Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Another Favorite: Allison 15 with Merc T3 1750XS

This is another of my favorite boats on Scream And Fly - Norris' Allison 15 with a Merc T3. If I recall, this photo was taken for a magazine story about wickedly fast machines, with the reporter sitting on the fuel tank. Check out the look on his face - it looks like that motor is frightening him. I still can't imagine what it's like to have that kind of power on that small Allison. I hope Norris will come on here to give us more details about this one. There really hasn't been much information posted about the Merc T3 in comparison to the more well-known 1500XS.

I love this boat - it is what Scream And Fly is entirely about. Imagine showing up at the local boat launch ramp with that rig? I bet that would draw a crowd.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	allison_t3.jpg 
Views:	444 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	278203

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's another one, what cool boats!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100_0570 edited.jpg  

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would have my attention at the local ramp
    Nitrous is like a slut. u wanna hit it but you know there will be consequences.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Greg, you've got better pictures of my old stuff than I do. That was actually a 15' boat and the first Allison I ever owned as well as my first really fast boat. It started with a Shortshaft 1500 and was an old Bateman Marine (Martinez Ga) sponsored raceboat. I first upgraded it to 1500XS, then T2 and then the T3, later putting a 2.4 powerhead on the champ mid with the 6 one barrel Tillotsens. That boat ran something like 103 or 104 at the NOA Kilos in Knoxville in about 1977. Actually I still have it tucked away in a warehouse. The 16' Allison, my second boat was decked over and the one I blew over and almost killed myself in. Maybe you've got a picture of it too?

That was a newspaper sports editor sitting on the gas tank. I scared the crap out of him. He was doing a series of articles in the paper about sportswriters doing something dangerous and living to tell about it. I made one pass with him in the boat sitting on the tank at about a hundred, and then let him drive it. He could only run it into the 60's maybe before the gyration (chine walk) made him get out of the throttle. With the little Super Speedmaster gearcase it was actually very easy to drive, and at the higher speeds required almost no steering input to run dead straight up on the pad.

The years haven't been kind to it, and although it's been inside now for over 20 years it'd still need a complete resto to use again, but I can't make myself get rid of it.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Chummy's boat in post number two is another really cool one. Duanne Locklear in S. Florida had that boat with a 1500XS on it the first time I saw it. I ended up buying the 1500XS, but passed on the boat because I thought it had been painted or clear coated. I found out later that it was original gel and just that nice. After Duanne sold me the engine he put a T2X on it. Chummy ended up buying it with no power (I THINK) and put the V6 on it. I haven't seen it lately, but last time I did it would have to be one of the nicest original 16' Ally's in existence.
    Membership upgrade options: http://www.screamandfly.com/payments.php

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Such a cool story to go with a really cool boat. I wasn't positive if it was a 15 or 16. I think I'll go back and edit my post to correct that. I do remember your other Allison in which you had that terrible blowover and resulting injuries - I remember you telling me the story on that one. I think I do have a photo of that boat somewhere, showing you running it really fast. I'll look for it on my backup drives.

I can't imagine 100+ in a 15' Allison. That must be such a wicked ride - especially sitting on the fuel tank. I would imagine that in 1977 there were not many lake boats running over 100, or even close to it. I just love the Merc T3/Allison combination - it is the epitome of a classic, bad-to-the-bone outboard hot rod.

Wasn't the T3 introduced in 1975? It's a 2-liter that was in production before Mercury introduced the V6 into the consumer market, right? I have a scan of an original promotion brochure for the T3 somewhere. Maybe somebody else has a copy of that and can post it.

Norris, I'm happy to hear that you still own that Allison. I imagine a boat being such a part of your history like that is something you would want to hold on to. Do you still have the T3 and the 2.4 with the six carbs? I always meant to ask too - do you have a copy of the story in the newspaper about this reporter's ride? I bet that was a really cool article.

Quote Originally Posted by Raceman View Post
    Greg, you've got better pictures of my old stuff than I do. That was actually a 15' boat and the first Allison I ever owned as well as my first really fast boat. It started with a Shortshaft 1500 and was an old Bateman Marine (Martinez Ga) sponsored raceboat. I first upgraded it to 1500XS, then T2 and then the T3, later putting a 2.4 powerhead on the champ mid with the 6 one barrel Tillotsens. That boat ran something like 103 or 104 at the NOA Kilos in Knoxville in about 1977. Actually I still have it tucked away in a warehouse. The 16' Allison, my second boat was decked over and the one I blew over and almost killed myself in. Maybe you've got a picture of it too?

That was a newspaper sports editor sitting on the gas tank. I scared the crap out of him. He was doing a series of articles in the paper about sportswriters doing something dangerous and living to tell about it. I made one pass with him in the boat sitting on the tank at about a hundred, and then let him drive it. He could only run it into the 60's maybe before the gyration (chine walk) made him get out of the throttle. With the little Super Speedmaster gearcase it was actually very easy to drive, and at the higher speeds required almost no steering input to run dead straight up on the pad.

The years haven't been kind to it, and although it's been inside now for over 20 years it'd still need a complete resto to use again, but I can't make myself get rid of it.

Facebook | YouTube | Vintage Outboard Catalogs
    Photo prints available of your boat - click here

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Great photos ! My friend Larry Muller (Island Seafood in Farmingdale NY ) had a 15 Allison with an 85 Merc, round aluminum tank , back in 72 or 73 . Took me for a ride out Jones Inlet in it on a calm evening !
    " The Fleet of Old Boats "

'73 -14' Orlando Clipper Skiff -Yamaha 25
    93- 18 ' Renegade Nomad Flats boat -Merc 150
    '94 - 21 ' Allison XB - 2003 -Merc 260
    '97 - 19 ' STV Euro - Merc - 260
    '99 Benninton 2375 TOONER - V-6- 2 liter 150 Mariner
    2001 Grady White 263 - Twin Yamaha 250 OX 66

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That photo is an absolute classic and made even better because it is black and white. The full retro treatment. Look at the lines on that old 15. Great stuff.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that boat is crazy! definitely what SnF is about.

96' STV Euro

Smarta$$ of the
    Sunshine Syndicate,

How to upload pics (click here)

Quote Originally Posted by jphii View Post
    Well then, give her a $50 bottle of booze and don't let her know about the hookers, or what you spend on them
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadAction View Post
    oh no. i just realized I am the voice of reason on a thread. i am so done, RIP 1Bad.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those 2 boats are so Cool.

Dave
    1980 Cougar 19 tunnel,90 2.4L Bridgeport EFI in middle of restoration.
    1988 BAJA Sunsport 186, 96 225 Pro Max
    79 12' Auminum, 95 Merc 9.9
    RIP Stu
    "So many idiots, so few bullets"