your friends you boat with together and bring your boat by the shop. Everything you need is there. The Champion will run fine.

Rock
    Man you guys are the coolest I just opened up shop in case Sonik comes by my poor old boat is sitting in yard and never back into the garage yet its right where I had my spell and left when I had to be taken to the hospital. Gonna make my boys un-tarp and move her up closer to shop. I have to start my IV stuff here at 5:30 and will be off of it in a hr. So I will get back with ya I am going to be just hanging tonight relaxing. Rock,thank you man you guys are the best is all I can say. Not too many people out there anymore like you guys I hope I can contribute with any of my knowledge and skills to offer you guys back in return.
    Thanks You,
    Frank Cross

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sonik was great hanging out made my night so nice to talk boats and chill. Your always welcome here brother hope to get better quick to show some of our stretches of the river. A great night with some of the best medicine I could ever have.
    Thanks,
    Frank

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Glad to hang out with you and the fam for a bit Frank. Boat is in great shape and is super cool...and rare. We'll get ya where ya wanna be....all ya gotta do is let us know how far you want to go with it. Randy is the best guy on the planet and I owe him an awful lot for his time and wisdom....he kept me from doing stupid stuff early on. The offer is there and its on the table, so get better and then we can start flippin' some wrenches. Talk at you soon!

Jeff
    Resto Thread Here
    2010 Go-Pro Stuff

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonik View Post
    Glad to hang out with you and the fam for a bit Frank. Boat is in great shape and is super cool...and rare. We'll get ya where ya wanna be....all ya gotta do is let us know how far you want to go with it. Randy is the best guy on the planet and I owe him an awful lot for his time and wisdom....he kept me from doing stupid stuff early on. The offer is there and its on the table, so get better and then we can start flippin' some wrenches. Talk at you soon!

Jeff
    Thanks again Jeff just closed up shop momma orders I have a nurse showing up a 5:30 am and not for the right reasons lol. Glad ya came down get me healed up and its on. I listened to everything you had to say and I will be getting my stuff squared away.
    Thanks Again,
    Frank

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been looking for low water scoops to start. Whats the best ones to run? Jeff has the low down on how my stuff is setup and for sure has a better idea of what I got. He said I have a old school dual ram motor and my trim pump is in boat not on motor. So whats the work around for a Jack plate here also since I have 2 lines coming through the hull? What kind of set back should a guy run? Sounds like Rock is the man I am sure there is some mad science to the correct layout. I am going to post a video and show you all how flat this boat runs at around 58mph with 4 of us in it on GPS. Brains hungry lol feed the machine lol.

Thanks
    Frank

PS
    Jeff no leaks today on carbs if my wife would leave for a bit I would have one of my crazy friends dump me in I know I shouldn't but hey only love once right!!!!
    Last edited by IllinoisRiverRat; 07-20-2013 at 11:11 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys you know the 168 Swift from Champion is based on the Hydrostream Viper, Champion bought a Skeeter Wrangler which was exact splash of the Viper and Splashed it, added a turning chine, and Poof Champion Hull

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast