Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Optimax 150 Oil Pump Prime Help

2000 Optimax 150. Replaced oil pump and 2 hoses. Manual says the pump needs to be primed whenever a hose is removed or the pump replaced. To start oil pump prime I turned key to on and moved shifter from neutral to forward 5 times. Nothing happens. At least I do not hear anything. Tried it numerous times. Nothing. WHen key is turned to on the normal beep is heard. All the 20 amp fuses look okay. I am sliding into severe depression as the salmon are running here big time. This is what I have been waiting for all year. I am wondering if the pump is bad although it is brand new from Crowley Marine. I can not bear to have to pull that out again and wait for a new one. Gotta be something simple here. Please, someone must have a solution. Help!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Disconnect the elec fuel pump so you can hear the oil pump run. It makes clicking sounds. You have only 10 seconds to turn the key and do the throttle 5 times. You have to be real quick. Or hit the white sensor button on the throttle slide where the shift cable hooks to the slide mechanism 5 times.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did not know about the sensor button. Interesting. I will try tht approach. In regards to moving the throttle forward 5 times, I am assuming the neutral button is pushed in so as to not actually engage the gears correct? also is the throttle need to be push all the way forward each time or just partially? Thanks you so much for your help.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just go from neutral to fwd and back to neutral quickly 5 times in 10 secs. NO fast idle detent. The sensor on the gear shift slide is the one that tells the computer the action of the gearshift.

83 V-King, 96 Mariner, 200 hp ff block 2.5 w/a 28p choppa
    We gotta clean this liberal mess up, VOTE TRUMP TO MAGA!
    Rebuild thread:
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...-it&highlight=
    http://www.screamandfly.com/showthre...cs.&highlight=
    Videos

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not see a sensor button at the engine as you describe.
    I see black wired switch on the rocker arm where the throttle moves on the engine.
    I see three wires that run from the remote shifter at the helm that must run back to the engine. Wondering if these wires send shift signals. Regardless still can't get the prime sequence to start. Is it possible the pumped is already primed? What could happen if I started the motor ? Would it shut down if the pump is not primed or would it cause damage?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you start the engine before completing the oil pump prime you will end up with a blown engine because you will starve it for oil. Just turn the key switch on, shift the engine into fwd several times and you will hear the oil pump ticking. Don't press the button to disengage the shift mechanism because the shift switch is what the computer is looking for to start the prime process. If that still does not work go to a mercury dealer that has the CDS tool. They can activate the oil pump process that way. In my opinion having a dealer do that for you would be better since it won't restart the break in procedure

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Obrien. Yes The dealer is an option but only when I have given up. I prefer to ride around for hours first instead of asking for directions. Cant help myself. Besides the dealer is quite aways and includes a hefty grade to pull a trailer over.
    At any rate There has to be a logical reason why the shift switch prime method is not kicking in here. I have determined there is current to the pump based on getting a volt meter reading that reads when the key is first turned to on but no volt reading after completing the shift switch procedure. WHere is the signal coming from, at the remote shifter or at the throttle switch on the engine? Assuming the pump is good, what or where could there be connections or fuses, swtches that can be checked? What I would like to do is to check everything possible to get the manual prime sequence working before I give up and go to the deal on monday.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not 100% sure but if I remember correctly the computer controls the ground circuit on the oil pump. As far as what puts it into prime mode the computer is looking for a signal from the shift switch to tell it to put the oil pump into prime mode. It's possible you could have a bad shift switch. Tha could explain why the computer is not activating the prime mode
    Last edited by obrien; 06-29-2013 at 06:03 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes!!!!!! That's it! Tested the shift switch continuity and it's bad. So I tricked the computer by turning key to on and using a jump wire to act like the switch turning on and off. Pump started right up and ran about a minute. Done. Thank you all.
    Going fishing for salmon tomorrow!

10. Thanks houser thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get that shift switch replaced

glad you got it working

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the switch on order. However since the lower cowl has to be removed I was planning on installing it along with other repairs/maintenance later after the summer season. Is there any risk to waiting on this? I understand this switch controls the rpm while in nuetral to reduce torque load on the gearcase. I do not understand why this is needed as it goes into gear from idle anyway ?????
    [SIGPIC]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wanted to post a quick thank you, as I had exactly this issue and this truly helped me!
    Jumped the sensor switch and got the oil prime going. Many big thanks!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use throttle shift method to prime the system you will place the engine in break in mode. You need the diagnostics to prime the system.
    Popey

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Popey.
    If this comment was for me, the information I have is that it will not hurt the engine with some extra oil for 2 hours.
    The two hour break-in will be one trip to the island I live so no big deal for me. If you have other info I would be interested of course.
    Many thanks